AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
Does anybody have experience with switching to a new permanent SIN from a temporary one? I'm assuming that we will just write CRA and advise them so they transfer amounts over (RRSP room, TFSA room etc.).

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
You do not have to write to CRA. When you get a new SIN, that information is shared with CRA. Before you file your taxes in Febraury, call CRA to confirm that both your old SIN and new SIN have been linked together. If so, use your new SIN when you file taxes. This is what I was told when I called to inquire how it works.

The only other thing to do is provide the new SIN to your employer and bank. The bank will then update your SIN on your RRSP, TFSA, etc.

Reactions: StudyMaster

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011

veri

Star Member
Jan 16, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2011
Doc's Request.
NO
AOR Received.
07-09-2011
File Transfer...
15-12-2011
Med's Request
07-09-2011
Med's Done....
14-09-2011
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
17-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2012
LANDED..........
07-02-2012
Yes, I was told the same three days ago - to use the new SIN number when filling taxes for 2011, just change the SIN with a bank and an employer.

nicholas90

Mar 25, 2012
Hello

I am on a working holiday visa, and will be getting my PR. Does anybody know whether once i am granted pr, and change my sin number, whether my credit score with transfer along... or is it a fresh start? As a completly new file...

I hope i have explained it well enough.

Thanks for any feedback.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
All records under the old SIN continue to exist even when you receive the new SIN. The numbers are simply linked together. A credit check on you will pull up information under the old SIN as well.

nicholas90 said:
Hello

I am on a working holiday visa, and will be getting my PR. Does anybody know whether once i am granted pr, and change my sin number, whether my credit score with transfer along... or is it a fresh start? As a completly new file...

I hope i have explained it well enough.

Thanks for any feedback.

canadavasi

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks SenoritaBella, one question though, you mentioned 'The numbers are simply linked together'; how does this happen, do we have to request Equifax or Transunion (credit agencies) to do this? How would they know about the change in our SIN #s otherwise? Thanks for your help.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
CRA does it, not sure how. No need to request it from the credit agencies but inform your bank and employer about the change. I don't know how credit agencies know about the change, but a credit lender or landlord can perform a credit check on you without your SIN by using your name, date of birth, credit card #s, current & former addresses, etc.

canadavasi said:
Thanks SenoritaBella, one question though, you mentioned 'The numbers are simply linked together'; how does this happen, do we have to request Equifax or Transunion (credit agencies) to do this? How would they know about the change in our SIN #s otherwise? Thanks for your help.

Mike_Thompson

Dec 6, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
All records under the old SIN continue to exist even when you receive the new SIN. The numbers are simply linked together. A credit check on you will pull up information under the old SIN as well.

Actually this is incorrect. The credit agencies are unrelated to any bank/government. What actually happens is when you update with your banks, the banks will then update on their next filing reports to Equifax/Transunion these changes if you have any credit facilities with them such as line of credit/mortgage/car loans/credit cards etc. and Equifax/Transunion is programmed to pick up on the changes.

You can also go to Equifax and Transunion and there is a form where you can update/change information. You would be required to send also 2 ID copies with this update that can be faxed and will be updated within about 48 hours (they're lazy sometimes so call them after 2-3 days to confirm).

Reactions: phanikiran.kara

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Yes, the banks update on their next filling but you are only getting a new SIN not a new identity/records. Anyone with authorized access will always be able to tell that you used to have one with a '9' and now you have a new one.

So bad credit under old SIN, will show up under new SIN. If you owe taxes to Revenue Canada on old SIN, it shows up too under new SIN. That's what I mean by "records continue to exist". How do I know this?

1. a revenue canada agent told me(before I filed taxes with my new SIN) that both numbers are linked together, such that they know I am one and the same person.
2. I have obtained my credit report using my new SIN and the records are exactly the same as those I had under the old SIN.

This is what I meant by the records continuing to exist.

Mike_Thompson said:
Actually this is incorrect. The credit agencies are unrelated to any bank/government. What actually happens is when you update with your banks, the banks will then update on their next filing reports to Equifax/Transunion these changes if you have any credit facilities with them such as line of credit/mortgage/car loans/credit cards etc. and Equifax/Transunion is programmed to pick up on the changes.

You can also go to Equifax and Transunion and there is a form where you can update/change information. You would be required to send also 2 ID copies with this update that can be faxed and will be updated within about 48 hours (they're lazy sometimes so call them after 2-3 days to confirm).

Mike_Thompson

Dec 6, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
Yes, the banks update on their next filling but you are only getting a new SIN not a new identity/records. Anyone with authorized access will always be able to tell that you used to have one with a '9' and now you have a new one.

So bad credit under old SIN, will show up under new SIN. If you owe taxes to Revenue Canada on old SIN, it shows up too under new SIN. That's what I mean by "records continue to exist". How do I know this?

1. a revenue canada agent told me(before I filed taxes with my new SIN) that both numbers are linked together, such that they know I am one and the same person.
2. I have obtained my credit report using my new SIN and the records are exactly the same as those I had under the old SIN.

This is what I meant by the records continuing to exist.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, Revenue Canada will know 100% for sure as they're all linked. Though IF you have a new SIN and do not inform any institution or update this, then equifax/transunion will not know this. I won't go into specifics but the system could not tell who is who unless you apply for credit, or update at an institution, cell phone company, etc. If you pulled your credit under the new SIN, though different address, your report would be blank.

Pablo2000

Dec 17, 2012
Mike_Thompson. If you pulled your credit under the new SIN, though different address, are you 100% sure your report would be blank?

Please, could you go into specifics why the system could not tell who is who unless you apply for credit, or update at an institution, cell phone company, etc?

Thank's ... :D

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
1. To obtain your credit report, they ask for your address - if you've lived there for less than 2 years, they ask for your previous address(es) too. In addition, they ask for a copy of a current utility bill as proof of address and a copy(double-sided) of a gov't issued ID.
2. Your date of birth and names do not change, so address or not, I do not see how a report would be blank.

Pablo2000 said:
Mike_Thompson. If you pulled your credit under the new SIN, though different address, are you 100% sure your report would be blank?

Please, could you go into specifics why the system could not tell who is who unless you apply for credit, or update at an institution, cell phone company, etc?

Thank's ... :D

Phantom2013

Feb 18, 2013
The questions sound more like a person who doesn't want the sin nos. linked. What are you worried about? The banks will notify the credit companies and believe me with your name, birthdate and address they will link it all together. If you have something to hide, it won't be hidden for long.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The irony is some of us still think we have "privacy". When you obtain gov't IDs, look at the last 2 digits of the long ID # - tells you how many people have the same name(s) as you. So "02" means, there are two of you with the same name and you are the 2nd individual. Makes it easier to detect fake IDs.

Phantom2013 said:
The questions sound more like a person who doesn't want the sin nos. linked. What are you worried about? The banks will notify the credit companies and believe me with your name, birthdate and address they will link it all together. If you have something to hide, it won't be hidden for long.