+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

National Nursing Assessment Centre NNAS

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
What i heard that previously they were giving OSCE/IENCAP but now they are giving NCLX-RN
No, I think someone who gave you that information might have misunderstood.

OSCE/IENCAP is the examination that is used to prove that someone has the knowledge, skills and judgement equivalent of a new Canadian nursing graduate. It is used when a nurse's education has been evaluated by NNAS as "non-comparable". It used to be used for those who were "somewhat comparable" as well, but since the September 2016 CNO Council meeting when it was brought to their attention that no Internationally Educated Nurses were making it through the new NNAS system, they decided to allow those who were "somewhat comparable" to be considered to have met the education requirement, so long as they submit their current and past job descriptions and documents from their employer. OSCE/IENCAP is only used to meet the education requirement (#1 on this list http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/registration-requirements/ ) and does not help the applicant meet any of the remaining 7 requirements.

NCLEX-RN is the exam that all must successfully complete before they are able to be licensed. NCLEX-RN is the licensing exam. It is what allows an applicant to meet requirement #3 on the list. Those who were found non-comparable but successfully completed the OSCE/IENCAP also have to take the NCLEX-RN because it is a separate requirement on the list and is the actual licensing exam. There are many applicants who will have to do both IENCAP (to meet the education requirement) and then NCLEX-RN (to meet the licensing exam requirement) before they can become licensed.

I hope this is helpful :)

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
No, I think someone who gave you that information might have misunderstood.

OSCE/IENCAP is the examination that is used to prove that someone has the knowledge, skills and judgement equivalent of a new Canadian nursing graduate. It is used when a nurse's education has been evaluated by NNAS as "non-comparable". It used to be used for those who were "somewhat comparable" as well, but since the September 2016 CNO Council meeting when it was brought to their attention that no Internationally Educated Nurses were making it through the new NNAS system, they decided to allow those who were "somewhat comparable" to be considered to have met the education requirement, so long as they submit their current and past job descriptions and documents from their employer. OSCE/IENCAP is only used to meet the education requirement (#1 on this list http://www.cno.org/en/become-a-nurse/registration-requirements/ ) and does not help the applicant meet any of the remaining 7 requirements.

NCLEX-RN is the exam that all must successfully complete before they are able to be licensed. NCLEX-RN is the licensing exam. It is what allows an applicant to meet requirement #3 on the list. Those who were found non-comparable but successfully completed the OSCE/IENCAP also have to take the NCLEX-RN because it is a separate requirement on the list and is the actual licensing exam. There are many applicants who will have to do both IENCAP (to meet the education requirement) and then NCLEX-RN (to meet the licensing exam requirement) before they can become licensed.

I hope this is helpful :)
I second RN_0001 on this. This is what I am looking after andy_J that how come there is no info for OSCE from CNO letters to his wife.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
I second RN_0001 on this. This is what I am looking after andy_J that how come there is no info for OSCE from CNO letters to his wife.
@canada11

From what I understand, andy_J's wife received a "somewhat comparable" NNAS Advisory Report. This was enough to satisfy CNO and thus they have said that she meets the education requirement. This means that they are confident her nursing education is equivalent to that of an entry-level nurse trained in Canada. Those who have met the education requirement do not have to do the IENCAP, as IENCAP is only used for those who need to prove that they are equivalent to a Canadian nursing graduate. Since she has met the education requirement, she can move to the next step and write the NCLEX-RN.

andy_J

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
01-04-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
16-04-2016
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
@canada11

From what I understand, andy_J's wife received a "somewhat comparable" NNAS Advisory Report. This was enough to satisfy CNO and thus they have said that she meets the education requirement. This means that they are confident her nursing education is equivalent to that of an entry-level nurse trained in Canada. Those who have met the education requirement do not have to do the IENCAP, as IENCAP is only used for those who need to prove that they are equivalent to a Canadian nursing graduate. Since she has met the education requirement, she can move to the next step and write the NCLEX-RN.
So the next step is Jurisprudence and after that NCLEX-RN exam and they will give my wife license to work? We have checked with CNO and they said that in the system her recent experience is not verified yet rest everything is complete she mets all the requirements, now little bit confused that who will verify the current experience, either CNO will send some email to the employer or just it will automatically gets verified after few days....

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
@canada11

Then it mean the answer of this question must be YES 'Has the College reviewed all your nursing education and determined that it is equivalent to that of a current graduate of an approved Ontario university baccalaureate nursing program?

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
So the next step is Jurisprudence and after that NCLEX-RN exam and they will give my wife license to work? We have checked with CNO and they said that in the system her recent experience is not verified yet rest everything is complete she mets all the requirements, now little bit confused that who will verify the current experience, either CNO will send some email to the employer or just it will automatically gets verified after few days....
You must have got a letter from CNO in which they ask you to fill up Nursing Practice form by employers to be sent directly by Employer in sealed envelope along with details Job description.

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
Has your wife sent anything to CNO with her nursing work experience information? Did they send forms for her employer to complete? Did they ask for her job description from her employer?

andy_J

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
01-04-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
16-04-2016
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
You must have got a letter from CNO in which they ask you to fill up Nursing Practice form by employers to be sent directly by Employer in sealed envelope along with details Job description.
That is already done by NNAS and all the relevant forms were sent to NNAS by employers

andy_J

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
01-04-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
16-04-2016
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
Has your wife sent anything to CNO with her nursing work experience information? Did they send forms for her employer to complete? Did they ask for her job description from her employer?
We havent received any letter yet waiting for that only... and NNAS has taken all the forms from employers in the sealed envelop with JD and than they have given the advisory report. Why CNO will ask the same documents again?

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
We haven't received any letter yet waiting for that only... and NNAS has taken all the forms from employers in the sealed envelop with JD and than they have given the advisory report. Why CNO will ask the same documents again?
Oh, okay, you'll have to wait and see what the letter says that CNO sends your wife. If "education requirement" is not in the list of requirements met, then CNO will ask her to send her employment information to them (in sealed envelope from employer). They will have specific forms for her employer to complete, different from NNAS. But if the list of requirements met includes "education requirement", she will not have to submit any more job information to prove she is equivalent to a Canadian graduate. I am wondering though, if your wife has not received a letter yet, how do you know she has met the education requirement?

You asked why would CNO ask for the same documents again? The honest answer is that NNAS is ridiculous and does not accomplish what it was set out to accomplish. Aside from assessing education, it was supposed to provide a means for applicants to submit all of their documents and have them verified so that CNO and other licensing bodies didn't have to do all of that part of the work. But, they are re-doing it anyway because I think they secretly know NNAS is not accomplishing what it is supposed to accomplish but they can not admit it because so much government money went into creating NNAS.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Oh, okay, you'll have to wait and see what the letter says that CNO sends your wife. If "education requirement" is not in the list of requirements met, then CNO will ask her to send her employment information to them (in sealed envelope from employer). They will have specific forms for her employer to complete, different from NNAS. But if the list of requirements met includes "education requirement", she will not have to submit any more job information to prove she is equivalent to a Canadian graduate. I am wondering though, if your wife has not received a letter yet, how do you know she has met the education requirement?

You asked why would CNO ask for the same documents again? The honest answer is that NNAS is ridiculous and does not accomplish what it was set out to accomplish. Aside from assessing education, it was supposed to provide a means for applicants to submit all of their documents and have them verified so that CNO and other licensing bodies didn't have to do all of that part of the work. But, they are re-doing it anyway because I think they secretly know NNAS is not accomplishing what it is supposed to accomplish but they can not admit it because so much government money went into creating NNAS.
Let me clear this ambiguity with my example.

NNAS asked for last 5 years of my experience which I did despite having 10 years of experience since graduation. Later CNO asked for ALL the experience since graduation which has not been provided to NNAS. Thus had to provide the 'missing' experience.

In "his wife" case , it appears she did not practice after graduation & she provided the latest experience which is of few months that is already provided to NNAS so CNO wont ask for it against. But the point is, then in this case CNO ask for a declaration letter that you have not worked any where else other than the provided work experience. I see it is missing over here

iblessed

Mar 8, 2012

NNAS asked for last 5 years of my experience which I did despite having 10 years of experience since graduation. Later CNO asked for ALL the experience since graduation which has not been provided to NNAS. Thus had to provide the 'missing' experience.

In "his wife" case , it appears she did not practice after graduation & she provided the latest experience which is of few months that is already provided to NNAS so CNO wont ask for it against. But the point is, then in this case CNO ask for a declaration letter that you have not worked any where else other than the provided work experience. I see it is missing over here

I agree with this explanation from canada11

andy_J

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
01-04-2016
AOR Received.
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
16-04-2016
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-06-2016

My wife has worked after graduation for 2 years and 8 months thans he left the job because of our marriage sge has to come to saudi arabia.. because of some techinal problem she was unable to practice for 3 years after that she worked in a hospital but in Nursing Quality department not bed side for 1 year and then she got sick and left the job and and eventually we got immigration and after resignation from last job after six months she joined again in Pakistan and after 3 months we submitted all the docs to NNAS including all the experience after graduation and documents from the nursing school and documents from Nursing regulatory body in pakistan.... now tell me why they will ask again all the docs

RN_0001

Oct 18, 2016
... now tell me why they will ask again all the docs
I don't think we can provide any more insight until your wife receives a letter from CNO stating officially which requirements she has met and which ones she hasn't. Once we know what that letter says, we can give advice based on the situation and on what has happened to others in similar situations.

What I can say for now though is that if you are waiting for this whole process to be logical, you will be waiting a very long time.

Legentellison

Star Member
Jan 27, 2017
Hi Group,

Tomorrow is Friday. I just had all my documents which they had requested sent to CNO. I also had my NCLEX pass sent to them. So its back to the waiting board now.