+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife committed marriage fraud. Will marriage annulment deport her?

jora1995

Nov 1, 2023
Category........
FAM
Our marriage is two years old. I sponsored her for PR. When she arrived, she left me after one week and moved to different province. Now she is living with a guy and her family knows about this as they talked to us but in neighbourhood they are denying this. If the marriage gets annulled will i be off hook for 3 year support and she will be deported back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Our marriage is two years old. I sponsored her for PR. When she arrived, she left me after one week and moved to different province. Now she is living with a guy and her family knows about this as they talked to us but in neighbourhood they are denying this. If the marriage gets annulled will i be off hook for 3 year support and she will be deported back?
You will continue to be financially responsible for her until she leaves Canada, even if you marriage is annulled. If she takes any social assistance, you will be responsible for repaying this money to the government. Getting your marriage annulled does not remove this responsibility.

Getting your marriage annulled also does not automatically mean she will be removed from Canada.

You will need to report the marriage fraud to IRCC. IRCC will then investigate and determine if there are sufficient grounds to revoke her PR status. Instructions for reporting marriage fraud are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If she is PR, she most likely will not be deported, and you are responsible for the 3 years. You need to contact IRCC and report her for marriage fraud and they will decide on the consequences.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/marriage-fraud.html

Reactions: Bornlucky

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
im so lucky ircc denied my wife...guys, divorce your wives asap, cancel their sponsorship...or else some time down the road its high probable she will divorce you anyways...1 week later, 1 year later, 10 years later, or even 15 years later. Just sayin.

Reactions: T0pubo

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
im so lucky ircc denied my wife...guys, divorce your wives asap, cancel their sponsorship...or else some time down the road its high probable she will divorce you anyways...1 week later, 1 year later, 10 years later, or even 15 years later. Just sayin.
Agree that if you have any doubts don’t go through with the sponsorship. If you cancel you can always file again. Many seem to ignore the warning signs and continue since they have come so far in the process or think things will change when they you are reunited. People are also under the impression the relationships falls apart when they come to Canada they have recourse and can get their spouse deported which is not the case.

Reactions: Phalos

AisSW

Nov 4, 2023
IMO your situation sounds like straight up FRAUD against Canadian Immigration.

IMO it sounds like she had a plan to use you to get to Canada.

Prior to maybe 1990s its like CIC didn't care "after" the sponsored person received PR. It was as if its the sponsor's problem.

Because of backlash from Canadians who started questioning why the Immigration dept. was letting people get away with marriage fraud.
Now Its being taken more seriously just like any other fraud.

Unfortunately there are people who still believe that in 2023, Canadian Immigration don't care about marriage fraud.

CIC have deported people, or some people are just getting letters after years of living here that they are being investigated for marriage fraud.

Find out as much as you can about her boyfriend's name, address, and contact info, etc. etc. Contact the Immigration fraud dept. and let them iinvestigate.

Unfortunatately you "MUST" support your ex. for 3yrs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Prior to maybe 1990s its like CIC didn't care "after" the sponsored person received PR. It was as if its the sponsor's problem.

Because of backlash from Canadians who started questioning why the Immigration dept. was letting people get away with marriage fraud.
Now Its being taken more seriously just like any other fraud.

Unfortunately there are people who still believe that in 2023, Canadian Immigration don't care about marriage fraud.

CIC have deported people, or some people are just getting letters after years of living here that they are being investigated for marriage fraud.

Find out as much as you can about her boyfriend's name, address, and contact info, etc. etc. Contact the Immigration fraud dept. and let them iinvestigate.

Unfortunatately you "MUST" support your ex. for 3yrs.
It is extremely hard to get someone deported and prove marriage fraud. The government does take it seriously which is why you have things like interviews, most spouses from non-visa exempt counties used to have to apply from for sponsorship from outside of Canada and remain outside of Canada until after their sponsorship has been approved. Spouses who were sponsored used to have to remain married for 2 years in order to retain their PR status. Around 10+ years go that rule was eliminated due to the argument that spouse were remaining in marriages where their life and/or safety was at risk for fear
of losing their PR status.

Proving that there was 100% marriage fraud without any doubt is actually quite difficult. You often need proof from the partner saying that they only married you to secure PR. Most will claim that there was relationship breakdown or that they had an affair. Proof that they were in a relationship before you met and they left you very son after arriving in Canada will help when submit your evidence of marriage fraud. The fact that you were married for 2 years and likely in a relationship for longer will likely lead to the argument that there was a relationship breakdown over time. The one good part is that by leaving during the first week in Canada that means there was minimal attempts to give their relationship a chance to work in Canada and there was likely a plan to their husband before landing in Canada so they should have never been able to land as a PR because the relationship was over. Is there a reason was the new partner not able to sponsor them?

AisSW

Nov 4, 2023
1.If she left you one week after arriving in Canada, and you are still married for two years why are you just inquiring?
2.But if she has not asked you for any money or collected social assistance in 2yrs then its good for you so far
3. Because Social Assistance office would write you to repay the money.
4. So you now have only 1year left to support her. Hopefully she doesn't contact you for money.
5. Social media posts by her, boyfriend, family, friends, co-workers etc. "may" help you to gain evidence if she did in fact commit marriage fraud.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1.If she left you one week after arriving in Canada, and you are still married for two years why are you just inquiring?
2.But if she has not asked you for any money or collected social assistance in 2yrs then its good for you so far
4. So you now have only 1year left to support her. Hopefully she doesn't contact you for money.
5. Social media posts by her, boyfriend, family, friends, co-workers etc. "may" help you to gain evidence if she did in fact commit marriage fraud.
OP could have been married for 2 years and she just arrived, got PR and left. So if she just landed, he is on the hook for 3 years if she collects social assistance, not one year.

Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As the very fortunate recipient of sponsored PR, someone most happy to have escaped my home country, I had to take a deep breath, swallow hard, and suppress the urge to discharge a stream of epithets.

Many marriages, some of the best, are entered into at risk. Life is tricky. Life in concert with another, trickier. Damn worth it when it works out, and that is often true even if it does not work out for long let alone not forever. Having been in a previous marriage in which circumstances took my partner from me, from this world, all too soon, I have no doubt that even a brief marriage, even one leading to much sorrow, can be an incredible gift. As much as I love and am devoted to my current spouse, my hero for having given me the means to live in this great country, I also know that my previous marriage was well, well worth it despite how little time we ended up having together.

Fraud, that's another story. Often a complicated story. Sure, sometimes it is just plain outright fraud, outright exploitation of someone in Canada. Best defense to that, in the marriage for immigration fraud context, is individual diligence. Know who you marry. Don't rely on total stranger bureaucrats to figure out from a limited amount of information on paper (or digital) more than what you can from being in a relationship of sufficient intimacy that you will honestly represent the marriage is genuine.

Can be hard to show there was fraud when both parties to a marriage have so firmly advocated it was genuine. Fact that one bolts so soon can raise questions, invite investigation, but of course what matters less is what the person did after coming to Canada compared to how they were scheming and making misrepresentations before. There can be many, many reasons why someone suddenly bolts a marriage they had otherwise entered into genuinely.

And, to be clear, no matter how much one wrongs the other in leaving the relationship, that does not necessarily mean it was entered into fraudulently.

On the other side of courtroom sits the "aggrieved," but is the aggrieved's version now more honest that their claims to the government the marriage was genuine before they became aggrieved? Or is the hurt fueling accusations in pursuit of vengeance? Once again, it will be up to total stranger bureaucrats to sort it out.

Any claim to know for sure it was fraud based on a couple cryptic posts is of course suspect, at best. But we live in an age of little restraint in casting aspersions. Throw stones, and all too often don't bother to even ask questions later.

I don't know. When relationships fail, that's a hard scene.

And fraud is not to be condoned. Certainly not encouraged.

What I do know, in contrast, is that investing in relationships with others, and taking some risks in doing that, that's the best life has to offer.

For @jora1995 -- my condolences. I do not know what happened. Best I can offer is you seek peace. Getting IRCC to act in these cases can be frustrating and actually elevate the stress and pain. If this is really about lies made before coming to Canada, then as others have said, report the facts, focused on the facts, and do this honestly, straight-forwardly, and then leave it in the government's hands.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
The majority of people don't suffer relationship fraud, so your statement does not hold true to all. Yes, a percentage of relationships are fraud and other relationships fail. That's life.

jora1995

Nov 1, 2023
Category........
FAM
Our marriage was done in India and she stayed there. After 1.5 years she got the COPR and then she arrived in Canada in July 2023. As she got PR in July 2023, I will be responsible till July 2026