+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Experience - Early Arrival and Change of University

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
Hey all...

I just landed at Toronto Pearson International Airport few hours back.

My classes are gonna start in September. Initially I got my visa for graduate program in Computer Science at University of Regina but later I also got acceptance in York. I applied paper based application and I didn't inform CIC about the change of university prior to my arrival.

I am writing this thread to explain my POE experience. After clearing the customs, I was directed to Immigration Officer. She was really nice and supportive. She asked for my LOI, LOA and my passport. After checking my visa status from her system, she asked me that I was supposed to attend Uni of Regina and not York. I explained this thing to her that I also got admission from York in the same program and I am still meeting the expenses i.e funds I have and the cost at York for 1-year. She gave me a big smile :D and then printed my Study Permit, put it in my passport and gave my passport back to me. No questions about early arrival as I arrived there 2-months prior to the start of my classes. No questions about funds. Nothing. Just clear and smooth process. It hardly took 7 minutes at immigration counter :)

All the best.

Reactions: dreamy2536

sidhu_anwar

Jun 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sounds nice ^_^ do they ask questions like where'll you stay or whether you've any relatives in Canada?

tabbi

Jun 1, 2014
usman_14pk said:
Hey all...

My classes are gonna start in September. Initially I got my visa for graduate program in Computer Science at University of Regina but later I also got acceptance in York. I applied paper based application and I didn't inform CIC about the change of university prior to my arrival.

I am writing this thread to explain my POE experience. After clearing the customs, I was directed to Immigration Officer. She was really nice and supportive. She asked for my LOI, LOA and my passport. After checking my visa status from her system, she asked me that I was supposed to attend Uni of Regina and not York. I explained this thing to her that I also got admission from York in the same program and I am still meeting the expenses i.e funds I have and the cost at York for 1-year. She gave me a big smile :D and then printed my Study Permit, put it in my passport and gave my passport back to me. No questions about early arrival as I arrived there 2-months prior to the start of my classes. No questions about funds. Nothing. Just clear and smooth process. It hardly took 7 minutes at immigration counter :)

All the best.
congrats Brother... wish you best of luck ;D

ubaid.hassan

Star Member
Feb 9, 2013
Hyderabad, Pk
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad-London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
AOR Received.
31-01-2013
File Transfer...
Oct, 2014
Med's Request
10-10-2014
Med's Done....
07-11-2014
Interview........
18-11-2014
Passport Req..
10-12-2014, sent 29-12-14
VISA ISSUED...
09-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-May-2015
usman_14pk said:
Hey all...

All the best.

congrats usman nhai,
thanks for sharing your experience...
i will be flying soon i.e on 17th august by PIA, from khi to regina via toronto.
are you living off-campus or living in university hostel?

MFAhad

Dec 16, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2014
Med's Request
24-01-2014
Med's Done....
29-01-2014
Passport Req..
Submitted With Application
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2014
Great really smooth process which means there is no problem in arriving a little sooner. Wish you all the best for your stay and studies brother.

rahul247rocks

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
6-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2014
Can I arrive and show them acceptance letter for a 2 year program wheareas my visa was granted for a 1 year program.

fahad123

Sep 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why you preferred Ontario over Saskatchewan ? Or Is it York University over UOR ?

sanjeev9251

Jul 2, 2014
Bro.. can you let me know if they have printed the name or designated institute's code on your study permit.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
ubaid.hassan said:
congrats usman nhai,
thanks for sharing your experience...
i will be flying soon i.e on 17th august by PIA, from khi to regina via toronto.
are you living off-campus or living in university hostel?
Off-campus man. On-campus living is expensive :(

Reactions: dreamy2536

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
rahul247rocks said:
Can I arrive and show them acceptance letter for a 2 year program wheareas my visa was granted for a 1 year program.
Can't say anything clearly about it. If you can show them with more funds at POE that I have changed my program from 1-year to 2-year and I am meeting my expenses accordingly then may be you will get your Study Permit without any trouble.

fahad123

Sep 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
usman_14pk said:
Can't say anything clearly about it. If you can show them with more funds at POE that I have changed my program from 1-year to 2-year and I am meeting my expenses accordingly then may be you will get your Study Permit without any trouble.
One more query bro. Shall i carry cash to show proof of funds ? I have already paid 10000 CAD to Uni. Brief me in this regard

saadmalik

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Canada
Good to hear usman.. dont they ask for any financial documents? if not then how to prove that a person is meeting his expenses?

rahul247rocks

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
6-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2014
tell me something if I apply for 2 year diploma and get a visa for applying under a post graduate certificate then will I also get the study permit (adjusted accordingly) at the point of entry. Will they give 1 year or 2 years of study permit.

Another question is about changing institute after going through Point of Entry. Since you have the study permit could you please tell me what's written on it or maybe share a screenshot of it by blacking out your personal details. Is the designated learning institute mentioned on the permit? What happens when I change institute from a 1 year to 2 year course after going through this process?

I am so confused right now.