+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Alberta

mumbaimerijan

Jan 4, 2009
Importing car to Alberta :

http://www.riv.ca/
http://www.importcartocanada.info/guides-tips/step-by-step-guide-to-importing-a-car-into-canada-from-the-us/

C

cchabert

Yes they are and came usually with less commodities than the ones here in USA, this by my brother in law who lives in Toronto but to find out just go to the Canadian dealer of the car you want and do the comparable evaluation of both.

:-D

yrinaldy

Star Member
Sep 26, 2008
I am keeping my car since it's on the list of the admissible cars - and you don't have to incur additional time / browsing for cars there especially if your is still in good condition.

About odometer / speedometer, my car has both in it and I believe the only thing my car doesn't have is the daylight driving - which can be done easily.

Some say - to make it less hassle, you sell your car and belongings and buy everything fresh from there - It'll apply true for people who apply outside of Canada and US - but for us, I think it's worth it to bring our belongings - cheaper in the long run.

cchabert said:
Yes they are and came usually with less commodities than the ones here in USA, this by my brother in law who lives in Toronto but to find out just go to the Canadian dealer of the car you want and do the comparable evaluation of both.

:-D

C

cchabert

Thank you for you info, I just want to see how many red bulls are you going to drink to drive 48 hours ;-)

mumbaimerijan

Jan 4, 2009
One more thing you would like to check is the Warranty validity of car bought in US and taken to canada .You don't want to shell out money for a car under warranty .

yrinaldy

Star Member
Sep 26, 2008
red bulls aside, it'll be quite a summer road trip cross-country... am sure it'll be plenty of fun along the way ;)

cchabert said:
Thank you for you info, I just want to see how many red bulls are you going to drink to drive 48 hours ;-)

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Friends,

Cars are more expensive in Canada than in the US. Getting car loan is a tough part and if you get a loan the interest rates are high. It is better to make full use of the current situation where cars in US are going at low prices. There is no cash for clunkers in Canada, so all those who have the clunkers which you bought while doing your masters degree will pay off now. Indians drive Honda, Toyota and Nissan owners might not benefit from clunkers scheme, but give a try for some models can qualify.

J1visa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Can you explain more please? I have the same problem, sell the old car, buy a newer one and drive it to Canada in 19 hours or just sell it and buy another one in Canada.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
J1visa,

You need to consider the worth of the car. Try kbb.com to evaluate the worth and if shipping is more expensive than the worth of the car, try to find out similar cars in canada. Canada cars have kilometers and us have miles. Try considering all these factors and take a decission.

C

cchabert

If you move with or with out your car don't forget to bring you driving record from the DMV to have your driver license change and also your record from your car insurance company that you don't have any accidents, the Alberta insurance company will not ask for that but (with no guarantee) it can help to have a good rate on your car insurance, this what my brother in law do and he has a good rate.

bb0310

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
cchabert said:
If you move with or with out your car don't forget to bring you driving record from the DMV to have your driver license change and also your record from your car insurance company that you don't have any accidents, the Alberta insurance company will not ask for that but (with no guarantee) it can help to have a good rate on your car insurance, this what my brother in law do and he has a good rate.
Does that mean you have to get Driving Record on every state that you had license?

C

cchabert

I don't think so, my brother in law was on Miami and then in Georgia and he only took his Georgia driving record