11-10-2011 Med´s Redone: 10-29-2012
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
meeshy said:
Ahhhh ok, I was a little confused! Did he send it buy courier to you at least?
He sent it by Canada post the first time...I know...naive wishful thinking, He finally understood that paper is probably lost and he´s supposed to send one by UPS today, it´s just so close to the due date that´s why im wondering if I can ask for an extension.

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
Then wouldnt it be easier for him just to send it straight to the embassy, send him the couple of the cover letter you would send and get him to send it there?? Whens your deadline??

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I read about 150 pages and am going to continue reading but have a bit of an urgent problem with the military service requirement around the PRG certificate and humbly ask for your thoughts.

Some quick background info:
I met my partner while he was in Canada but his refugee status was rejected (shout-out to LeisaP and partner) and he had to back to Mexico. Hardest time of our lives. We decided this partnership was a “forever” deal and got married in the summer with the intention of pursuing spousal sponsorship.

Not wanting to risk failure due to human error on our part we scraped together all of our savings to hire an immigration lawyer to put together our application and act as our representative. We think we’re close to filing and have prepared a lot of stuff in advance, including all of the forms, tonnes of letters of support, proof of relationship and medical.

The problem:
We were told to apply for medical and BOTH police checks in advance to cut down on time when Citizenship and Immigration asks for them. (Wondering if this is a bad idea after reading posts here.) Medical was great, but we hit a snag with the police checks.

For the PGR certificate, as many of you know, you need to present a military service card. But my partner didn’t sign up for that when he was 18. In fact, you no longer need military service to get a passport and he went to Canada when he was 18.

From what I’ve gathered in this forum so far – please validate this – there is no penalty for signing up for military service later. But this obviously throws a wrench in our plans.

What we’re thinking of suggesting to our lawyer is we go ahead and submit the application with just the initial SSP certificate and wait for CIC to request the PRG certificate… buying some time for us to get the military service card prerequisite needed by PRG.

Has anyone else taken or heard of this approach? What do you do in the Background info form where it asks if you’ve done any military service? (Frankly surprised our lawyer didn’t bring this up when he approved of the form with “NONE” in that section, but I guess even experts can’t have all the answers.)

Now here’s the other question… I’ve heard you can “postpone” military service. Does anyone know if this can be postponed until after my partner returns to Canada and become a non-issue? If so, how?

Thanks a million for reviewing!!!

Eduram

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2012
Doc's Request.
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
05-10-2012
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Request
09-10-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
meeshy said:
Then wouldnt it be easier for him just to send it straight to the embassy, send him the couple of the cover letter you would send and get him to send it there?? Whens your deadline??
Dec 9th

meeshy

Star Member
May 31, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-10-2012 (PGR and SSP) 5-02-2013
AOR Received.
12-10-2012
File Transfer...
26-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
1-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
bttmntl said:
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I read about 150 pages and am going to continue reading but have a bit of an urgent problem with the military service requirement around the PRG certificate and humbly ask for your thoughts.

I met my partner while he was in Canada but his refugee status was rejected (shout-out to LeisaP and partner) and he had to back to Mexico. Hardest time of our lives. We decided this partnership was a “forever” deal and got married in the summer with the intention of pursuing spousal sponsorship.

Not wanting to risk failure due to human error on our part we scraped together all of our savings to hire an immigration lawyer to put together our application and act as our representative. We think we're close to filing and have prepared a lot of stuff in advance, including all of the forms, tonnes of letters of support, proof of relationship and medical.

The problem:
We were told to apply for medical and BOTH police checks in advance to cut down on time when Citizenship and Immigration asks for them. (Wondering if this is a bad idea after reading posts here.) Medical was great, but we hit a snag with the police checks.

For the PGR certificate, as many of you know, you need to present a military service card. But my partner didn't sign up for that when he was 18. In fact, you no longer need military service to get a passport and he went to Canada when he was 18.

From what I've gathered in this forum so far – please validate this – there is no penalty for signing up for military service later. But this obviously throws a wrench in our plans.

What we're thinking of suggesting to our lawyer is we go ahead and submit the application with just the initial SSP certificate and wait for CIC to request the PRG certificate... buying some time for us to get the military service card prerequisite needed by PRG.

Has anyone else taken or heard of this approach? What do you do in the Background info form where it asks if you've done any military service? (Frankly surprised our lawyer didn't bring this up when he approved of the form with “NONE” in that section, but I guess even experts can't have all the answers.)

Now here's the other question... I've heard you can “postpone” military service. Does anyone know if this can be postponed until after my partner returns to Canada and become a non-issue? If so, how?

I think that is a fine approach. We didnt send in the PGR with the initial package, but as far as I am aware, you need to wait for the request because you need the official letter from the Embassy to get the PGR.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
meeshy said:
I think that is a fine approach. We didnt send in the PGR with the initial package, but as far as I am aware, you need to wait for the request because you need the official letter from the Embassy to get the PGR.
Thanks so much for the quick response, meeshy!

Did you have to do the military service? If so, what is it like? If not, how do you get around that?

And what did you put on your background form about military service?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have taken a major load off of us...

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
bttmntl said:
Hi everyone,

Not wanting to risk failure due to human error on our part we scraped together all of our savings to hire an immigration lawyer to put together our application and act as our representative. We think we're close to filing and have prepared a lot of stuff in advance, including all of the forms, tonnes of letters of support, proof of relationship and medical.

The problem:

For the PGR certificate, as many of you know, you need to present a military service card. But my partner didn't sign up for that when he was 18. In fact, you no longer need military service to get a passport and he went to Canada when he was 18.

From what I've gathered in this forum so far – please validate this – there is no penalty for signing up for military service later. But this obviously throws a wrench in our plans.

What we're thinking of suggesting to our lawyer is we go ahead and submit the application with just the initial SSP certificate and wait for CIC to request the PRG certificate... buying some time for us to get the military service card prerequisite needed by PRG.

Has anyone else taken or heard of this approach? What do you do in the Background info form where it asks if you've done any military service? (Frankly surprised our lawyer didn't bring this up when he approved of the form with “NONE” in that section, but I guess even experts can't have all the answers.)

Now here's the other question... I've heard you can “postpone” military service. Does anyone know if this can be postponed until after my partner returns to Canada and become a non-issue? If so, how?

He wont have to do his Military service, but he needs his precartilla which means he needs to register for the military, but he doesn't have to actually serve. There is no penalty for registering late, but if he no longer lives in the state he was born in they may make getting the precartilla at his local office in his current city a big deal. There is no way around it, you need to precartilla for the PGR check, without it your husband will not be able to get his PR Visa. Good luck!

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
mc1234 said:
He wont have to do his Military service, but he needs his precartilla which means he needs to register for the military, but he doesn't have to actually serve. There is no penalty for registering late, but if he no longer lives in the state he was born in they may make getting the precartilla at his local office in his current city a big deal. There is no way around it, you need to precartilla for the PGR check, without it your husband will not be able to get his PR Visa. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the reply, mc1234! So should we submit our application package with "none" under the military service history in the Schedule A Background? We are hoping to get the application out of the way so all of the material we created remains timely, then move on to getting the precartilla so we're ready when the PRG request comes on.

BTW, why is there no military service required if you sign up after 18?

Many thanks!!!

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Yeah put None! And its not that there is no military service required after 18.. The history of the Mexican military is kinda complicated. I don't feel entirely comfortable explaining it since I am not Mexican, so maybe someone else can chime in on those details.

bttmntl

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2013
Does anyone else have some more background info on getting the precartilla as a 22 year old without doing military service? We are homosexual and worry he might have an unpleasant experience in a military setting if outed... have read that gays in the military are often released due to harrassment so would that be a justification to not begin service in the first place?

One other question... we have filled out the "use of a representative" form with our lawyer's address in Canada. Would the PRG letter go to him? After reading thousands of posts today and noticing the tight 60-day turnaround time from getting the letter, applying for the certificate and bringing it back to the Embassy, it seems like we might not have enough time. (Now I'm understanding why the lawyer wanted us to send BOTH police certificates with our initial application, though that seems impossible.)

Thanks for the feedback.. we owe you big time.

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
bttmntl said:
Does anyone else have some more background info on getting the precartilla as a 22 year old without doing military service? We are homosexual and worry he might have an unpleasant experience in a military setting if outed... have read that gays in the military are often released due to harrassment so would that be a justification to not begin service in the first place?

One other question... we have filled out the "use of a representative" form with our lawyer's address in Canada. Would the PRG letter go to him? After reading thousands of posts today and noticing the tight 60-day turnaround time from getting the letter, applying for the certificate and bringing it back to the Embassy, it seems like we might not have enough time. (Now I'm understanding why the lawyer wanted us to send BOTH police certificates with our initial application, though that seems impossible.)

I don't fully understand the military procedures in Mexico, but I know there have been others on this post that hadn't registered prior. My husband had signed up but has never served and it wasn't an issue. Like I said, I don't fully understand but it's not a big a deal as it seems.

Chuladaa

May 31, 2012
Toronto
App. Filed.......
March 23, 2012
Doc's Request.
July 20, 2012, July 27, 2012, Dec 07, 2012
AOR Received.
July 03, 2012
File Transfer...
July 03, 2012
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
March 13, 2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
April 15, 2013
bttmntl said:

We also filled out the "use of a representative" form but the PGR letter went to my husband's address in Mexico. When the embassy asked us for the PGR they wrote in the request letter (received by email) to send a prepaid waybill as the original PGR letter they send goes by regular mail and takes forever. What people have been doing now is sending the prepaid waybill in advance of the embassy asking for it and that seems to speed things up for them.
You would not be able to get the PGR cetificate to submit with your initial application because you have to wait for the request letter you cant get it without this letter.
Where in Mexico are you?

Eduram

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2012
Doc's Request.
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
05-10-2012
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Request
09-10-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
bttmntl said:

I just sent you a private message telling you about my personal experience and basic knowledge of the military service.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
You guys see this?

http://m.en.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2012/11/28/20392481.html

Eduram

Star Member
Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2012
Doc's Request.
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
05-10-2012
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Request
09-10-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
29-01-2013
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2013
canadiangirl78 said:
You guys see this?

http://m.en.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2012/11/28/20392481.html
I did. Hopefully most of us will be in Canada already when this happens. There´s been quite a talk about dropping the visa for a couple of months now. They even said that once the safe countries list was out in september and depending on how Mexico did they could drop it and I haven´t heard any recent news about it.