waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
steerpike said:
Because of idiots like you, CIC introduced condition 51 on honest couples. You have personally made the lives of thousands of honest hardowrking Canadians and their spouses more dificult and restricted their freedom, thru nothing but your own stupididy. You say you believe in karma, (i dont) but if there is karma, you will be getting a boat load of bad coming your way because that is what you deserve.
Have some pity on the poor guy. He's the one that got abandoned. Love can really mess with your head and make you blind.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
steerpike said:
The difference is, that marriage is totally legally abd binding even if the woman says directly she married the man only for his money. The difference is, that couple didnt have to open their entire lives up to scrunity by the government. All they had to do was get a marriage certificate and that marriage was considered 100% as real and genuine as any other marriage in history.

Theres a double standard when it comes to marriage.
Its only "dirty immigrants" from foreign countries who need to be put thru the wringer.
The difference is that immigrants cannot be prevented to claim welfare at taxpayers expense once 3 years has passed. So all immigrants regardless where they come from get "put through the wringer", your words not mine.

So the 2 year conditional PR was invoked by victims who are on the hook for welfare payments for 3 years when their partners left at first opportunity. Unfortunately the 3 year welfare clause doesn't give them a second of sober thought of the possible realistic outcomes of their relationship. So they are blind to that out of "love" and thus don't think they are accountable to their actions.

The 2 year conditional PR basically make them responsible for 1 year welfare instead of 3. The first 2 years the sponsor will know she/he will not be on welfare. After 2 years has pass, the applicant can dump the sponsor and claim welfare for 1 year instead of 3 years. The applicant will not leave the sponsor knowing he/she will lose PR status in first 2 years and cannot claim welfare if PR status is revoked.

It is a double standard in that those without conditional are on the hook for 3 years of welfare compare to now on conditional PR for 1 year welfare.

The 2 year conditional PR also line up with other countries like US and Australia in issuing 2 year conditional PR.

hinata-223

Apr 1, 2014
Don't give in... from what I see here I have to agree with everyone he's trying to use you even more than he already has... be strong and keep your chin up! I've been waiting on a DM since 2012 may. It's been hard but the one thing for sure it is worth it. I get to be with the love of my life and it doesn't matter how long it takes to process our case as long as he is with me. In your case he made you believe that he's in love with you which clearly looks like he did not. You did what you have to do. You're a good person and don't let this situation destroy you. Just keep going and try to forget about it.

M

mikeymyke

One big thing people should do, and I know a lot of people here don't like it, but couples should really discuss whether living in the applicant's country is a possibility.

It should be a huge red flag for anyone if your spouse seems too deadset in coming to Canada, and refuses to live in their country for any reason, unless they were a successful refugee claimant. This possibility should be brought up from time to time in conversation. People dupe their sponsors because they want to live in Canada, to separate them from genuine people, you need to read their feelings and ask them questions if living in Canada is not a possibility. If your spouse is capable, and willing to live in either Canada or their home country, both of you will be less stressed because no matter the outcome of the PR application, you both will still end up together, rather than divorce should the PR fail because you both cannot live together since your spouse refuses to live in their country.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Ha! If *ONLY* we could have stayed in my home country! My husband lived in my home state for four years due to his work. Somewhere in the middle of his time there, we met, and sometime before he had to move back, we fell in love. The last part of my "relationship narrative" reads:

In the instructions on form IMM 5285, it states that I should share any additional details that prove that my relationship with [Husband] is genuine and continuing. I think my current situation illustrates the depth of my love for and commitment to my husband. I'm an American living in [Super French Region of Québec]. I left my home and all of my family and friends for a strange life as a military spouse in a land where I now have to struggle to learn French. This is a beautiful region, but daily life is often a challenge as I take French courses and work to adjust to a very different culture and language. If I was not fully dedicated to my husband, I would not have attempted to make a new life in a land so different from my own. When he got posted to [Base Name], I only had two choices. Follow him, learn French, and learn to love the new land where I live, or let the love of my life walk away from me. So really, I had no choice at all.
While it doesn't seem fair to some, I think this is why applicants from some countries/regions of the world face much more scrutiny than others. I didn't move here to increase my quality of life. I had a much richer, more fulfilling life (an actual JOB, more friends, etc.) back in the US. Love was the ONLY reason I would have come here.

I'm sorry for those who have had their hearts broken and still have to wait to see if the other shoe will drop, in the form of their spouse seeking social assistance. Even an "easy" immigration process is a hell to go through, and to go through all of that, only to find your love was just an actor/actress...that's a really bitter pill to swallow. :(

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is true for a number of us.

I am ONLY going to Canada to be with my wife, who wants to return "home" after 10 years in the UK. I'm giving up family (including two sons), my property, a well paid job with a worldwide computer manufacturer, and a very high security clearance (which will be impossible in Canada, being "only" a PR).

To do what? Survival job? (I'll be the one greeting you as you walk into Walmart).

Yes, a lot of sacrifices are made for love... I really hope this works out for us.. There is no going back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zardoz said:
Further research on CANLII shows that this was not the final outcome, with Soumah ending up taking out an injunction against his sponsor. As far as I can tell, he was still in Canada as of the middle of 2012.
He actually was deported in early 2012. He's suing her from outside of Canada with the help of another woman in Canada (story just gets stranger):

http://www.ottawalife.com/2012/08/deported-man-from-guinea-sues-canadian-ex-wife-lainie-towell/

Reactions: irogko4u

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
scylla said:
He actually was deported in early 2012. He's suing her from outside of Canada with the help of another woman in Canada (story just gets stranger):

http://www.ottawalife.com/2012/08/deported-man-from-guinea-sues-canadian-ex-wife-lainie-towell/
slimeball milking Canada for everything he can get. And we are paying his legal fees.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
slimeball milking Canada for everything he can get. And we are paying his legal fees.
IMO, it's hard to tell whom justice belongs to.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
zardoz said:
This is true for a number of us.

I am ONLY going to Canada to be with my wife, who wants to return "home" after 10 years in the UK. I'm giving up family (including two sons), my property, a well paid job with a worldwide computer manufacturer, and a very high security clearance (which will be impossible in Canada, being "only" a PR).

To do what? Survival job? (I'll be the one greeting you as you walk into Walmart).

Yes, a lot of sacrifices are made for love... I really hope this works out for us.. There is no going back.
Some levels of security clearance are possible for Permanent Residents (I looked into it a little, as I recently applied for a job with an organization that contracts with the military and requires a security clearance). However, whether or not employers will want to or be willing to deal with the "extra hassles" of hiring a PR is another question. Even for a position that does not require any clearance, it's obvious from my resume that I've never worked in Canada, which will be enough to scare off some employers. Add to that the fact that I'm in a predominantly French area and, despite almost two years, am not yet fully bilingual, and my prospects are...not exciting, haha. I finish my French courses in about three weeks, and after that, I'll start looking for work. I'll be lucky to end up with a "survival job" situation here, though despite the stress, I'd welcome a low-paid job working in a francophone environment, mostly to continue working on my French (with him being military, bilingualism will be a very marketable skill anywhere we end up, as many civilian base position and contractor positions require English and French). *sigh* I joke that immigration has regressed me to adolescence. My big "dream" right now is to find work and earn enough to replace my car on my own. A job and a decent used car...that's my dream!

There really is no "going back." The husband I and joke about the three year financial commitment (we're terrible like that), but if something unthinkable were to happen (divorce, though this process has made me more sure than ever of our love and commitment, or something worse), I'd be back in the US in a heartbeat. Other than him, there's nothing holding me here. And D*MN if the winters aren't LONG up here!

newbee1

Dec 20, 2013
My husband played an immigration fraud on me and left me within 3 weeks of landing in Canada. After he fled away I immediately informed CIC. He was deported within 6 months.
I am posting this information for the people who are suffering because of fraudsters.
If anyone needs any information or want to know how the procedure went through please feel free to inbox me.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Then that's 1 for the "good guys". Was that with or without Condition 51 on his PR?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
truesmile said:
Then that's 1 for the "good guys". Was that with or without Condition 51 on his PR?
The poster had previously reported it was a conditional PR: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/immigration-fraud-marriage-of-convenience-marriage-fraud-and-marriage-scam-t5198.0.html;msg2855376#msg2855376

So it would appear that the conditional PR is doing what was intended in at least some cases, which is good.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Wow! The system is working, at least in this case.