+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA-Exempt Work Permit - PR Points Query

BaileyD

Mar 8, 2024
Hi. I need some advice.
I have been working with the same employer for 2 years (I was on PGWP until Feb'24) but I recently got a LMIA-Exempt work permit (as my PGWP was expiring). My Lmia-exempt work permit is in 'Canadian interests' category.
My question is: Should I complete 1 full year on this new LMIA-exempt work permit to get those 50 points for my PR, OR, since I have already been working with the same employer for the last 2 years, I get the points right away? What does the government mean by 'work for a year with the same employer on your work permit'.

I have a job offer that supports my job after 1 yr of PR issuance.
I have LMIA-Exempt Work Permit with same employer.
I have been working for the same employer since last 2 years - so I have the experience too (it was just on PGWP until now).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi. I need some advice.
I have been working with the same employer for 2 years (I was on PGWP until Feb'24) but I recently got a LMIA-Exempt work permit (as my PGWP was expiring). My Lmia-exempt work permit is in 'Canadian interests' category.
My question is: Should I complete 1 full year on this new LMIA-exempt work permit to get those 50 points for my PR, OR, since I have already been working with the same employer for the last 2 years, I get the points right away? What does the government mean by 'work for a year with the same employer on your work permit'.

I have a job offer that supports my job after 1 yr of PR issuance.
I have LMIA-Exempt Work Permit with same employer.
I have been working for the same employer since last 2 years - so I have the experience too (it was just on PGWP until now).
Since it is a LMIA exempt permit, you need to work for a year on the closed work permit before counting 50 points.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
Since it is a LMIA exempt permit, you need to work for a year on the closed work permit before counting 50 points.
Where is stated this? This is what is stated on the ircc website and can’t see what are you mentioning:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Where is stated this? This is what is stated on the ircc website and can’t see what are you mentioning:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
Which part are you asking about? What is unclear? You need to be on an LMIA exempt closed work permit with your employer named on that work permit. That's what the first bullet mean. The second bullet says you must have worked for that employer on that closed work permit in Canada for at least one year.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
Which part are you asking about? What is unclear? You need to be on an LMIA exempt closed work permit with your employer named on that work permit. That's what the first bullet mean. The second bullet says you must have worked for that employer on that closed work permit in Canada for at least one year.
Its unclear that bullet two is confusing and only mentioned 1 year work experience with the same employer. It would be more clear if instead says the next underlined & bold:

• have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer on your lmia exempt work permit.
Do you see what I mean? I’m not saying this for fun, I know various applicants that I have claimed points that way and got their PR approved.

BaileyD

Mar 8, 2024
Its unclear that bullet two is confusing and only mentioned 1 year work experience with the same employer. It would be more clear if instead says the next underlined & bold:

• have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer on your lmia exempt work permit.
Do you see what I mean? I’m not saying this for fun, I know various applicants that I have claimed points that way and got their PR approved.

I asked an immigration lawyer and they said it is not specified that you must work for your employer for 1 year “on your closed work permit”. And they told me I can claim points. The Bullet point 2 means you have to prove you have worked for them for ONE year already and will work for them for at least 1 year after PR is approved.
The one year can be on any work permit as long as it is legal and according to IRCC standards and experience is gained within Canada.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
I asked an immigration lawyer and they said it is not specified that you must work for your employer for 1 year “on your closed work permit”. And they told me I can claim points. The Bullet point 2 means you have to prove you have worked for them for ONE year already and will work for them for at least 1 year after PR is approved.
The one year can be on any work permit as long as it is legal and according to IRCC standards and experience is gained within Canada.
Thanks for your reply BaileyD! I had the same advice from an Inmigration consultant and wanted to clarify that.

This forum is used by many people that seeks clarification and is very helpful to see that you can save time using you work experience on a open work permit towards the Job Offer to claim 50 points, as long as at time that you apply, you are on a LMIA or LMIA exempt permit.