+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Except for 50 points ?

KaseyEE

Jan 10, 2024
Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me. I’m trying to get the LMIA points for my express entry online.
I’m currently on a IEC working visa and my understanding is if I move to a young professional visa which is a closed visa I will be eligible for the 50 LMIA points.
Another question is if i love to a young professional visa under IEC could i used the months i've spent with my employer under my working holiday visa towards the year?
If this is correct does anyone know how I would go about changing form a working holiday visa to a young professional visa?
I’m currently working as a broker full time in Canada and have been for 8/9 months.

Any help would be appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me. I’m trying to get the LMIA points for my express entry online.
I’m currently on a IEC working visa and my understanding is if I move to a young professional visa which is a closed visa I will be eligible for the 50 LMIA points.
Another question is if i love to a young professional visa under IEC could i used the months i've spent with my employer under my working holiday visa towards the year?
If this is correct does anyone know how I would go about changing form a working holiday visa to a young professional visa?
I’m currently working as a broker full time in Canada and have been for 8/9 months.

Any help would be appreciated!
You would need to switch to the YP visa and work on that visa for a year to get the 50 points. You can't change your current WP to a YP. You need to resubmit a new profile into the IEC pool following more or less the same process you did last time but this time under the YP program, be selected, apply and then get the new WP issued. The requirements are in the web site.

KaseyEE

Jan 10, 2024
thank you for your message i appreciate it. i guess i need to start applying for that YP visa! gutted i would have to work on that for a whole year to be LMIA except but it is what it is!

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
You would need to switch to the YP visa and work on that visa for a year to get the 50 points. You can't change your current WP to a YP. You need to resubmit a new profile into the IEC pool following more or less the same process you did last time but this time under the YP program, be selected, apply and then get the new WP issued. The requirements are in the web site.
Hi Scylla, where it says that you have to work 1 year on the “Lmia exempt wp” according to IRCC:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla, where it says that you have to work 1 year on the “Lmia exempt wp” according to IRCC:

you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
It looks like you are on a PGWP or other open work permit. Is that correct? If so, you can only qualify for the 50 job offer points is your employer gets an approved LMIA.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
It looks like you are on a PGWP or other open work permit. Is that correct? If so, you can only qualify for the 50 job offer points is your employer gets an approved LMIA.
Hi Scylla,

You’re correct I’m on a PGWP currently. I have 2 years skilled experience on the PGWP with the same employer. Why I can’t apply for a young professional permit (Lmia-exempt) and then collect the 50 points?

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit YES, I WILL BE
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer YES I DO
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa. YES, I WILL HAVE ONE

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Scylla,

You’re correct I’m on a PGWP currently. I have 2 years skilled experience on the PGWP with the same employer. Why I can’t apply for a young professional permit (Lmia-exempt) and then collect the 50 points?

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit YES, I WILL BE
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer YES I DO
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa. YES, I WILL HAVE ONE
Because you don’t meet the criteria. Bullet 2 is NO because you don’t yet have one year of experience with the employer specified on the LMIA exempt work permit. You must have the LMIA and then work for that employer specified for one year on that work permit. You are on an open work permit which is not employer specified.

Bear60

Jul 31, 2020
Because you don’t meet the criteria. Bullet 2 is NO because you don’t yet have one year of experience with the employer specified on the LMIA exempt work permit. You must have the LMIA and then work for that employer specified for one year on that work permit. You are on an open work permit which is not employer specified.
You are saying that I’ll be on a PGWP, but in theory when I claim the 50 points I’ll be on a employer specific work permit (Young Professional Permit) and NOT in a PGWP.
I get what you mean, but I’d like to see facts from the IRCC website, you are a very reputable member of the forum and your advice is very likely taking from a lot of individuals. A screenshot with this information will alleviate a lot of stress from the members of this forum.

Sep 23, 2020
I am working as a cafeteria supervisor, NOC Teer2, NOC 62020 for more than one year.
But i am on my open work permit and i don't have my employer LMIA number on my Work permit.
When i submit my express entry application, In the LMIA section, i select "No- My work permit is excempt from LMIA for other reasons and its employer specific".
With this I am not getting 50 points for my 1+ years valid work experience.
I read that open work permit holders won't get 50 CRS points for their 1 year work experience.
Is that true?
How to get 50 CRS points for my 1+ years valid work experience as it also belong to NOC Teer2?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am working as a cafeteria supervisor, NOC Teer2, NOC 62020 for more than one year.
But i am on my open work permit and i don't have my employer LMIA number on my Work permit.
When i submit my express entry application, In the LMIA section, i select "No- My work permit is excempt from LMIA for other reasons and its employer specific".
With this I am not getting 50 points for my 1+ years valid work experience.
I read that open work permit holders won't get 50 CRS points for their 1 year work experience.
Is that true?
How to get 50 CRS points for my 1+ years valid work experience as it also belong to NOC Teer2?
Your employer needs to get an approved LMIA.

Note that your work permit is not employer specific. It is an open work permit.