N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Hi everyone,
Ten months after submitting the application and over two years after our wedding, our time has finally come! The IOM in Vietnam let us know that my wife's application has been approved and asked her to submit her passport and related items to receive the visa. I am with her right now in Vietnam and we're getting ready to fly back together--it'll be her first time in Canada. Because her medicals are set to expire soon, we're getting an "urgent" visa and will be leaving in about two weeks. I've read through CIC's description of the arrival process (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-arriving.asp) but I was wondering if people could share a little about their experience with the landing process. A few questions:

• How is the process of landing? Are the formalities fairly simple? Will we have to wait long? I've read that most people don't have many problems when they arrive, but I think my wife still feels a little scared, not knowing how it'll go.
  • I understand that she has to provide a list of the personal belongings she'll be bringing into Canada. Will she literally have to list every single thing in her suitcase? Will we have to pay duty if there's too much?
  • We expect to fly into Ottawa via either Vancouver or Toronto. Should we expect the immigration formalities to take place in Vancouver/Toronto (wherever we actually set foot in Canada), or in Ottawa (our destination)?
  • What exactly is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) that we have to show? Will this be attached with the visa that will come back to us from CIC Singapore, or is it a separate document?
  • Apart from waiting for the PR card to come, is there anything else we'll have to do to finalize her PR status? Or is it "home free" once we step outside the airport?

Many thanks for your help and attention. We are both so excited to be entering this new phase of our life together--no more "hurry up and wait"!

Amy612

Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
N/A
dangerJones said:
Hi everyone,
Ten months after submitting the application and over two years after our wedding, our time has finally come! The IOM in Vietnam let us know that my wife's application has been approved and asked her to submit her passport and related items to receive the visa. I am with her right now in Vietnam and we're getting ready to fly back together--it'll be her first time in Canada. Because her medicals are set to expire soon, we're getting an "urgent" visa and will be leaving in about two weeks. I've read through CIC's description of the arrival process (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-arriving.asp) but I was wondering if people could share a little about their experience with the landing process. A few questions:

• How is the process of landing? Are the formalities fairly simple? Will we have to wait long? I've read that most people don't have many problems when they arrive, but I think my wife still feels a little scared, not knowing how it'll go.
  • I understand that she has to provide a list of the personal belongings she'll be bringing into Canada. Will she literally have to list every single thing in her suitcase? Will we have to pay duty if there's too much?
  • We expect to fly into Ottawa via either Vancouver or Toronto. Should we expect the immigration formalities to take place in Vancouver/Toronto (wherever we actually set foot in Canada), or in Ottawa (our destination)?
  • What exactly is the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) that we have to show? Will this be attached with the visa that will come back to us from CIC Singapore, or is it a separate document?
  • Apart from waiting for the PR card to come, is there anything else we'll have to do to finalize her PR status? Or is it "home free" once we step outside the airport?

Many thanks for your help and attention. We are both so excited to be entering this new phase of our life together--no more "hurry up and wait"!
COPR will be attached with the visa issued from singapore. She will finish the immigration at the airport of landing Canada that is either in toronto or Vancouver not Ottawa.

evanhindra

Star Member
Apr 7, 2011
somewhere in the universe
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dangerJones said:
Hi everyone,

This is so cool! We were both in the Singapore thread, same VO, and we're landing roughly the same time, too! Actually, all my questions are the same! ;). So, congratulations to us all are in order ;P.

While we're at it; I do have one other question to add.

I've read on this forum, that there's a minimum amount of Proof of Funds (PoF) that must be presented to the Immigration Officer upon First Landing. I'm unclear whether this applies to us, who are sponsoring their spouses. If there is indeed a minimum PoF that we must show; how much is it? In what form do we have to display it?

Thanks
Evan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
evanhindra said:
I've read on this forum, that there's a minimum amount of Proof of Funds (PoF) that must be presented to the Immigration Officer upon First Landing. I'm unclear whether this applies to us, who are sponsoring their spouses. If there is indeed a minimum PoF that we must show; how much is it? In what form do we have to display it?
POF doesn't apply to people who are immigrating through spousal sponsorship.

newlife23

Feb 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th October 2011
Med's Done....
25-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-02-2012
LANDED..........
Landed with God's grace on 7/3/2012
Since you are flying in together you will be able to be with her. She will be guided to a counter similar to a regular Immigration counter except it will be in an entirely different section of the building where they will brief her on the supports available for new immigrants and then proceed to hand in her papers, short interview and then "welcome to Canada" from the officer ;)

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
evanhindra said:
This is so cool! We were both in the Singapore thread, same VO, and we're landing roughly the same time, too! Actually, all my questions are the same! ;). So, congratulations to us all are in order ;P.
*high five*

Amy612 said:
COPR will be attached with the visa issued from singapore. She will finish the immigration at the airport of landing Canada that is either in toronto or Vancouver not Ottawa.
OK, good to know. I was able to find an explanation of the COPR elsewhere, but wasn't sure about the port of entry, so thanks.

newlife23 said:
Since you are flying in together you will be able to be with her. She will be guided to a counter similar to a regular Immigration counter except it will be in an entirely different section of the building where they will brief her on the supports available for new immigrants and then proceed to hand in her papers, short interview and then "welcome to Canada" from the officer ;)
So we can be together throughout the whole thing-- that's great news. Thanks for sharing, it's great to hear what we can expect out of the process :)

ggood

Star Member
Mar 4, 2010
Coquitlam, B.C.
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 06 2009
File Transfer...
14 08 2009
Med's Request
02 02 2010 requested for other paper work
Med's Done....
19 04 2010 "Medical results have been received"
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22 04 2010
VISA ISSUED...
10 05 2010
LANDED..........
13 05 2010
I takes about a half a hour. Now enjoy your time in Saigon. Yummy Juices,great coffee shops, street food. We just got back and had fun. Get in that airport and enjoy a free beer and dinner on that flight. Good Luck maybe she will become a Canucks Fan! CON GRATS! :D

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Canucks all the way!

Will be taking my son to watch the Red Wings play at some point...just across the border...been to dozens of games...loved it! So will he...I hope!

Cheers,
FS

bev canadian

Apr 27, 2011
This is what my ecas is showing after my hubby;s interview, is it a good sign that my husband will get visa or not??? pls see below:

We received your application for permanent residence on April 20, 2011.

We started processing your application on February 28, 2012.

Interview scheduled for January 17, 2012.

A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Fencesitter said:
Canucks all the way!

Will be taking my son to watch the Red Wings play at some point...just across the border...been to dozens of games...loved it! So will he...I hope!
Hehehe I've gotta go for the home team, so we'll probably go to a Senators game at least once ;)

This reminds me of another question-- do we need to wait for her PR card to be allowed to cross the border into the US? Or is the COPR sufficient? That would make the difference between being able to visit our relatives in the US earlier or later.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
The COPR should be sufficient since singaporeans do not require a visa to enter the USA. Plus her passport.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dangerJones said:
Hehehe I've gotta go for the home team, so we'll probably go to a Senators game at least once ;)

This reminds me of another question-- do we need to wait for her PR card to be allowed to cross the border into the US? Or is the COPR sufficient? That would make the difference between being able to visit our relatives in the US earlier or later.
If you drive, you can use the COPR. If you fly or use any commercial carrier (bus, train, etc), however, the PR card is required (or a lengthier process once outland to get a travel document to get back in).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  • dangerJones said:
    Hi everyone,

Congratulations!
    It's normal to be scared, but tell her it should be VERY smooth. She just completed an in-depth background check, etc so they know the risk is low. Usually she'll even get a very warm welcome from the officers!
    She can group things together for the B4 for most things (e.g. clothes $xx, books $xx, etc). The exceptions are valuable items - jewelry needs to be itemized AND you need to take photos of it as an attachment to the B4 (you can do them yourself and print them out at home so it's not a huge deal ... even if the instructions in some places suggest having a jeweler do it) and for any electronics you should list the serial number. You can even pre-fill out the form - it's available online at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf.
    IMPORTANT - if she's shipping items, make sure you add them to the B4 (or B4A, the continuation of the B4 if you need more than one page). Anything that is on the B4 she can take in even after her landing ... but it has to have been on the B4 the day she landed for it to qualify for duty-free status. Of course, all items have to have been used and possessed by her prior to moving.

Whenever you set foot in Canada and go through immigration the first time - try to give yourselves a bit of time before your connecting flight

The COPR is a document that she will get when she gets her visa from CIC Singapore. It's a huge document that she'll sign at the border and which will serve for ever as her proof of status as a permanent resident. Once she gets her PR card, put it in the safe deposit box.

Just waiting while getting to know Canada with you enjoying Rideau, Beaver Tails, Algonquin Park etc! Of course, she'll have to get a SIN number, OHIP, driver's licence, etc.

TIP - although you guys must be running around right now finishing stuff up, it would be well worth your time to check with the Singaporean Embassy in Ottawa to see what they will need to get the letter of experience she'll need to get a driver's license. If she doesn't submit the right documents upfront to prove she has 2+ years of driving experience she will be stuck going through the graduated system. However, if she submits proof validated by the Embassy (with everything translated) it will be simple for her to get her years of experience recognized and go through to full G with just the exams.

Good luck!!!

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
pinklady said:
The COPR should be sufficient since singaporeans do not require a visa to enter the USA. Plus her passport.
OhCanadiana said:
If you drive, you can use the COPR. If you fly or use any commercial carrier (bus, train, etc), however, the PR card is required (or a lengthier process once outland to get a travel document to get back in).
Ok, good to know-- perhaps I should have mentioned that she's actually a Vietnamese citizen, not Singaporean. Would that change things, seeing as she'd normally require a visa to enter the States? Or is the COPR/PR card still enough for entry into the USA?