+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed 18-June. Both me & my fiancee got a job withing a month. Ask me anything!

Manju Sagwal

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
astro313 said:
SAP and other ERP are popular systems used buy big and medium sized companies here. Regarding the Pre Sales position, I am not 100% sure what duties and responsibilities are involved in this role. If this is a rare/new position in your country the possibilities are that here you will have more opportunities.
However, you can have a look at indeed.ca or linkedin.com . Start creating new connections, hr, headhunters, recruiters and monitor the jobs which are being posted. Imagine as if you have already landed in Canada and now you're trying to find a job.
Thank you :)

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got it.. So for IT, based on this thread, the job market is still promising,

so for IT people with solid background, please come to Canada, there are plenty of jobs here, no problem you will get a job as long as you have the competencies.

For other major, not so much, at least unknown..

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your response.

To sum up, you and your wife hit all the sweet spots for new comers: white caucasian, highly educated and work in IT.

I have to say, IT is one of the easiest fields you can land a job anywhere in the world, as long as you are good at it.

astro313

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, my time and experience in Canada is very limited. I never said this is the ideal country, none on Earth is.

What do you mean when you say "pump them up with false hype and getting crashed by the brutal truth". I did my homework before coming here. I selected the city which I would live for at least a year 8 months before coming here, started job hunting and making contacts months before landing. I was prepared for the worst and had a big load of cash with me (just in case) too. I do not see where is the pumping here. I am saying: Trying hard gives you results.

Yes, there have been a lot of failures and I suspect why. People which have been licking the right asses and getting a manager role without having any of those skills. Skills, English, experience. If you wanna work, there is a lot of work, check the job postings.

I also agree that the IT sector has a lot of demand as of now but don't forget that there are a lot of non-IT people working in IT companies.Yes, there are more men than women in some of the sectors, but that is not due to sexism. I'm 100% sure that if me and my fiancee competed for the same job with the same skills, here in Canada they will chose her. That's because they already have a lot of men.

So as you see, we are talking about the same facts but with different perspectives.

There are 2 things which I don't agree with you.
1- Honeymoon month? Seriously? In most cases the begging it's the hardest of them all, and that's because you don't have contacts, references, credit history, friends, family.
2- Racism? I really googled to check if they are really one of the least racist countries in the world.
Number 2 Most Tolerant Country in the World as per The Richest- http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/nation/the-10-most-tolerant-nations-in-the-world/
Number 1 Most Tolerant Country in the World- http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/these-are-the-worlds-most-and-least-tolerant-countries--WJex6n3C5ug

You want me to say bad things? I cannot, cause also the weather until now has been nice with me. Ahhhhh, the winter, I already now that it will be shitty. Maybe at that time I will have something negative to say about this country.

When I was back in Albania, I was all the time arguing and whining about:
- too much traffic
- pollution higher than normal
- limited job opportunities
- low educated population
- unkindness
- corruption corruption corruption corruption (I hate it, I hate the fact that people are used to that)
- small country
- not a lot of greenness
- not able to bike
- fresh food but a lot of times not controlled

Here I have the opposite.

siriusnick said:
With all due respect, you are still in the honey month phase. I am not trying to discourage anyone, just speak of the truth since I have been in Canada for 8 years now.
Considering you are a white Caucasian with very limited time here, you are really not in the position to make the claim that "Canada is one of the most race tolerant countries in the world." And the truth is, it is not, not quite, at least for the financial sector. I am dealing with Bay Street senior financial managers and bankers on daily basis, male to female and white to minority skin color are both about 10 to 1.
And IT, especially high level IT tech is in great demand and very well compensated in Canada. I would not be surprised a white IT tech with years of experience in European environment can get a job in one month.
Again, I am not trying to discourage anyone, a lot of people here are not white, including myself, I would rather let people come prepared, than pump them up with false hype and getting crashed by the brutal truth.

Reactions: ArjonDJ

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
astro313 said:
What do you mean when you say "pump them up with false hype and getting crashed by the brutal truth". I did my homework before coming here. I selected the city which I would live for at least a year 8 months before coming here, started job hunting and making contacts months before landing. I was prepared for the worst and had a big load of cash with me (just in case) too. I do not see where is the pumping here. I am saying: Trying hard gives you results.
To be fair, siriusnick was talking about the financial sector, while in IT and other technical fields, we don't face the racial discrimination issue frequently. However, the glass ceiling or bamboo ceiling thing is pretty real though. It is true that Canada is one of the most torelant countries in the world, but it doesn't mean there's no discrimination. I had been through several interviews, and I was passed because they preferred a white candidate. However, I don't blame them at all, since choosing a right candidate is not just about the skills, but it's also about the soft skills, and how well a new candidate will fit in with the team's culture and norms.

After all, this is a nation founded by white immigrants from Europe, so being white will definitely have some advantages.

Reactions: Scorpman21

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good point Alexios07

I feel your pain. I wish I were white too.. Heck, I even tried to change my ethnic-sounding name in my resume even though i feel kinda weird with that..

hahah

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
siriusnick said:
With all due respect, you are still in the honey month phase. I am not trying to discourage anyone, just speak of the truth since I have been in Canada for 8 years now.
Considering you are a white Caucasian with very limited time here, you are really not in the position to make the claim that "Canada is one of the most race tolerant countries in the world." And the truth is, it is not, not quite, at least for the financial sector. I am dealing with Bay Street senior financial managers and bankers on daily basis, male to female and white to minority skin color are both about 10 to 1.
And IT, especially high level IT tech is in great demand and very well compensated in Canada. I would not be surprised a white IT tech with years of experience in European environment can get a job in one month.
Again, I am not trying to discourage anyone, a lot of people here are not white, including myself, I would rather let people come prepared, than pump them up with false hype and getting crashed by the brutal truth.
@Siriusnick
Being in the financial sector, I am sure you have met people like me.

I am a Portfolio Manager working in a fairly decent company in North America. I have over 8 years work experience (3yrs in external audit in a big four audit firm, and >5yrs in Portfolio management and investment analysis). I currently earn a decent salary (Net = >100k). I am a CFA Charterholder, a CAIA and a CPA. I am also working towards becoming a Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute (FCSI).

I also hold a Master of Science degree in Economics from a UK University, a Bachelor’s degree in Financial Economics from an African University.

Very important: I am black skinned from Africa. I can speak decent English – business English. Socially, I find myself struggling to keep up with the white folks since they do have their slangs and some words whose meanings are far from the meanings in Ancient dictionary. That said, I got a perfect score in IELTS.

Siriusnick, you have been there for >8yrs… I want to ask you how I would fare in the job market; even though I am sure I will be discriminated by the mare fact that I am Africa; it has happened to me in London and New York… Just wondering how bad it is in Toronto..
What do you think??

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hansdza said:
Good point Alexios07

I feel your pain. I wish I were white too.. Heck, I even tried to change my ethnic-sounding name in my resume even though i feel kinda weird with that..
I don't have any pain, Hansdza. As an immigrant, I understand our situation. I accept it and move on to find a company that better fit me.

siriusnick

Star Member
Jun 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cofca said:
@Siriusnick
Being in the financial sector, I am sure you have met people like me.

I am a Portfolio Manager working in a fairly decent company in North America. I have over 8 years work experience (3yrs in external audit in a big four audit firm, and >5yrs in Portfolio management and investment analysis). I currently earn a decent salary (Net = >100k). I am a CFA Charterholder, a CAIA and a CPA. I am also working towards becoming a Fellow of the Canadian Securities Institute (FCSI).

I also hold a Master of Science degree in Economics from a UK University, a Bachelor’s degree in Financial Economics from an African University.

Very important: I am black skinned from Africa. I can speak decent English – business English. Socially, I find myself struggling to keep up with the white folks since they do have their slangs and some words whose meanings are far from the meanings in Ancient dictionary. That said, I got a perfect score in IELTS.

Siriusnick, you have been there for >8yrs… I want to ask you how I would fare in the job market; even though I am sure I will be discriminated by the mare fact that I am Africa; it has happened to me in London and New York… Just wondering how bad it is in Toronto..
What do you think??
Your credential is quite impressive, and from my experience, your compensation should at high 100k figure or 200k range. (if your "net" means after tax, then it is ok). I myself just a lowly CPA at low 100k, but I consider myself extremely lucky. Other minority CPA friends of mine with years of experiences are still struggling to break 100k. But in financial sector, the mostly important thing is not just about salary, but to break into the circle. Minority has enormous disadvantage in that regard, and take very much personal efforts and determination to make you "one of them". There is no short cut, just you.
If I have to say, professional English speaking and writing are absolutely imperative. God knows how hard we tried to overcome our accent and try to speak like native folks, it is a process, and we have to put up our best fight. You may get away with being an engineer or IT tech, but in financial sector, if you cannot speak absolute perfect English, you are out. And it is the very single reason why most minorities got pushed out of the Bay Street circle in Toronto.

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
siriusnick said:
Your credential is quite impressive, and from my experience, your compensation should at high 100k figure or 200k range. (if your "net" means after tax, then it is ok). I myself just a lowly CPA at low 100k, but I consider myself extremely lucky. Other minority CPA friends of mine with years of experiences are still struggling to break 100k. But in financial sector, the mostly important thing is not just about salary, but to break into the circle. Minority has enormous disadvantage in that regard, and take very much personal efforts and determination to make you "one of them". There is no short cut, just you.
If I have to say, professional English speaking and writing are absolutely imperative. God knows how hard we tried to overcome our accent and try to speak like native folks, it is a process, and we have to put up our best fight. You may get away with being an engineer or IT tech, but in financial sector, if you cannot speak absolute perfect English, you are out. And it is the very single reason why most minorities got pushed out of the Bay Street circle in Toronto.
Is Bay Street analogous to Wall Street in NY?? My salary is only in the net >100k range because I currently work in tax-free jurisdiction (British Overseas territory - Cayman Islands)... I know that salary is not possible in Canada... I am actually willing to take a lower pay (but considering my credentials, my lower pay could be CAD 120k gross; is this possible?? maybe not - given that I am African)... I know the story of many CPAs and their struggles in Canada.

@siriusnick, do you think I would get a Portfolio Manager position in Toronto?? Or will I be forced to start as an Investment Analyst?

I have worked in London and New York; and I have interacted with a lot of white clients all over North America, UK and Europe… They all seem to wonder how I ended up doing the job… They always have some reservations beforehand; And I have to work extra hard to convince and make them comfortable.

toludee

Sep 17, 2014
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
11-10-2017
Hansdza said:
Got it.. So for IT, based on this thread, the job market is still promising,

so for IT people with solid background, please come to Canada, there are plenty of jobs here, no problem you will get a job as long as you have the competencies.

For other major, not so much, at least unknown..
Thats Quite Encouraging for folks like US in IT

siriusnick

Star Member
Jun 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cofca said:
Is Bay Street analogous to Wall Street in NY?? My salary is only in the net >100k range because I currently work in tax-free jurisdiction (British Overseas territory - Cayman Islands)... I know that salary is not possible in Canada... I am actually willing to take a lower pay (but considering my credentials, my lower pay could be CAD 120k gross; is this possible?? maybe not - given that I am African)... I know the story of many CPAs and their struggles in Canada.

@siriusnick, do you think I would get a Portfolio Manager position in Toronto?? Or will I be forced to start as an Investment Analyst?

I have worked in London and New York; and I have interacted with a lot of white clients all over North America, UK and Europe… They all seem to wonder how I ended up doing the job… They always have some reservations beforehand; And I have to work extra hard to convince and make them comfortable.
Aside from the fact that Canada is just a quarter of US GDP, yeah, Bay St is basically Canadian version of Wall St.
In general, turnover rate is considerably low at senior level of the established investment banking divisions or institutions. And most, if not all, of those positions are promoted internally. Targeting directly at management level without Canadian background as a minority can be rough and very much rely on luck and personal connections. However, a senior investment analyst with 80k at start should be fairly achievable. I am by no means expert, and it can be completely different cases for others, this is just what I have heard from my colleagues and investor groups I handled. But personally, if I am an investment portfolio manager, I would want to be a part of bigger, stronger and more volatile economy instead of the deadwater Canada, namely the US.

Cofca

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
siriusnick said:
Aside from the fact that Canada is just a quarter of US GDP, yeah, Bay St is basically Canadian version of Wall St.
In general, turnover rate is considerably low at senior level of the established investment banking divisions or institutions. And most, if not all, of those positions are promoted internally. Targeting directly at management level without Canadian background as a minority can be rough and very much rely on luck and personal connections. However, a senior investment analyst with 80k at start should be fairly achievable. I am by no means expert, and it can be completely different cases for others, this is just what I have heard from my colleagues and investor groups I handled. But personally, if I am an investment portfolio manager, I would want to be a part of bigger, stronger and more volatile economy instead of the deadwater Canada, namely the US.
Thanks a lot siriusnick... Your advice is very much helpful.. I wish I was able to get the US PR; but it's not easy... Coming from Africa, you know either a US or Canadian PR is very helpful - being able to create a future for my wife and kids as well doing away with the Visa-applications is my motivation.

My understanding is that, Canadian PR holders can become citizens after 4 years (which maybe slashed to 3yrs) of living in Canada.. my objective is based on this understanding... After the citizenship, I can always run South to New York or Boston for work.. I am not intending to be belittled, paid lower wages and stamped in one lower-level position forever... I would without a doubt get a Portfolio Manager position paying in 150k+ in the US..

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
siriusnick said:
Sirius nick no offense But i do not understand why are you on this forum. I have seen many of your post and all are so negative and pessimistic. It looks like you like to argue with everyone adn love to write against any topic posted.
2ndly you keep on stating Canada down in your comments, if you hate it that much why are you here in the first place.

Let me get you the facts about Canada, It is one of the most safest coutries to live in the world: https://lifestyle9.org/top-10-safest-countries-to-live-in-the-world/
It is one of the most tolerant country in the world ranks top 3 in most surveys : http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/nation/the-10-most-tolerant-nations-in-the-world/
http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/these-are-the-worlds-most-and-least-tolerant-countries--WJex6n3C5ug

What else do you want from a country it is safe and tolerant and you won't be looked down.

Now lets talk about job ethnicity, which I am sick and tired of listening from all the failed stories. When they do not have anything to say than they will say Hiring Manager is racist.
noone wants to see their incompetence.

Check your facts first before pointing fingers and blaming the system.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2011/ted_20110914.htm
Can do filtering on income etc on this site: http://careers.workopolis.com/advice/see-how-much-people-just-like-you-earn-in-canada/

Ignorance has no cure. Ifound the above in 10 mins, if someone gets into detailed reasearch you can see how immigrants are doing very well and earn more than average Caucasian.

Hope16

Star Member
May 13, 2016
I am chemist and a little worried to move to Canada because many people say it hard to get Chemist Job there. Which province has better opportunity for the chemist?