Just wanted to share my timeline for citizenship

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Can anyone tell that once we cope 1095 days in canada and eligible for citizenship and submit an application. As it is a long process takes 1-2 year to get citizenship. Question is can we leave canada for 2-3 months during the process [when we submit application]. Will these days [2-3 months] be count in the process.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can leave Canada during the process of applying for citizenship but you could get your invitation to appear for the exam at any time so you want to be have someone checking your mail in Canada and you want to be ready to go back with 2 weeks notice if they call on you. You can postpone if you really can not appear but that can cause serious delays for you.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Thanks sir leon. Kindly tell how long it will take normally if we applied immediately after 1095 days for citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They give an average of 13-16 months but I have heard of people being done after as little as 8 and as much and 2.5 years.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Leon said:
They give an average of 13-16 months but I have heard of people being done after as little as 8 and as much and 2.5 years.
Thanks Sir Leon. Your efforts for this Forum are really appreciatable.

vinadam

Feb 25, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Edmonton, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hussain10 said:
hi
i applied in july 2008
give test in june 2009 in edmonton
and on same date recieved RQ and back submitted in a week time
recieved letter for finger prints in july 2010 and submitted in same month
and still no progress.
any comments please
Hi,

I just sent an e-mail to MP Rajotte, I will let you know what he'll say, if he can help then maybe you should talk to him about your case, too.

Goodluck!

vinadam

Feb 25, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Edmonton, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinadam said:
Hi,

I just sent an e-mail to MP Rajotte, I will let you know what he'll say, if he can help then maybe you should talk to him about your case, too.

Goodluck!
Here's the reply from office of the MP:

Further to your inquiry regarding your application for citizenship we have spoken to the Citizenship office in Edmonton and they advise that your file is undergoing a residency review. There are considerable backlogs with the officers that do this review and they are hoping to get caught up in this area by the end of the year. Once the officer does the review your file will be given to the Citizenship Judge with the officer's recommendation. The Citizenship Judge will either sign off on the file and ask that ceremony be scheduled or ask that you attend an in person hearing with the Judge.

There is nothing that this office can do to speed up the review process and it is unfortunate that they are experiencing these backlogs.

:(

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
15 - 19 months now for Citizenship processing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

babloo

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
citizenship justice department do not have time to see this kind of RQ cases the best way is to approach local minsiter political representative etc to send them letter etc please hussan keep me update about ur case i also got same RQ letter for my mom no reason at all other then officer mistake or dislikeness

tshah

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,

CIC informed me last week that normal processing now takes almost 2 years, and if you have an RQ, you would add another 1 year.
I took my test back in Feb. 2010, and so far no update. I still do not know why I got an RQ; I've been here since May 2004, and have been working, paying taxes, buying and selling properties, and doing everything by the book. My wife got an RQ as well, they claim she was 30 days short on her application. My RQ was because I was 40 days short, but honestly I have no idea how they calculated that.

Meanwhile, there are so many people out there who get their citizenship in less than 1 year (total processing time) while actually living abroad. I really don't get the system.

Oh well, I guess it takes a few bad seeds to screw up the rest of us.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't even understand why processing for citizenship would take 2 - 3 years. It is outrageous and it just does not make sense. The worse part is that it seems we can not do anything about it. This is our government yet they hold us to hostage with all these backlogs.

larryhui2010

Oct 15, 2010
Hi, Tshah.
When you said CIC office informed you last week about the processing timeline, did they send you a letter or they actually called you about the timeline? If it is like what they said, people who got RQ will wait one more year, then you should be scheduled pretty soon, since you took your test in February this year, correct? I am confused that CIC sent you a very general notice about processing timeline but nothing specific regarding your case. anyways,

I am actually also waiting 5 months after the test, I am also in surrey office, keep in touch.

tshah

Jul 22, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All,

CIC did not send me a letter, the timeline I mentioned was what the CIC agent told me over the phone.
Still no word from CIC on my case, or what the heck they are doing. It is truly sad that processing time is taking this long.

It took 10 years to put a man on the moon in the 1960s, and 2-3 years to process an application for citizenship in 2009.

hussain10

Aug 23, 2010
vinadam said:
Here's the reply from office of the MP:

Further to your inquiry regarding your application for citizenship we have spoken to the Citizenship office in Edmonton and they advise that your file is undergoing a residency review. There are considerable backlogs with the officers that do this review and they are hoping to get caught up in this area by the end of the year. Once the officer does the review your file will be given to the Citizenship Judge with the officer's recommendation. The Citizenship Judge will either sign off on the file and ask that ceremony be scheduled or ask that you attend an in person hearing with the Judge.

There is nothing that this office can do to speed up the review process and it is unfortunate that they are experiencing these backlogs.

:(
any improvement on your file?

vinadam

Feb 25, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Edmonton, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hussain10 said:
any improvement on your file?
Nope, it's been 15 months and counting since I had the test and still, not even a letter or a phone call from Edmonton office. I can't even plan my vacation this year coz of waiting to see if they'll cntact me for the oath-taking and I don't want to miss it...