Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I know many of us are frustrated, stressed out, uncertain, struggling financially, or otherwise dealing with the complications of dealing with the Canadian immigration process. However, despite the expense, the longer-than-we-would-like processing times, the unfortunate incidences when documents are lost or when officials make decisions that utterly baffle us, I would like to express gratitude to the Canadian government for giving us the opportunity to remain with or be reunited with those we love. I just watched a video (found here: http://www.upworthy.com/if-you-happen-across-this-couple-at-the-airport-please-give-them-a-hug-for-me) about a same-sex couple in the US. There is no option for the British spouse to emigrate to the US as a sponsored spouse, based solely on his gender. I deeply appreciate that Canada would recognize my relationship with my best friend and life partner, regardless of the configuration of genitals in our particular marriage. The US could certainly stand to learn some lessons from Canada.

The video literally made me cry, in pain for the young men who face such a barrier in building a life together, and in shame for the way my own home country discriminates. While it is arguably not the most likely outcome, the US Supreme Court could begin to right a lot of these injustices with a broad ruling striking down the Defense of Marriage Act. Fingers crossed!

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
17-08-2013 (lived in Canada since 2012 though)
There is nothing unique about Canada offering immigration channels to people from outside the country.

What is more unique is how bureaucratic and slow it is. No thanks in order in my opinion. I doubt the poor sods who sat around for YEARS in the FSW queue only to have their applications cancelled will be as gushing in their praise.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I think that's a very negative viewpoint. YES, it's a frustratingly slow process, but at least we are given the opportunity, and the fees (minus the lost wages not being able to work, etc., but those are choices we made) are pretty reasonable. As for being uniquely bureaucratic and slow...BAHAHAHAHAHA! Was that a joke? There is NOTHING unique about that; rather, it's par for the course.

I only know anything about immigration to Canada and the US, and same sex couples are given NO avenue for spousal sponsorship for immigration. This is certainly a big difference between the two countries, and one that shames me about my own country.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
orly said:
There is nothing unique about Canada offering immigration channels to people from outside the country.

What is more unique is how bureaucratic and slow it is. No thanks in order in my opinion. I doubt the poor sods who sat around for YEARS in the FSW queue only to have their applications cancelled will be as gushing in their praise.
Orly,

Have you ever tried to obtain a work visa, let alone immigrate, to other developed countries? Look at all of the hassles H-1 workers in the US are experiencing. Look at how difficult it is to get a company to sponsor you for a work permit in the UK right now. Despite its flaws, the Canadian immigration system is still much more open and accessible than most. If it wasn't, all of the people who immigrate here and constantly criticize Canada would have gone somewhere else.

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
torontosm said:
Orly,

Have you ever tried to obtain a work visa, let alone immigrate, to other developed countries? Look at all of the hassles H-1 workers in the US are experiencing. Look at how difficult it is to get a company to sponsor you for a work permit in the UK right now. Despite its flaws, the Canadian immigration system is still much more open and accessible than most. If it wasn't, all of the people who immigrate here and constantly criticize Canada would have gone somewhere else.
You're confusing criticism of CIC with Canada...that aside...

Have a friend actually who applied for an H1-B in late March. Approved last week. Sounds fine.

Go to the UK as a Canadian spouse and you'll fall into the loving arms of the Border Agency...care to guess their timeline? I'll help you out by quoting it from the UKBA site:
"95 per cent of settlement applications within 12 weeks and 100% within 24 weeks of the application date."

3 months lol. If you're a bit tricky 6 months. CIC could only dream of such efficiency.

Even placing severe limits on FSW (after cancelling thousands) and IEC visas to Canada the wait for processing is vast. That's ignoring the variety of streams (for example - Parents/Grandparents, Investors and Entrepreneurs) which CIC have HALTED entirely.

A radical overhaul is required at CIC.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
I know that CIC are more lenient than the UK when it comes to spousal income requirements. My English friend is stuck in Mongolia to be with his fiance, as he can't apply for a Spousal VISA due to the new income requirments introduced to 'ease the burden of immigration for the taxpayer'. So even though he has two degrees and esteemed professions as a business risk mitigator and a maths teacher, it is not enough at this point to fulfill the income requirements set by the UK government. Seems pretty unfair to me.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22833136

caipsfasttracker

Jun 4, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The leniency comes from the fact that while one is at home the other is still working working putting the proverbial bread on the table. It makes perfect logic as one runs the risk of turning away perfectly good new comers to Canada :)

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
orly said:
Have a friend actually who applied for an H1-B in late March. Approved last week. Sounds fine.
Not really. There is a cap of the maximum number of H1B visas given out on an annual basis, which is 65,000 + 20,000 more for foreign students. While this 85,000 may sound like a lot, there are 155 million people in the US workforce, so this represents 0.05% of the total workforce. To put it another way, for FY2014 the cap was reached within 5 days of the application process being opened. This means that anyone who wants to get a H1 visa has to wait until the following year. Still sound fine?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
This Canadian Government is nothing to be thankful for. They have done far more damage to the average Canadian then they have helped.

Its one thing to be grateful for this country its another thing altogether to be thankful for the leadership that who have remove 20000 public service positions, removed Visa Offices and doubled the processing times and illegally interfere with the rights of Canadians. This government doesn't care if you have to wait 6 months for your birth certificate to be replaced. They will whittle public service down so far that the infrastructure will contract osteoporosis.

I'm happy that you can find something to be grateful for but I won't share it until we have another federal election

Andym

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
08-02-2013
I am saddened that the US is still struggling with this issue of basic human rights for it's citizens. I am pleased Canada has made major moves forward in recognizing the equality of GLBT people. Same sex partners are now treated equally under law in Canada.

As a person born in Canada I struggle with my feelings. I felt overjoyed with every stride forward in equality. However, it was a fight here as well. We fought to be recognized as equal persons under law and now I am an equal finally. I hope the US is able to make this step as well and provide basic human rights to all it's citizens.

jatinder751

Jul 2, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
none
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
orly said:

well that was mostly the liberal govt fault who had neither resources(financial/human ) to process the applications but kept taking them in.

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
torontosm said:
Not really. There is a cap of the maximum number of H1B visas given out on an annual basis, which is 65,000 + 20,000 more for foreign students. While this 85,000 may sound like a lot, there are 155 million people in the US workforce, so this represents 0.05% of the total workforce. To put it another way, for FY2014 the cap was reached within 5 days of the application process being opened. This means that anyone who wants to get a H1 visa has to wait until the following year. Still sound fine?
Weren't keeping your eye on IEC visas to Canada eh? The UK allocation for example was gone within hours on each of the 3 days they opened the blocks.

Or FSW which has caps of just 300 per occupation? Again good luck if you're one of those applicants. Not that you'll be short of time to think about whether you're one of the lucky ones. Only 21 months quoted through London for processing and that's one of the "faster" ones!

This is a major problem for Canada that is overlooked simply because "most" Canadians never have dealings with CIC themselves. Canada obviously has no problem attracting applications from plenty of skilled, ambitious and eager individuals willing to come and make a life for themselves. Canada, in many cases, gets the "finished article" having incurred none of the costs of infrastructure to educate, provide health care or other assistance to these people. They just get their working years and taxes. Instead of capitalizing on such a golden ticket, applicants are instead being treating with contempt and many end up going to other english speaking countries of the world. Their gain - Canada's loss.

Whatever way you cut it, CIC is in a monumental mess. Application processes are cumbersome and full of duplication. Some parts are paper based while others are electronic. Communication from officers is non-existent or minimal, with the "minimal" being obtuse or vague responses signed by anonymous initials rather than actual accountable names. It is made impossible in many instances to actually speak to a human being regarding cases. To highlight the truly ridiculous nature of things when you do actually get a "Decision Made" report on eCAS you aren't even given details of what the "Decision" actually is. For the actual decision you get to wait for the mailman. It's completely farcical and Canada, and Canadians, should be ashamed of what, by and large, is a hidden national disgrace. It's a nightmare (and embarrassment) to anyone unfortunate to have been in it's clutches.

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
...and now multiple reports of the only channel of communication (email) being shut down in London. Anyone sending a message, important information or updates gets a delivery failure bounce notice to say the message can not be sent.

Completely unacceptable.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
orly said:
...and now multiple reports of the only channel of communication (email) being shut down in London. Anyone sending a message, important information or updates gets a delivery failure bounce notice to say the message can not be sent.

Completely unacceptable.
Part of the ongoing job action no doubt. Harper is in London addressing Parliament.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
bagelbagel81 said:
I know that CIC are more lenient than the UK when it comes to spousal income requirements. My English friend is stuck in Mongolia to be with his fiance, as he can't apply for a Spousal VISA due to the new income requirments introduced to 'ease the burden of immigration for the taxpayer'. So even though he has two degrees and esteemed professions as a business risk mitigator and a maths teacher, it is not enough at this point to fulfill the income requirements set by the UK government. Seems pretty unfair to me.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22833136
same thing Canada also did atleast for Parents starting Jan 2014