Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I don't know if this topic has been sufficiently covered yet but if you'll allow me, I'd like to get everyone's take on exactly what joint bank accounts can do for the final decision as well as processing time.

Obviously, I'm aware that this would help an application as a couple is more likely to be committed if financial accounts have been combined. To speak of my personal situation, I (US-citizen, sponsored wife) don't have a problem with doing this and told my (Canadian-citizen, sponsoring) husband so, but he told me that he would prefer to keep them seperate because he has a bit of school debt that he wouldn't want me to get associated with or something.

Really, I don't care one way or the other and he is free to access my money (which I have more of), except where this PR application is concerned. If this really is a big deciding factor in how fast you get your PR or if you get it at all, I would have another conversation with my husband to tell him we're better off doing that and showing the evidence to CIC.

Can we maybe have people say whether this was part of their proof of relationship package or not and give their timeline? It would put this in perspective for me. Thanks so much for your invaluable help.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
This would be of use as proof of relationship towards your application. I know I have student debt, but we still added my American husband to my bank accounts here in Canada...

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, these boards move fast! I see I've already got a response and a handful of views and it's only been a few minutes since posting.

Thanks StumpedMom! I look forward to others' comments about whether they showed CIC they combined and what their timeline is.

Rinnerz

Apr 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2010
AOR Received.
14-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-07-2011
LANDED..........
02-08-2011
We showed proof of owning a joint bank account together. It's actually the only account we own between the two of us. My husband has Canadian student loans that haven't been paid off, but this never even crossed our minds as an issue since we are the type to want all our stuff mingled -- and to work towards goals like paying off debt -- together.

As for timeline, heh well... my processing has hit snags due to delays caused by other things (Buffalo losing my police certificate, etc), but according to my CAIPS notes the immigration officer was convinced our relationship is bona fide and waived my interview literally 1 day after we'd received our AOR. However, assessing relationships is a LOT more complicated than that, so I don't think you can really go by that alone. I imagine there are plenty of genuine couples who get approved with no hassles without having joint bank accounts.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Joint bank accounts and credit cards - and other financial proof, such as naming each other as the beneficiary on insurance, joint lease or mortgage, etc. - is really good proof your relationship is genuine. I would add it if possible.
Because you're American, the visa officer is much less likely to suspect you of marriage fraud than if you were from, say, West Africa, so you would most likely be accepted even without evidence you have combined your financial affairs. Still, every little bit helps.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think joint bank accounts are a good idea - especially if you feel you are light in some other areas of relationship evidence. But nothing is a "must have" and evidence should be evaluated as a whole rather than individually.

My husband and I did not include a joint bank account statement because we didn't have one at that time. However we had so much other evicence proving our relationship that we didn't feel this was an issue. Some of the other info we included was proof of 30 trips taken together over five years that involved flights (several of them to very far away places and a few where my mom tagged along), many photos of us together from many different places around the world, bills/photos/cards/etc. from an intimate but expensive wedding, proof he'd essentially been living with me as a visitor for four years, etc.

Our case was finalized in four months through Buffalo.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
When you are showing a joint bank account as proof of combining your affairs with each other, what exactly to you show to the IO? Do u show a bank statement that shows all money coming in and out and the balance? Is there just some letter from the bank that shows your 2 names on the account proving that it is joint? Do u show numerous bank statements? What happens if we close the joint account right before applying? The reason I ask this is because my now boyfriend, future spouse, is from Dominican Republic. I have lived here for the past almost 2 years and we plan on getting a joint bank account even though we both have our own separate accounts from the same bank... We´re goign to get married probably in summer 2012 and after that I will move back to Canada and thens submit the PR application. Me having a bank account in DR will not be accessible from Canada (Banco Popular) and when my husband comes to live in Canada after receiving his PR, would he be able to close the bank account without me being present since my name would be on it? Would it be a problem for immigration if we show proof of having a joint account for a year, even if it is closed at the time PR is filed?
Thanks for your responses :)

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
We included a letter from the bank stating an account was opened on xxxxxx jointly by xxxx & xxxx. We also printed out a couple statements from it was opened and a couple more dated around the time we submitted out application

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, Rinnerz. I guess what I am getting from people is the equivalent of "why not, can't hurt." And I think the problem is that my husband, even though he came to Canada himself on the Skilled Class visa, does not realize the nature of these family class applications where the burden falls on the two people in a relationship to prove that it is a genuine and committed one (I mean, I did all the work for the application and paid for it and I also have spent the hours researching both here and elsewhere). I mean, he gets it at some basic level, but last night I had another conversation with him about the fact that CIC needs EVIDENCE (such as joint bank account) to decide about the genuineness of a relationship and he said, "but we ARE genuine." I don't think he gets that they can't just take our word for it (nor are they clairvoyants) and that we actually have to go out of our way to prove it.

Rinnerz said:
We showed proof of owning a joint bank account together. It's actually the only account we own between the two of us. My husband has Canadian student loans that haven't been paid off, but this never even crossed our minds as an issue since we are the type to want all our stuff mingled -- and to work towards goals like paying off debt -- together.

As for timeline, heh well... my processing has hit snags due to delays caused by other things (Buffalo losing my police certificate, etc), but according to my CAIPS notes the immigration officer was convinced our relationship is bona fide and waived my interview literally 1 day after we'd received our AOR. However, assessing relationships is a LOT more complicated than that, so I don't think you can really go by that alone. I imagine there are plenty of genuine couples who get approved with no hassles without having joint bank accounts.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Judging by your visa office, canadianwoman, I guess you are talking from experience when you say, "from, say, West Africa" huh? (if it's any solidarity, my husband is originally from North Africa). Yes, indeed, every little bit helps. The only thing in this financial affairs field that we included was a photocopy of an apartment lease that had both of our names on it. We have separate bank cards and accounts, and we're not quite at the "big person" stage to have life insurance or mortgage. (I don't think adding me to his health insurance would benefit us either, at this point - what do you think?). Obviously, I'm seriously considering now making these changes...

canadianwoman said:
Joint bank accounts and credit cards - and other financial proof, such as naming each other as the beneficiary on insurance, joint lease or mortgage, etc. - is really good proof your relationship is genuine. I would add it if possible.
Because you're American, the visa officer is much less likely to suspect you of marriage fraud than if you were from, say, West Africa, so you would most likely be accepted even without evidence you have combined your financial affairs. Still, every little bit helps.

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
It looks to my eye by your signature that you already sent the package...

In which case I wouldn't stress about it. The only benifit of having a joint account (and doing it now) is if they call you up for an interview. That way you can show that while you were waiting for them you moved forward with your relationship.

I don't know how his student debt works exactly, but if the loan is in his name from one bank, you could open a brand new joint account at a different bank and perhaps in doing so prevent you being on the hook for his loan.

Having a join bank account is great thing for proof - and we included letters from both of our banks which had the dates we opened the joint account as well as void cheque with our names on them (but we didn't include statements as they aren't in english and we didn't want to spend the money translating them) - however, it is by no means a deal breaker as there is lots of different kinds of proof you can submit showing the genuine nature of your relationship and I don't think it speeds up the process.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ddobro2 said:
Judging by your visa office, canadianwoman, I guess you are talking from experience when you say, "from, say, West Africa" huh?
Yep.
Yes, indeed, every little bit helps. The only thing in this financial affairs field that we included was a photocopy of an apartment lease that had both of our names on it. We have separate bank cards and accounts, and we're not quite at the "big person" stage to have life insurance or mortgage. (I don't think adding me to his health insurance would benefit us either, at this point - what do you think?).
You're an American, so it probably won't make any difference, but just to be 100% sure you did everything you could, getting evidence of joining your financial affairs would be a good idea. If you can be easily added to his health insurance, I would do it.
Don't think that just because you've submitted the application, evidence gathering is done. For the interview the visa officer may well want to see evidence of your genuine relationship dating from after the application was sent in. So keep collecting proof.

cndcit

Sep 16, 2010
What banks in Canada offer joint accounts abroad? My bank has told me my spouse has to reside in Canada and it's the same with other stuff like names on land title,utility bills etc. Without status in Canada how can you use joint accounts a proof of relationship? HSBC, I heard has joint accounts between Canada and overseas but requires a healthy minimum balance. How are joint anything possible if each live in different countries?

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
What banks in Canada offer joint accounts abroad? My bank has told me my spouse has to reside in Canada and it's the same with other stuff like names on land title,utility bills etc. Without status in Canada how can you use joint accounts a proof of relationship? HSBC, I heard has joint accounts between Canada and overseas but requires a healthy minimum balance. How are joint anything possible if each live in different countries?
I bank with CIBC and they told me the same, my husband is in Albania while I am in Canada. Which bank would allow us to open a joint account even with him being in Albania?

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
We have discussed having a joint account but what is the point until we are together? I'm sure immigration would view it that way too.

In fact, I have only 3 cheques left in my name but I don't want to order new ones until he gets here. I'm looking forward to seeing both our names on them...:)