+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it really worth moving to Canada???????????????

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I agree with Badmus. It is not as easy as a lot of people think for Canadians to walk over the border and start working here in the US.

If you have no wish for living in Canada and doing this for only moving to the US, then you might be disappointed.
But if Canada might be a close second for the places you'd want to live at, then you don't loose.

Badmus

Star Member
Sep 28, 2005
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
24-07-2005
LANDED..........
July '19
rupeshhari

Please tell him, and draw his attention to America citizen processing their RP on this platform.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Idea is good "Immigrate to canada and work in USA".
I remember a Chinese proverb that when translated into English means "don't put your feet in two boats" .
There can be lot of impediments to overcome for such life. I know personally some one working in Detroit and his family settled in Mississauga. He used to make frequent trips by road ( even during horrible winter time ) to spend week-end with his family in Canada.!!!.

babutv2000

Jan 29, 2009
Hello Frenchasian,

The cost of living is very subjective and personal. Like the place I am living in North york with a friend in single room apartment, it is costing cad 650 my share of rental, cad 250 groceries share, cad 100 towards cable, phone and internet. Another cad 150 for monthly pass for subway.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Badmus said:
rupeshhari

Please tell him, and draw his attention to America citizen processing their RP on this platform.
there are restrictions for Canadian-born Citizens wishing to immigrate on (the equivalent of) Famiily Class applications, of course there are restrictions for persons who acquire PR status in Canada with the sole intention of immigrating to the US.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
tgchi13 said:
there are restrictions for Canadian-born Citizens wishing to immigrate on (the equivalent of) Famiily Class applications, of course there are restrictions for persons who acquire PR status in Canada with the sole intention of immigrating to the US.
I missed the American Citizen part the first time. My now-deceased father, professionally successful in Canada, (Canadian born Citizen) married a professionally successful American woman in 1988 and didn't receive his PR status until 2001 - thirteen years. He did not live long enough to receive his citizenship.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
chandan said:
That agony, trauma and shock is on our memories.
I can imagine, brother, what you and your wife have been going through. Very sorry to read your post. May his soul R.I.P.

awaranag

Sep 14, 2009
Hi All
Came back from Canada last week.Was there for almost 50 days(with Family).I have to admit Canada is WOW.Went to Vancouver,Toronto and Calgary.Job market is not as tight as some people assume...as long as you are prepared to work for CAD 12-13 hourly rates initially.My suggestion to all forum members to try and land in Calgary,and I am sure u won't be without survival job from day one.
As for me...I have come back with my PR cards and I have another 3 yrs to go back to Canada.I am in middle east and as of now I am happy and in no mood to sacrifice my job for Canada...may be after one year...I might thinj about it.
Good wishes to all forunm members.

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
awaranag said:
Hi All
Came back from Canada last week.Was there for almost 50 days(with Family).I have to admit Canada is WOW.Went to Vancouver,Toronto and Calgary.Job market is not as tight as some people assume...as long as you are prepared to work for CAD 12-13 hourly rates initially.My suggestion to all forum members to try and land in Calgary,and I am sure u won't be without survival job from day one.
As for me...I have come back with my PR cards and I have another 3 yrs to go back to Canada.I am in middle east and as of now I am happy and in no mood to sacrifice my job for Canada...may be after one year...I might thinj about it.
nice to hear all this from u. but i wnat clarification on one thing. i have read on this forum a number of times is that toronto is better option for survival jobs but u have mentioned calgary instead of toronto. i m not doubting u since u got first hand exp. but can anyone give opinion on this cause i m getting confused.

i wish i m not offending anybody.

sanju1676

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Hi Awaranag,

That is a good information for all of us. Please tell us how much time it took to get the PR card? and which place you think will be better for IT professionals.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
awaranag said:
Hi All
Assuming one works 40 hours per week, is 13$ per hour enough to live on. I ask this because TAs in the US are paid higher but can only work up to 20 hours. Was wondering if the above is enough for say a family of 3 in Canada?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
[quote author=rupeshhari.msg222738#msg222738 date=1266387328]
Assuming one works 40 hours per week, is 13$ per hour enough to live on. I ask this because TAs in the US are paid higher but can only work up to 20 hours. Was wondering if the above is enough for say a family of 3 in Canada?[/quote]

No, it won't be enough... $13/hr will keep us hand-to-mouth, but enough for survival, initially. At least with that we will not 'deplete' our landing funds considerably.

Thus, the idea is to take it... carry-on for 3-4 months, which should be enough time to establish ourselves & get a hold of the new environs. By then, we should be able to access the Canadian Job Market, understand where to -what to look for... & take a pic of a better vocation.

It is expected that given a 3-4 months of initial 'survival job', one should be able to find a better position [albeit again another survival one only] with $15-18/hr. That should make some enhancement on our std of living. Carry-on with that for another 6-8 months... thereafter, we can expect something of our liking.

The point here I'm trying to make is... it is always good to take a job rather than sitting idle for the eventuality. We atleast, can start building our Canadian experience History. Which is the ever rising requirement to be successful in the Canadian Job Market. Besides, those jobs shall provide us a peace of mind, that our funds are still with us, if not fully, but yet 'we have some', aren't we?

Have a look at this site. For a Starter [Survival] Job how about $2,848/month? While being a 'Security Officer'... and within Toronto??? http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-driver-security-Security-Guards-Wanted-W0QQAdIdZ171200180. And this is not the only one, there are many others...

Regards,
Qorax.

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
awaranag said:
Hi All
Awaranag,... congrats, and tks for the infos,... I have a different opinion from yours,... To me,.. I feel it would be better to breakup the trips to Canada, in order that we do not need to be forced-sit in Canada later, ie cannot leave once inside Canadian soil because we have to fulfill that number of days within the five years,...

But perhaps your situation is different from mine,.. you may want to work, earn and save as much as you can at your current job,.... in preparations for your final move to Canada. But yes - you have done correctly by NOT giving up everything and just jumping over to Canada.

Another way to look at things is : at the end of the day, we will have to be in Canada and to defend our PR-ship, why not start to do it earlier rather than later ?

Any other opinions from others ?

And yes,... I have the same question as the other forummer - how long does it take for them to mail you the PR Card ?

charninder

Jul 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sanjeevindia said:
nice to hear all this from u. but i wnat clarification on one thing. i have read on this forum a number of times is that toronto is better option for survival jobs but u have mentioned calgary instead of toronto. i m not doubting u since u got first hand exp. but can anyone give opinion on this cause i m getting confused.

i wish i m not offending anybody.
Because if everybody chooses toronto, there will be more supply and less demand. That's why awaranag is prefering calgary - less supply more demand (may be ).

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
charninder said:
Because if everybody chooses toronto, there will be more supply and less demand. That's why awaranag is prefering calgary - less supply more demand (may be ).
..Charninder,.. yes, I believed your theory is correct, and we should put Calgary or even Nunavut into the field which says which city we intend to go to,.... I believed it enhances our chances further rather than Toronto, or Vancouver,... any comments please ?