+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it possible to do PR landing and apply for spousal visa in a few weeks?

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I've gotten my ITA and will hopefully get the PR later this year. Am thinking of landing in Vancouver in early 2018 and at the same time, applying to sponsor my then wife (currently she's just my girlfriend, not even a common-law partner). I'm thinking of staying in Vancouver for a few weeks at the most and then leaving Canada. I'm only planning to settle in Canada in a couple of years. Is this possible? Or is the time frame just too tight? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Alexander80 said:
Hi, I've gotten my ITA and will hopefully get the PR later this year. Am thinking of landing in Vancouver in early 2018 and at the same time, applying to sponsor my then wife (currently she's just my girlfriend, not even a common-law partner). I'm thinking of staying in Vancouver for a few weeks at the most and then leaving Canada. I'm only planning to settle in Canada in a couple of years. Is this possible? Or is the time frame just too tight? Thank you!
Not possible. A few problems with your plan:

1) If you get married before you land, then you have to add your wife to your application BEFORE you land, return the visa you were issued when you were single, wait for CIC to process the paperwork for your new wife and then receive the new PR visa. Only then will you (along with your new wife) be able to land.
2) If you get married after you land, then as a PR, you will need to be in Canada in order to sponsor your wife and will need to remain in Canada while the application is being processed. So you can't apply to sponsor your wife and leave. You have to stay in Canada for the months it takes to finalize the application.

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Not possible. A few problems with your plan:

1) If you get married before you land, then you have to add your wife to your application BEFORE you land, return the visa you were issued when you were single, wait for CIC to process the paperwork for your new wife and then receive the new PR visa. Only then will you (along with your new wife) be able to land.
2) If you get married after you land, then as a PR, you will need to be in Canada in order to sponsor your wife and will need to remain in Canada while the application is being processed. So you can't apply to sponsor your wife and leave. You have to stay in Canada for the months it takes to finalize the application.
Woah good thing I didn't try it then. Thank you!