+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada Worth It?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
odin2404 said:
Accepted ... Life's hard! But hey, we, ourselves, are all reponsible for what life doles out to us.
You are correct in some circumstances, however, when waiting for immigration to make decisions, it is obvious that none of us have any control over that process.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
Mundo said:
Good to hear that the immigration policy is under review. I would like to contribute my experience since I'm a landed immigrant and have been in Canada for 3 years now. Who knows our suggestions will be considered. It will help the new ones planning to migrate.

First, I'll tell you, Canada doesn't recognized the degree, profession and years of experience that the landed immigrant has earned in his country of origin. I have come to realize what Canada meant when it says it welcomes skilled workers- are actually those in the category of labourer, janitors, warehouse men, cabbies, security guards and the llike. Immigrants with regulated professions like engineers, foresters, pharmacists, etc. are not needed here because Canada has its own already. I suggest Canada should make it clear that they only need people to fill in the manufacturing or construction industry.

If Canada would like to recognize the skilled professions of immigrants that are considered regulated, I suggest that these immigrants should be given the chance to challenge the licensure exams instead of telling them that their education had to be assessed again, that they have to go to school again, that they have to undergo apprenticeship, my God! this is time consuming and an immigrant who is new had to make a living to feed his family, pay high rent, etc. He can't afford to go to school again. If the Canada Visa office had already scrutinized all the documents submitted and recognized the education, profession and experience of that individual, why is it that when that immigrant arrives in Canada, all these credentials are not recognized whenever he starts applying for a job? I hope the Canadian government can give a chance for these professionals to challenge the exams. If they pass, it means that they are at par with the Canadian professionals. Give at least a maximum of 3 times for them to take the exams and if they still fail, then that's the time they'll be asked to go back to school.

In fact, I tell you the truth, I'm planning to go back to my home country. Most of the immigrants in the skilled category feel they have lost their dignity. I am even telling these to those who are planning to immigrate that if they are not hard up and they can still eat 3 times a day in their country of origin, don't go to Canada. Jokingly, I add, be prepared to forget who you are for you're nothing when you arrived in Canada- eat your pride and start flexing your muscles- you don't need your brains and Canada don't either.

PS. I also see this "immigration" thing as a way to provide for the pension of those who are going to retire as well as those in welfare. Skilled immigrants who come here are hardworking and honestly pay their taxes. By working and continuing paying taxes, retirees are assured they have pensions. Immigrants also bring lots of money before they can land in Canada. A family of 3 are required to bring at least Cad$12,000. Just imagine if there are around 100,000 a year coming- that's a lot of money for Canada! Immigrants just have to struggle and government support is little.
Very true, I second you.

schwarzeradler

Mar 10, 2010
SISH7255 said:
Very true, I second you.
SISH7255,
Would you be kind enough to drop a few lines about your personal experience(s). The mere fact that one person or a few persons landed a job within hours, days or weeks of landing is not enough to judge the situation as a whole. It is just like, when an applicant gets his visa, and the whole forum gets into an Euphoric mood. How about the thousands that are waiting?
Majority of the people I have met and spoken to, seem to share the same views as yours and Mundo. They all agree that there are a lot of "Blue Collar Jobs" though.
Not that their is anything wrong with blue collar jobs, it is just that most of us, or better said, I personally think I have had my own fair share of going through doing this kind of jobs and would definitely won't like going through the same "ordeal" again.
Your experience on ground would definitely be of great help. I mean, both positive and negative.

Cheers!!!

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Baloo said:
Please provide me the direct link to the blog and I will post them.
Paste this into your browser:
tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=3&action=blog&subaction=viewPost&post_id=14150&blog_id=323

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks to everyone who is participating in this conversation. You might find tonight's program interesting: The Mosaic in Meltdown? Are Canadians tired of accommodating new immigrants? Is that why more and more of them opt for the melting pot rather than the mosaic model of immigrant integration?

That is on TVO tonight at 8 pm Once the program is online I will provide the link.

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Mundo said:
Good to hear that the immigration policy is under review. I would like to contribute my experience since I'm a landed immigrant and have been in Canada for 3 years now. ...

Thanks for your comments, do I have your permission to add them to the blog on are website

yespapa

Feb 1, 2011
Britain
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The whole forum seems to be putting me off applying to Canada. I have a Phd in molecular biology with 5.5 UK experience but without a full time job in the UK for the last 1.5 years. Currently working as a lab assistant in the NHS. Do I have a chance.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
bascially it's all about expectations. the better your preparation the better the chances to arrive with realistic expectations and the easier to cope with your situation. I've met quite a lot of immigrants who didn;t do their homeworks and who were quite surprised that their degrees wouldnt be accepted here in Canada. This is information you should get before you arrive and should be part of your decision making process to move to Canada.
The same refers to job chances. There's quite a lot possiblities out there in the internet that provide you the information that you need to get some sort of first feasibility check. The forum is full of people writing about being unemployed for a couple of month after arrival. So why still do people arrive thinking that they'll find a good job within a couple of days?
I saw the discussion round on TV where immigrants were complaning about canada. there was the fashion designer from syria in her end 30's/early 40's who couldnt hit a job in her profession and was regretting given up her good position in her home country. I was wondering what she was expecting from moving to canada???

If you're well prepared and you come with realistic expectations, then you will be ok.

kathe

Sep 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
AOR Received.
17/02/2011
Med's Request
24/05/2011
Med's Done....
27/06/2011 RPRF Sent...:27/06/2011 RPRF Cashed...: 29/06/2011
Passport Req..
14/07/2011 Passport submitted...: 10/08/2011
VISA ISSUED...
18/08/2011
LANDED..........
Soon
yespapa said:
The whole forum seems to be putting me off applying to Canada. I have a Phd in molecular biology with 5.5 UK experience but without a full time job in the UK for the last 1.5 years. Currently working as a lab assistant in the NHS. Do I have a chance.

Where on earth, there is no challenge? Life itself is an endless test, a sort of battle, if you are unafraid of serial tests of life, you can go everywhere your heart takes. You just need sufficient strings to your bow.

You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.
Christopher Columbus

Mundo

Jan 31, 2011
I believe it would be better to allow the landed immigrant to challenge the exam once he reach Canada. If he doesn't make it in 3 tries, he has a chance either to go back to school and upgrade his profession or he can pursue another course for a change in career. What I'm try to point out is for these professionals (whose professions are considered regulated in Canada) be allowed to challenge the exams right away once they land since the skills and experience they bring is very much related to what they were doing when they were still in their country of origin. Just imagine if you're a licensed engineer with 15 years experience back home and when you land in Canada, your credentials are assessed and results show you are only in a level of a third year engineering student? For sure you'll end up working as a laborer in the construction industry.

Well, for the guy from India who was lucky ( I read abt him too) just 2 days after landing and got a job. I believe he doesn't fall under the regulated profession. And how many people in this entire forum had such a luck? One? I'm not saying you bring down the whole system. I'm trying to give my real experience and those of my friends who are engineers, foresters, accountants, pharmacists... who are experiencing hardships just to make both ends meet. My suggestions can be a win-win situation. Both the immigrant and Canada will benefit. We should not pin our hope in luck, right?

Mundo

Jan 31, 2011
To David_TVO

It's okay for you to post it. If my contribution will help both the immigrant and Canada, by all means- yes!

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes ,CANADA WORTH IT
I will explain in detail
I LOVE CANADA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_z_kJAINtU&feature=related

Kanamen

Champion Member
Oct 20, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear David_TVO
Following is the link by Sincere and Respected Debbie Trenholm and Donna Messer
which will give you answers
http://www.connectuscanada.com/choose/stories.htm

Donna's story - 3rd Generation Canadian

My grandparents immigrated from Britain, Ireland and Wales. They all wanted a fresh start, a new country to build a new life in.

I have always taken Canada for granted, enjoying all of the gifts Canada has to offer, and never thinking about those who come here from other countries who have never had what I have. My life has been wonderful, with an opportunity to achieve my dreams, to be an entrepreneur, a successful business woman, a mentor, and a speaker; to have healthy children and grandchildren and to know that Canada is a safe environment for my entire network of friends, family and associates.

I choose Canada, because we are free to choose – our religion, our beliefs, our lifestyle. Canada is a country that welcomes new cultures, embraces the similarities and finds ways to blend and meld the differences. We are a unique country – young, enthusiastic and proud. We don’t often sing our own praises, but we can – in many dialects, and with many different voices. I am proud of my country and I Choose Canada!

Debbie's story - 4th generation Canadian

I have lived in Canada all my life. During this time, I have had the opportunity to travel to many parts of the world. I embark on these trips to learn about new cultures, often new languages, meet new people, explore new landscapes and gain a greater understanding of the history of that country. To me, this is a fascinating way to appreciate the vastness of the world that we live in.

I have always said that, "the best part of being away, is coming home". Coming home to Canada. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the freedom that Canada offers. We have the freedom to travel abroad and be warmly welcomed as a "friendly Canadian". We have the freedom to grow personally and professionally without restrictions. There is the freedom to experience the various cultures, religions and backgrounds of the people who live in our country. I believe that this valuable freedom builds an underlying respect for each other, enabling us to live peacefully. This freedom can easily be taken for granted, as I have experienced that not all countries offer their residents the similar freedom that I enjoy by living in Canada. I am proud to be Canadian and to have chosen to live in Canada.

Nina's Story - Born in India - came to Canada from Kuwait, now a Canadian

I first visited Canada in the summer of 1985. I loved the country so much that I returned for a visit few years later. I decided to immigrate and finally moved from Kuwait to Canada in 1999 with suitcases and big dreams. I've met a lot of wonderful people who have become my friends for life! There are so many cultures here that we are like one world, yet we are all united by a common bond of being Canadian. Since moving here, my life has gone through a 360 degree turnaround and I'm a whole new person. I'm doing what I love and enjoying every moment of it.

Bob’s story – Canadian

Canada is safe and it’s clean. The Canadian government, and the fellow residents of this country, are, for the most part, strong supporters of the free enterprise system that is the foundation of this country. Because of this, I am allowed to freely express my own views.

I work in a business where freedom of speech and interactive exchange of ideas in encouraged. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do what I do for a living because the values of our country support it. Believe it or not, there are many broadcasters throughout the world who do not enjoy these same freedoms.

And after work, I am happy in knowing that I can go home to a clean, safe neighbourhood with an exceptional school system and where everything my family needs is nearby.

Bob is a radio host on Hometown Drive Home, am900 CHML Radio,
Hamilton, Ontario.

Vincenza’s story - 1st Generation Canadian. Parents came to Canada from Italy

Canada is my country of choice. One can say that the decision was made for me before I was born, but, I argue that I have consciously chosen to be Canadian. My parents both immigrated to Canada from different regions of Italy, met, married and raised a family in Sault Ste. Marie. As “Canadian” as I am, there has always been a strong Italian undercurrent which I have successfully reconciled. Striking a balance between the two cultures has been a constant exercise in patience, persistence and determination. Securing dual citizenship has symbolically linked the two cultures to my identity, yet, when I travel, it’s always under the Canadian passport. I have been fortunate to have the freedom to pursue higher education and to have a career that has taken me to places in the world, that have reaffirmed my appreciation for the “Canadian way of life”.

Shiri's story - came to Canada from Israel

Growing up in Tel-Aviv, Israel, I was surrounded by the charm of the Mediterranean sea, by coffee shops that are open 24 hours a day, and by warm and helping people. I was also accustomed to heat waves that reached 40 degrees, the necessity to be somewhat assertive if you wanted to reach any where, and of course – the perpetual threat to the safety of the people, which resulted in endless marathon to ‘seize the day.’ In 1991, right after the Gulf War, my parent decided to treat our exhausted family which included myself (then16) and my two younger brothers to a trip abroad to the US and Canada. We had my father’s sister who lived in Toronto since 1989 and offered us her home for the visit.

We first arrived in Banff, and were captivated by the magnificent breath-taking serenity of the Rocky Mountains and Lake Louise. From there, we came to Toronto, where large, wide roads and polite(er) drivers welcomed us. We enjoyed our month long stay and upon returning to Israel, it seemed that we could not let go of the memories… My parents proceeded to apply for the legality of arriving to live in Canada and it took three years for the procedure to complete.

In 1994, with me still serving in the Israeli Army, my family immigrated to Canada. I joined them a few months later with strong longing for that country which magically palpitated itself into my heart: CANADA. Where I finally met first hand with mother-nature. Where I learned about patience, about grace, about appreciating the small miracles of daily living: such as driving on the #401 merely an hour away from my home and looking at cows, horses, and even deer; having cheerful squirrels visiting my yard, stepping onto a shopping mall, a bus, the subway, with the given understanding that I am safe; of having the opportunity to pursue my dreams, my education, and finding my own self within the boundaries of impossibility.

Yvonne's Story - First Nations Canadian, Namgis and Peguis Nation Ancestry

From Beginning of Time and Through the Changes!!! I belong to Canada.
The reason for this is that I am a First Nations Woman known as Life-Giver and Caretaker to my children, family and community. I can trace my ancestry to beginning of time to this great land through the legends of my family. Despite the challenges, we have managed to continue to hold the treasures of our culture close to our heart and pass them on to our children. We call ourselves Canadian proudly as we share our stories of how our ancestors help shape the lands of today in unity with many nations.

The First Nation has survived the misunderstandings, trials and tribulations of the time. The methods of the ancestors of the process may not have been honorable. It may have caused conflict with the First Nations meanings to all of those who are, the teachings are to respect and take care of each other and the land. However we have witnessed though time the growing pains of this Country and when the time has been right and the opportunity presents itself Canada has made the wrongs right. It is a slow process and we continue to work in that direction today. It is these teachings that have made Canada Strive for the success that it is today.

From first contact we have role modelled the "Canadian Attitude" of being a welcoming country. It is evident by how we live in harmony and unity. We have also witnessed the many successes of this. There is freedom for all ethnic groups to celebrate who they are. We as Canadian have undergone many changes to understand each other and to respect the differences and honor them, such as the Treaty Settlement of the Nisga People and the ability for "Two Spirited" relationships to share their lives together in marriage. These changes have let the Canadian People and People of the World know that we do not pass judgment on their beliefs.

We hold our head high and let our spirits lead the way for the better of all and continue to welcome change for the good and that is what makes me proud to live in Canada and to be called a First Nations Canadian.

"I am Canadian"

petrajo

May 28, 2010
Absolutely wonderful staff I really enjoyed. Am landing on 21/02/2011 I’ll let you know how it goes in the future!

I strongly advice you to post such videos and ideas.....:)

David_TVO

Star Member
Jan 29, 2011
Kanamen said:
Dear David_TVO
Following is the link by Sincere and Respected Debbie Trenholm and Donna Messer
which will give you answers
http://www.connectuscanada.com/choose/stories.htm
Thanks for these stories and the link. I am going to post that link to our facebook page at the end of our special week of programming. You can always add your comments to our blogs or our Facebook page.

Paste links into your browser
facebook.com/TheAgenda?ref=ts

Agenda Blog with all the videos(free account required)
bit.ly/yourcomments