N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
JainaFel said:
Thanks Rossei, that was a very informative post.

So co-op terms are separate from study terms? Like you don't have to attend formal classes if that particular term is focused on co-op?
Yes, they're separate. For example, if you study in Fall & Winter; you may work as a co-op in Summer depending on the course schedule. Moreover, co-op jobs are normally full-time day jobs.

Also, about the student wages, I am not sure what the Steps 1-8 mean.
Consider Step-1 as 1st year 1st term, Step-2 as 1st year 2nd term etc. As a University UG program consists of 8 study terms in general; it classifies 8 steps max. On the contrary, a College UG will have 6 study terms and so on. So, if you do a co-op after 1st year 1st term; you would fall under Step-1.

JainaFel

Feb 10, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-04-2013
enfield said:
Hi,

1. From your home country, you apply for TRV based on your LOA. You get SP at port.
2. If your LOA states about Co-Op, you get it at port along with your SP, otherwise if Co-Op is a part of last semester, you will have to apply for it separately.
I start in Fall 2013, but my Co-op term isn't until Winter 2014. Should I already apply for the co-op permit together with my study permit? My LoA doesn't say anything about a co-op, but in my fee invoice and receipt, it shows that I've already paid for the co-op fee in the winter term.

Jack Sparrow

Mar 13, 2013
Rossei said:
Yes, they're separate. For example, if you study in Fall & Winter; you may work as a co-op in Summer depending on the course schedule. Moreover, co-op jobs are normally full-time day jobs.
Consider Step-1 as 1st year 1st term, Step-2 as 1st year 2nd term etc. As a University UG program consists of 8 study terms in general; it classifies 8 steps max. On the contrary, a College UG will have 6 study terms and so on. So, if you do a co-op after 1st year 1st term; you would fall under Step-1.
Dude, is Applied Project same as Co-op? Is applied project paid or?

Dav1d0

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rossei

I will like to find out if COOP programs are limited to certain courses or it is up to you to show how relevant your study is to the offered COOP position.

I am an intending Masters student, I did not find my course "Engineering Management" on the list of studies for COOP at the University of Ottawa.hence, why i ask.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Jack Sparrow said:
Dude, is Applied Project same as Co-op? Is applied project paid or?
I don't think so. Applied Project is I guess an alternative of Thesis. I don't know much about it. On the other hand, co-op is a job that you're hired by a company to do on contract basis.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Dav1d0 said:
Hi Rossei

I will like to find out if COOP programs are limited to certain courses or it is up to you to show how relevant your study is to the offered COOP position.

I am an intending Masters student, I did not find my course "Engineering Management" on the list of studies for COOP at the University of Ottawa.hence, why i ask.
Generally, co-op's are limited to engineering, science & applied science and business students. But other programs may have it depending on the school. You didn't mention about your intended school, otherwise I could have searched for it.

If your school doesn't offer co-op opportunity for "Engineering Management"; you still can manage a co-op all by yourself after consulting with your school/department. Some schools are cool with it if you arrange it yourself.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shareit said:
Thank you. That was a pretty informative post.

Quick question: Are co-op committal programs? Most people will continue to apply for jobs in their fields even while being in a co-op program. What if they get a job offer? Can they quit the program (immediately?) and proceed to the new job?
for some programs, co-ops are mandatory such as in engineering. for others, they can be optional but only if the university/ college offers it. an official co-op designation means 16 months of work experience through co-op terms i.e. 4 semesters worth of work experience.

If optional, you have to apply first to the school department to get into the co-op program. as the OP stated, there are certain requirements you have to satisfy to be eligible and remain eligible and they just dont let anybody in. Once you are accepted into the co-op program , you get access to all the co-op jobs available to the school. You can drop out of the optional co-op at any time however it may affect your overall gpa if you quit in the middle of the work term (it did at my school).

If mandatory, you have to complete the co-op work terms in order to graduate, no exceptions.

also while on co-op, there are certain requirements you have to complete every work term. such as writing a co-op report at the end of each term. I had a co-op adviser who visited me every term to see how things were, how i was treated and how i found the employer etc.

Alternatively, some schools may offer what is called a 'work experience' option. this works the same as co-op but with less restrictions. You dont need a specific gpa to enter or to maintain status, you get access to the same job portal as co-ops do and you only need 2 work terms to get the designation on your degree.

It is better to time the co-op work terms throughout your degree if you have the flexibility. It is very hard to get co-op in the first year as expectations are high and skill levels are low. when you are in second or third year, you have shown commitment to your education and proved your ability (a lot of people flunk out of engineering/ Comp Sci programs after the first year). so its a bit easier to get a placement after first year. Some prefer to do all/most of their work terms at the end of their program after all the school terms have finished. This allows them to continue working as a full time employee after their co-op terms have ended. Otherwise you have to go back to school to finish your courses and that job may not be available once you are finished.

One more thing that i have noticed during my work terms and thought i should throw it out there. Make sure the job you are getting is meaningful. Employers will usually hire just about anybody for meaningless jobs because co-ops provide cheap labor. This work experience will not benefit you in the long run. I have seen electrical/ mechanical engineering students doing software QA jobs for co-ops. SQA is an entry level job for perhaps com sci / soft eng students but not for elec/ mech engineers and probably wont look too good on the resumes. sometimes, the perfect job is not available right away. So be patient and wait if you have to, it pays in the long run.

BTW, all of the above is based on my experiences at UVIC. the same may/ may not apply to other schools and their co-op programs/ availability may differ. but the idea still applies.

Dav1d0

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rossei said:
Generally, co-op's are limited to engineering, science & applied science and business students. But other programs may have it depending on the school. You didn't mention about your intended school, otherwise I could have searched for it.

If your school doesn't offer co-op opportunity for "Engineering Management"; you still can manage a co-op all by yourself after consulting with your school/department. Some schools are cool with it if you arrange it yourself.
Hi Rossei

Its the University of Ottawa.

Cheers

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Dav1d0 said:
Hi Rossei

Its the University of Ottawa.

Cheers
I guess you were right. Co-op opportunities are only limited to following faculties of Uni of Ottawa for grad/post-doc students:

Computer Science (MCS)
Economics (MA)
Globalization and International Development (MA)
History (MA)
Information Studies (MIS)
Public Administration (MA)
Public and International Affairs (MA)

sujeeth

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Delhi chc
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 12th -2013
AOR Received.
june 13 th-2013
Med's Request
may 12th -2013
Med's Done....
may 13th-2013
Interview........
NO
VISA ISSUED...
june 25th
LANDED..........
aug 22
What about colleges ! you just mentioned about uni only ! does the same applicable for colleges ?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
sujeeth said:
What about colleges ! you just mentioned about uni only ! does the same applicable for colleges ?
I've spoken in general irrespective to universities or colleges. But since I know better about universities, my examples/references were around them. Anyway, you can choose specific college from CAFCE's search directory: http://cafce.ca/

Alternatively, you can refine your search by "co-op" from following site:
http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/FindProgram

The best would be for you to go to individual college website and search for co-op opportunity within your specific program.

FYI, Ontario's college ranking: http://www.collegesontario.org/outcomes/key-performance-indicators.html

MargaritaS

May 30, 2013
Hello Rossie, thank you for the info on Co-op. The co-op opportunity in my program is optional and not mandatory, and i am really interested in participating. Can i still apply for a co-op permit even though its an optional requirement in my program. I am confused about this because the cic.gc website states that co-op has to be an essential part of your study and a requirement for my degree.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
MargaritaS said:
Hello Rossie, thank you for the info on Co-op. The co-op opportunity in my program is optional and not mandatory, and i am really interested in participating. Can i still apply for a co-op permit even though its an optional requirement in my program. I am confused about this because the cic.gc website states that co-op has to be an essential part of your study and a requirement for my degree.
Hey MargaritaS,

I think you can still apply for co-op WP. I'm assuming you're already in your program in Canada, so talk to Int'l Student Centre/Adviser. CIC will mainly depend on the letter from your school. Co-op in my program wasn't mandatory either.

Good luck!

Anil K

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
I m going to do post secondary advanced diploma in centennial college. (i.e I completed my 12th)

I m very much interested in co-op. and also the course which i selected has co-op option

but when I applied for it the university representative said that they have cancelled giving co-op admissions in the beginning of the course and they said me that I need to attend a test in the college after going there and if I qualify in it I can do co-op work term.

Is it true that we cant apply for co-op frm here and we should write a test (if yes, when will the test be conducted is it easy to qualify or not?)

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Anil K said:
hi,
I m going to do post secondary advanced diploma in centennial college. (i.e I completed my 12th)

I m very much interested in co-op. and also the course which i selected has co-op option

but when I applied for it the university representative said that they have cancelled giving co-op admissions in the beginning of the course and they said me that I need to attend a test in the college after going there and if I qualify in it I can do co-op work term.

Is it true that we cant apply for co-op frm here and we should write a test (if yes, when will the test be conducted is it easy to qualify or not?)
There are 'yes' and 'yes'. You normally can enroll into co-op right from admission; but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be in co-op program. In my case at Uni of Windsor, you have to have a certain GPA in your first 2 semesters and pass an interview (there wasn't any written test). Overall, getting into co-op program isn't difficult unless your discipline has limited co-op opportunities; it's rather hard to get a co-op job.