Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I've been an engineering co-op student in Ontario, had 4 terms with different companies and finally secured full-time permanent job with one of them during my final year of study. From my story, you can learn the importance of CO-OP if you want to settle in Canada in future. Co-op program is mostly common among undergrad students in either college or university, but very limited for post-graduates.

Definition
Co-operative education program (in short “co-op”) is a structured method of combining classroom teaching with practical work experience. It's a 3-way partnership program among the student, employer and educational institution. In general terms, students, from secondary to post-secondary levels, who are enrolled in co-op program of their respective school, will allow themselves to work (paid) with different employers in their off-term of study.

Regulations:
The national standards of co-op program is set and promoted by Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE). Each co-op position, its role, accountability and salary need to be approved by CAFCE. One can know more about co-op, each Canadian university with its co-op options from its website (using Co-op Program Directory search from right column of the web). CAFCE: http://www.cafce.ca/en/home

Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat sets terms and conditions applied to any student employment including co-op.
Canadian Treasury Board: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=12583&section=text#appA

How It Works:
Most colleges and universities in Canada would have co-op program. It's available in either optional or mandatory basis depending on your discipline and school. Co-op options are pretty common among engineering, applied science, science & business discipline; but it can also be available in a wide range of programs of study.

Either you enrol into the program from the time of your student application or you can do it later after joining your university. Unless it's a course compulsory, generally, students have to hold certain GPA (i.e. 3 out of 4), pass interview and/or any other requirements in order to enrol into co-op program.

Most universities have their own career office. Normally, different companies would post job openings through your school/career office Web-based application. You would upload your resume, cover letter, transcript etc. as requested by the employer that you choose to apply. If your co-op term starts in Summer, you would apply for jobs in prior Fall/Winter study term and secure a placement by that term. Note that, you would not only compete with your fellow classmates for a job but also with every other co-op student from different universities of Canada (not province specific) where the employer had posted this job. There are few rounds of job posting during a study term in which number of openings start to decrease from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd significantly.

Co-op job competition is just like any other in regular job market. Once you get short-listed by any employer for a specific job, you would be called upon for an interview set either at company location or at your school. If they like you to hire, they will contact you directly or via your school afterwards. Since you're an international student; your school would help you to get your Work Permit before/after securing a co-op job placement.

Co-op terms are also evaluated by both your employer (during your co-op term) and your school (when you come back to school in the following study term) though co-op report, presentation, interview, survey etc.

Co-op Fees:
Once you're enrolled into your school's co-op program, you have to pay a certain fees ($400-$700) for each study and co-op term you'll have onward towards your degree.

Length of Co-op Term:
Co-op is normally 4 month long, but it can be extended up to 8, 12 or 16 months. Some companies would only hire co-op/interns for only longer terms. Moreover, some jobs require longer term involvements. If your school doesn't have that many co-op terms (regular is 4 terms); you may choose to go for longer term co-op. But in the case, you would miss a year of study and will have to continue after you come back. Generally, students who are interested in longer terms, choose to do that during their 3rd/4th year of study for increase in chances of getting hired permanently upon graduation and salary.

University of Ottawa have put these together in their FAQ's:
http://www.coop.uottawa.ca/en/en-employer/en-emp-faq.asp

Benefits for a Student:
• Opportunity to work in a real company, apply theoretical knowledge and learn industrial tools-standards-procedures
• Exposure to potential employers, current job market and real-world job competition
• Handsome remuneration which could take lot of pressure out from paying high Int'l Students' tuition fees
• Active participation in various classes, workshops, presentations for resume help, job search, interview tips etc. conducted by University Career Centre.
• Job aids and training from employer
• Chance to see new cities/provinces by relocating with your employer
• Opportunity to make new contacts/links for future endeavor
• Experienced gathered through co-op terms would finally secure a job upon graduation either in same company you worked and dazzled or any other in same business area
• Continuous 12-month long co-op terms may be valued in proving job experience for Permanent Residency in Canada. If it doesn't; it will do eventually by getting you a job after you graduate.

Wages:
Here is the table of minimum student wages set by Canadian Treasury Board:

Effective January 1, 2013

Academic LevelsStep 1Step 2Step 3Step 4Step 5Step 6Step 7Step 8
College/CEGEP Pre-University$12.08$12.79$13.56$14.38$15.27$16.17NANA
University Under-graduate$12.58$13.48$14.40$15.40$16.47$17.66$18.86$20.21
Master's$17.66$19.05$20.58$22.21NANANANA
Doctorate$20.39$22.22$24.23NANANANANA

Source: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/lrco-rtor/collective/lru-mnc/student-etudiants-eng.asp

Benefits for an Employer:
• Co-op students are an ideal source of manpower to fill temporary human resource needs during staff leaves or for short-term projects
• Co-op programs offer year-round access to schools employing co-op students that can reduce future recruiting costs
• When a student works for consecutive terms/longer time for an employer, he/she would most likely to be hired by that same employer upon graduation as he/she had training, learned specific process and accomplished required task/project successfully (compared to a totally new grad who would need to be trained and taught thoroughly)
• Tax refund benefits for employing co-op students in Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec

Few Tips for Int'l Students:
• By hook or crook, get into co-op program if you're interested in settling down in Canada permanently
• Co-op isn't a right, it's a privilege. By enrolling yourself into co-op will not fetch you a job, you have to get it
• 1st year co-op placement is usually very hard. You can do international placement (in your own country) by your school's permission if you weren't successful in securing a placement. After the 1st placement, it gets comparatively easier for later years
• General Resume Help: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/resume-format-please-to-apply-job-in-canada-t130658.0.html;msg2007398#msg2007398
• Engineering Student Resume Format: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/student-resume-t95920.0.html;msg1273016#msg1273016
• Interview Tips: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/top-10-interview-tips-for-job-t76984.0.html

Co-op Program - Universities of Ontario (links provided):
University of Toronto
Ryerson University
York University
University of Ottawa
Carleton University
Queen's University
McMaster University
Brock University
University of Guelph
University of Waterloo (Known for the best engineering co-op program)
Wilfrid Laurier University
University of Western Ontario
University of Windsor
Lakehead University
Algoma University
University of Ontario Institute of Technology

Note: For your chosen college/university of a particular province; please visit http://www.cafce.ca/en/home and select accordingly in their directory search. I would also recommend to go to specific university/college website and search "co-op" for more updated info.

tiger007

Champion Member
Rossei said:
I've been an engineering co-op student in Ontario, had 4 terms with different companies and finally secured full-time permanent job with one of them during my final year of study. From my story, you can learn the importance of CO-OP if you want to settle in Canada in future. Co-op program is mostly common among undergrad students in either college or university, but very limited for post-graduates.

Definition
Co-operative education program (in short “co-op”) is a structured method of combining classroom teaching with practical work experience. It's a 3-way partnership program among the student, employer and educational institution. In general terms, students, from secondary to post-secondary levels, who are enrolled in co-op program of their respective school, will allow themselves to work (paid) with different employers in their off-term of study.

Regulations:
The national standards of co-op program is set and promoted by Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE). Each co-op position, its role, accountability and salary need to be approved by CAFCE. One can know more about co-op, each Canadian university with its co-op options from its website (using Co-op Program Directory search from right column of the web). CAFCE: http://www.cafce.ca/en/home

Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat sets terms and conditions applied to any student employment including co-op.
Canadian Treasury Board: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=12583&section=text#appA

How It Works:
Most colleges and universities in Canada would have co-op program. It's available in either optional or mandatory basis depending on your discipline and school. Co-op options are pretty common among engineering, applied science, science & business discipline; but it can also be available in a wide range of programs of study.

Either you enrol into the program from the time of your student application or you can do it later after joining your university. Unless it's a course compulsory, generally, students have to hold certain GPA (i.e. 3 out of 4), pass interview and/or any other requirements in order to enrol into co-op program.

Most universities have their own career office. Normally, different companies would post job openings through your school/career office Web-based application. You would upload your resume, cover letter, transcript etc. as requested by the employer that you choose to apply. If your co-op term starts in Summer, you would apply for jobs in prior Fall/Winter study term and secure a placement by that term. Note that, you would not only compete with your fellow classmates for a job but also with every other co-op student from different universities of Canada (not province specific) where the employer had posted this job. There are few rounds of job posting during a study term in which number of openings start to decrease from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd significantly.

Co-op job competition is just like any other in regular job market. Once you get short-listed by any employer for a specific job, you would be called upon for an interview set either at company location or at your school. If they like you to hire, they will contact you directly or via your school afterwards. Since you're an international student; your school would help you to get your Work Permit before/after securing a co-op job placement.

Co-op terms are also evaluated by both your employer (during your co-op term) and your school (when you come back to school in the following study term) though co-op report, presentation, interview, survey etc.

Co-op Fees:
Once you're enrolled into your school's co-op program, you have to pay a certain fees ($400-$700) for each study and co-op term you'll have onward towards your degree.

Length of Co-op Term:
Co-op is normally 4 month long, but it can be extended up to 8, 12 or 16 months. Some companies would only hire co-op/interns for only longer terms. Moreover, some jobs require longer term involvements. If your school doesn't have that many co-op terms (regular is 4 terms); you may choose to go for longer term co-op. But in the case, you would miss a year of study and will have to continue after you come back. Generally, students who are interested in longer terms, choose to do that during their 3rd/4th year of study for increase in chances of getting hired permanently upon graduation and salary.

University of Ottawa have put these together in their FAQ's:
http://www.coop.uottawa.ca/en/en-employer/en-emp-faq.asp

Benefits for a Student:
• Opportunity to work in a real company, apply theoretical knowledge and learn industrial tools-standards-procedures
• Exposure to potential employers, current job market and real-world job competition
• Handsome remuneration which could take lot of pressure out from paying high Int'l Students' tuition fees
• Active participation in various classes, workshops, presentations for resume help, job search, interview tips etc. conducted by University Career Centre.
• Job aids and training from employer
• Chance to see new cities/provinces by relocating with your employer
• Opportunity to make new contacts/links for future endeavor
• Experienced gathered through co-op terms would finally secure a job upon graduation either in same company you worked and dazzled or any other in same business area
• Continuous 12-month long co-op terms may be valued in proving job experience for Permanent Residency in Canada. If it doesn't; it will do eventually by getting you a job after you graduate.

Wages:
Here is the table of minimum student wages set by Canadian Treasury Board:

Effective January 1, 2013

Academic LevelsStep 1Step 2Step 3Step 4Step 5Step 6Step 7Step 8
College/CEGEP Pre-University$12.08$12.79$13.56$14.38$15.27$16.17NANA
University Under-graduate$12.58$13.48$14.40$15.40$16.47$17.66$18.86$20.21
Master's$17.66$19.05$20.58$22.21NANANANA
Doctorate$20.39$22.22$24.23NANANANANA

Source: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/lrco-rtor/collective/lru-mnc/student-etudiants-eng.asp

Benefits for an Employer:
• Co-op students are an ideal source of manpower to fill temporary human resource needs during staff leaves or for short-term projects
• Co-op programs offer year-round access to schools employing co-op students that can reduce future recruiting costs
• When a student works for consecutive terms/longer time for an employer, he/she would most likely to be hired by that same employer upon graduation as he/she had training, learned specific process and accomplished required task/project successfully (compared to a totally new grad who would need to be trained and taught thoroughly)
• Tax refund benefits for employing co-op students in Ontario, Manitoba and Quebec

Few Tips for Int'l Students:
• By hook or crook, get into co-op program if you're interested in settling down in Canada permanently
• Co-op isn't a right, it's a privilege. By enrolling yourself into co-op will not fetch you a job, you have to get it
• 1st year co-op placement is usually very hard. You can do international placement (in your own country) by your school's permission if you weren't successful in securing a placement. After the 1st placement, it gets comparatively easier for later years
• General Resume Help: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/resume-format-please-to-apply-job-in-canada-t130658.0.html;msg2007398#msg2007398
• Engineering Student Resume Format: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/student-resume-t95920.0.html;msg1273016#msg1273016
• Interview Tips: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/top-10-interview-tips-for-job-t76984.0.html

Co-op Program - Universities of Ontario (links provided):
University of Toronto
Ryerson University
York University
University of Ottawa
Carleton University
Queen's University
McMaster University
Brock University
University of Guelph
University of Waterloo (Known for the best engineering co-op program)
Wilfrid Laurier University
University of Western Ontario
University of Windsor
Lakehead University
Algoma University
University of Ontario Institute of Technology

Note: For your chosen college/university of a particular province; please visit http://www.cafce.ca/en/home and select accordingly in their directory search. I would also recommend to go to specific university/college website and search "co-op" for more updated info.

+1

dash-E

Jan 24, 2013
I'm applying to St Lawrence College for 'Culinary management co-op apprenticeship' diploma program for 2 years.
Co-op: An Academic Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum.
Now I've heard from many different places that in order to apply for a study permit for a Co-op program, one should also apply for
a work permit before leaving canada.
and at the CIC website, it is stated that,
'Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.'
but when i download the application package from the CIC website,
it says:
'This application is for students who are already in Canada and who wish to apply for a work permit in one or more of the following programs:

Off-campus work permit program;
Co-op work program;
Post-graduation work employment program'
Now, I'm really confused as for what to do about it.
Should I apply for a Study Permit alone or apply for study/work permit at the same time before leaving from my country.
And will applying for a Co-op program make my case weaker or create some hurdles in my visa process?
Experts, please reply i'm counting on you guys here.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

dash-E said:
I'm applying to St Lawrence College for 'Culinary management co-op apprenticeship' diploma program for 2 years.
Now I've heard from many different places that in order to apply for a study permit for a Co-op program, one should also apply for
'Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.'
it says:
'This application is for students who are already in Canada and who wish to apply for a work permit in one or more of the following programs:

Co-op work program;
Should I apply for a Study Permit alone or apply for study/work permit at the same time before leaving from my country.
And will applying for a Co-op program make my case weaker or create some hurdles in my visa process?

1. You will have to apply only for TRV; you will get SP + Co-Op Work Permit at the Port, Canada.

Reactions: qaplaza

Tedd

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Can someone suggest which are the Co-op college or university for a course like Global Business Management or Business Project management

Mail2kriti

Jan 26, 2013
Tedd I have the same question if anyone can answer for me! I am planning for global business management may 2013 just wanted to know if co-op option available for this course n in which college?

sqazi

Dec 18, 2012
tiger007 said:
i got study permit mid of JAN-2013
at the same time my spouse (husband) applied for TRV so refuse 1) purspose of visit 2 lenght of stay ) same time period as my study duration for 2 years so now my husband applied again trv duration for 2 month single entry to settle down me durning intialy days and come back , he has sponsor letter aproved two month vacation and hotel and air tkt we attached cad $40000 house tendency agreement in dubai we attached all support document please tell us wat are our chances for single entry for TRV two month
so please tell me wat are our chances to get trv for 2 month, and my spouse is intention only for settle and he back and join his work here in uae please advice

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
dash-E said:

it says:

Co-op work program;
In my case, I applied for co-op work permit after getting here at school. Our co-op was optional and I had very little clue about it. So, when I enrolled myself in, my university career centre issued a supporting letter with which I crossed border and got my CO-OP W/P.

Answering to your confusion among all W/P; CO-OP W/P is normally given with your university name imprinted on the W/P and up to your degree duration. You cannot just randomly work off-campus with this permit. For that, you would need OFF-CAMPUS W/P which is limited to 20 hours/wk. PGWP is only given to int'l graduates (up to 3 years).

Now, I would suggest you not to apply for W/P from your home country. You will either get the W/P on POE as enfield said (which I'm not aware of) or after joining your school. Write an email to your school to confirm this.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Rossei said:
In my case, I applied for co-op work permit after getting here at school. Our co-op was optional and I had very little clue about it. So, when I enrolled myself in, my university career centre issued a supporting letter with which I crossed border and got my CO-OP W/P.

Answering to your confusion among all W/P; CO-OP W/P is normally given with your university name imprinted on the W/P and up to your degree duration. You cannot just randomly work off-campus with this permit. For that, you would need OFF-CAMPUS W/P which is limited to 20 hours/wk. PGWP is only given to int'l graduates (up to 3 years).

Now, I would suggest you not to apply for W/P from your home country. You will either get the W/P on POE as enfield said (which I'm not aware of) or after joining your school. Write an email to your school to confirm this.

1. From your home country, you apply for TRV based on your LOA. You get SP at port.
2. If your LOA states about Co-Op, you get it at port along with your SP, otherwise if Co-Op is a part of last semester, you will have to apply for it separately.

shareit

Star Member
Aug 10, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May 2013
Thank you. That was a pretty informative post.

Quick question: Are co-op committal programs? Most people will continue to apply for jobs in their fields even while being in a co-op program. What if they get a job offer? Can they quit the program (immediately?) and proceed to the new job?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
shareit said:
Thank you. That was a pretty informative post.

Quick question: Are co-op committal programs? Most people will continue to apply for jobs in their fields even while being in a co-op program. What if they get a job offer? Can they quit the program (immediately?) and proceed to the new job?
I didn't understand you thoroughly nevertheless I would try to clarify.

It may vary from school to school; but if you can't secure a placement for 2 consecutive work terms, you will automatically terminated from your school's co-op program. For example, my school had the rule of completing at least 3 out of 4 co-op work terms. If someone couldn't secure a placement in both 1st and 2nd year/co-op; he cannot fulfill the requirements of the 3 out of 4 and hence be out of the program. Now, school requires more (co-op report, presentation upon completion etc.) from a co-op student. If you fail to do so, you may not successfully pass the co-op program but still can graduate and work full-time. You can opt out of the program on your will if co-op has been optional with your discipline of study.

But it's committal once you get a placement through your school's co-op program. Co-op terms are completed even before your last semester at school. So, I didn't understand how one can proceed with a permanent job while being at school. If you already started working for a company as a co-op; you cannot leave it just for getting a preferred job. Moreover, co-op jobs are created based on study term completion in schools. Therefore, their deadlines are short.

shareit

Star Member
Aug 10, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May 2013
Thanks for the detailed response.

Here is what I was thinking and I could be totally wrong:

Coops are volunteer work opportunities to gain 'Canadian Exp'. I have 10+ years of exp in my field of study/work but none of it would be 'Canadian exp'. I plan to join a coop just for that. Now, I would also be applying for jobs in my field, based upon my past non-Canadian experience.

What if, after the first 2 weeks of attending the coop school, I get an offer from an employer who wants to hire me for my past experience? Can I quit the program on my choice?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
shareit said:
Thanks for the detailed response.

Here is what I was thinking and I could be totally wrong:

Coops are volunteer work opportunities to gain 'Canadian Exp'. I have 10+ years of exp in my field of study/work but none of it would be 'Canadian exp'. I plan to join a coop just for that. Now, I would also be applying for jobs in my field, based upon my past non-Canadian experience.

What if, after the first 2 weeks of attending the coop school, I get an offer from an employer who wants to hire me for my past experience? Can I quit the program on my choice?
I see it now.

Well, you get admission into either a college or a university for an undergrad/PG program in order to take co-op opportunity. There is no specialized school just for "work" / co-op. Co-op terms are meant to go with study terms at school.

So, if you get a job while studying, would you leave/drop out? If you want, you can for sure. That will answer the rest.

JainaFel

Feb 10, 2013
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
29-04-2013
Thanks Rossei, that was a very informative post.

So co-op terms are separate from study terms? Like you don't have to attend formal classes if that particular term is focused on co-op?

Also, about the student wages, I am not sure what the Steps 1-8 mean.