AOR Received.
23-06-2016
File Transfer...
28-07-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and my niece and nephew, who both study in Finland, are interested in coming to Canada for a short-term (1-2 months) unpaid internship.

The other one is 18 years old, studies media production and is looking for an internship in different production companies (theaters, news) or companies in need of multimedia products. The school runs an international program which includes paying all the costs of the internship (fees, travel etc.).

The other one is 16 years old, studies to be a practical nurse but focuses on early development and is looking for an internship in daycares. The school runs an international program but only in EU countries.

I know that this questions gets asked a lot, but I wanted to make sure I have the latest information on this. Can a person come and do a short-term internship in Canada without a work permit or LMIA? I've been mainly focusing on reading this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/unique-situations/interns.html, but there are so many exemptions that I want to make sure I don't miss any, so I want to hear from the good people of this forum.
Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and my niece and nephew, who both study in Finland, are interested in coming to Canada for a short-term (1-2 months) unpaid internship.

The other one is 18 years old, studies media production and is looking for an internship in different production companies (theaters, news) or companies in need of multimedia products. The school runs an international program which includes paying all the costs of the internship (fees, travel etc.).

The other one is 16 years old, studies to be a practical nurse but focuses on early development and is looking for an internship in daycares. The school runs an international program but only in EU countries.

I know that this questions gets asked a lot, but I wanted to make sure I have the latest information on this. Can a person come and do a short-term internship in Canada without a work permit or LMIA? I've been mainly focusing on reading this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/unique-situations/interns.html, but there are so many exemptions that I want to make sure I don't miss any, so I want to hear from the good people of this forum.
Thank you!
Based on the information you've provided, I don't believe they fall under any of the exemptions. This means an LMIA and work permit would be required.

Normally I would recommend the IEC program (at least for the 18 year old). But I don't believe Finland participates in this program.

FiveO

Star Member
Nov 6, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
03-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
File Transfer...
28-07-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Based on the information you've provided, I don't believe they fall under any of the exemptions. This means an LMIA and work permit would be required.

Normally I would recommend the IEC program (at least for the 18 year old). But I don't believe Finland participates in this program.
That's what I thought. It might be obvious from the ages of the kids, but they study in vocational schools (instead of college etc.), if that makes any difference (not high enough level perhaps to steal anyone's job...).

You're right, Finland doesn't have the IEC program with Canada. Based on the information, would you think trying to get LMIA and work permit is feasible. Or basically not worth it?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's what I thought. It might be obvious from the ages of the kids, but they study in vocational schools (instead of college etc.), if that makes any difference (not high enough level perhaps to steal anyone's job...).

You're right, Finland doesn't have the IEC program with Canada. Based on the information, would you think trying to get LMIA and work permit is feasible. Or basically not worth it?

Thank you!
I can't imagine the employer is going to be willing to go through the LMIA process for internships that are just a few months long. The LMIA process is a long, involved, and expensive process for the employer and requires them to prove no Canadian could be hired for the role.

If the employer is willing to try and spend the $1K on fees + additional money on the advertising required, then I guess you can try. But I would be prepared for a significant possibility the LMIA is going to be refused. IMO it's not worth it but up to you of course.

They need to both have a strong back up plan.

FiveO

Star Member
Nov 6, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
03-06-2016
AOR Received.
23-06-2016
File Transfer...