+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inquiry about seeking asylum due to prosecution

DannyDarwich

Dec 9, 2023
I am a syrian citizen but have never lived in syria and have not been in syria since 2010.
me and my family live in Saudi Arabia which has a sponsorship program which means if you are not under a company or individuals sponsorship you are not allowed to stay in the country.

My father recently was forced to retire which would force him out of Saudi Arabia. fearing the return to syria where we will face harsh economic hardships due the war and fear for our lives due to the war my parents and my sister applied to a US visa and crossed the border to canada where they have claimed asylum.

During that time I was studying in Malaysia for a degree in medical Biotechnology and I graduated with a first class honours degree. I was planning to do my masters and work my way up the ladder to be able to professionally legally immigrate to canada to support my old age parents and my young sister.

Unfortunately my visa was rejected to continue my studies in Malaysia and I had to leave to Saudi Arabia where my PR had 3 months before expiring because my parents were no longer there and I had to find a job to keep my PR or get deported to Syria.

I can not go to syria as I am wanted for "faking a passport" when in reality it is because the person in charge of my passport renewal in syria (as the embassies are closed all over the world) did not get bribed enough so he did not authenticate my passport which caused me a lot of trouble including my passport only being renewed for periods of 2 years despite me paying the military exemption fee of 8000 USD.

Due to these circumstances I have been forced into a below minimum wage job here in Saudi Arabia even with my high credentials and double degree from a British Universities and I am not able to move up the ladder in my career as most employers here know the plight of Syrians therefore taking advantage and giving low salaries as an ultimatum for not going back to syria where prosecution is inevitable.

My question is how do I get to canada to settle and help my parents and pursue my career? is getting a US visa and seeking asylum for canada a viable option or will it get rejected due to my parents seeking asylum?

Eager for your replies as I have a short period of less than 6 months to leave and I have to start applying right now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a syrian citizen but have never lived in syria and have not been in syria since 2010.
me and my family live in Saudi Arabia which has a sponsorship program which means if you are not under a company or individuals sponsorship you are not allowed to stay in the country.

My father recently was forced to retire which would force him out of Saudi Arabia. fearing the return to syria where we will face harsh economic hardships due the war and fear for our lives due to the war my parents and my sister applied to a US visa and crossed the border to canada where they have claimed asylum.

During that time I was studying in Malaysia for a degree in medical Biotechnology and I graduated with a first class honours degree. I was planning to do my masters and work my way up the ladder to be able to professionally legally immigrate to canada to support my old age parents and my young sister.

Unfortunately my visa was rejected to continue my studies in Malaysia and I had to leave to Saudi Arabia where my PR had 3 months before expiring because my parents were no longer there and I had to find a job to keep my PR or get deported to Syria.

I can not go to syria as I am wanted for "faking a passport" when in reality it is because the person in charge of my passport renewal in syria (as the embassies are closed all over the world) did not get bribed enough so he did not authenticate my passport which caused me a lot of trouble including my passport only being renewed for periods of 2 years despite me paying the military exemption fee of 8000 USD.

Due to these circumstances I have been forced into a below minimum wage job here in Saudi Arabia even with my high credentials and double degree from a British Universities and I am not able to move up the ladder in my career as most employers here know the plight of Syrians therefore taking advantage and giving low salaries as an ultimatum for not going back to syria where prosecution is inevitable.

My question is how do I get to canada to settle and help my parents and pursue my career? is getting a US visa and seeking asylum for canada a viable option or will it get rejected due to my parents seeking asylum?

Eager for your replies as I have a short period of less than 6 months to leave and I have to start applying right now.
Getting a visa will likely be difficult to both the US and Canada. You should certainly try to get a TRV to enter Canada and if so you can file an asylum claim and see if you get approved. You like have a higher chance of approval than the rest of your family because of the charge against you. Have your parents and your sister received protected person status or have the only applied for asylum? They would need to be protected people for you to enter Canada through the US border.

DannyDarwich

Dec 9, 2023
Getting a visa will likely be difficult to both the US and Canada. Have your parents and your sister received protected person status or have the only applied for asylum?
They have gotten protected person status yes.

Do you recommend going through a masters program international student route instead of a visitor visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They have gotten protected person status yes.

Do you recommend going through a masters program international student route instead of a visitor visa?
the chances of getting any from of temporary permit or visas are pretty low. Would start right the TRV and see if you are denied. Would then attempt a visitor visa for the US and see if you get approved. Once family members claim asylum it becomes very difficult for family to get any form of temporary permits/visas out of fear that they will claim asylum as well. Canada shares immigration information with other countries like the US which can make getting a US visa difficult as well. The only option where having family members who have claimed asylum is not an issue is economic immigration programs (express entry).

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Getting a study permit in Canada will be very difficult given your family claimed asylum in Canada. IRCC will expect you to claim asylum to. You may want to look at Masters programs in the UK or Europe…not the US or Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

A visitor visa to Canada or the US is highly unlikely to be approved. However you can certainly try. The same applies for a study permit or work permit to Canada. Since your parents used a US visa to cross into Canada and claim asylum, that unfortunately pretty much guarantees that your application will be refused. But again, you can try.

Realistically you most likely option for coming to Canada is through an economic immigration program like Express Entry or PNP. You'll need to research these programs to determine if you qualify and have sufficient points to be selected. Express Entry, for example, is a points-based program which requires you to have at least one year of continuous skilled work experience. Right now you would need to have a score of over 500 points to be selected. For the PNP (provincial) programs, you often need to have a job offer in the province. The requirements for each province are somewhat different. Assuming you qualify, it will take quite a bit longer than six months to be selected and go through the process of submitting your full application and having that application processed. So you need to have a plan on where you will go after six months if you cannot remain where you are now.

Reactions: ref19to22

DannyDarwich

Dec 9, 2023
the chances of getting any from of temporary permit or visas are pretty low. Would start right the TRV and see if you are denied. Would then attempt a visitor visa for the US and see if you get approved. Once family members claim asylum it becomes very difficult for family to get any form of temporary permits/visas out of fear that they will claim asylum as well. Canada shares immigration information with other countries like the US which can make getting a US visa difficult as well. The only option where having family members who have claimed asylum is not an issue is economic immigration programs (express entry).
what’s the difference between a TRV and a visitor visa?

DannyDarwich

Dec 9, 2023
A visitor visa to Canada or the US is highly unlikely to be approved. However you can certainly try. The same applies for a study permit or work permit to Canada. Since your parents used a US visa to cross into Canada and claim asylum, that unfortunately pretty much guarantees that your application will be refused. But again, you can try.

Realistically you most likely option for coming to Canada is through an economic immigration program like Express Entry or PNP. You'll need to research these programs to determine if you qualify and have sufficient points to be selected. Express Entry, for example, is a points-based program which requires you to have at least one year of continuous skilled work experience. Right now you would need to have a score of over 500 points to be selected. For the PNP (provincial) programs, you often need to have a job offer in the province. The requirements for each province are somewhat different. Assuming you qualify, it will take quite a bit longer than six months to be selected and go through the process of submitting your full application and having that application processed. So you need to have a plan on where you will go after six months if you cannot remain where you are now.
thank you for your detailed reply i will be researching into that possibility

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hello Dany,

You are young, a university graduate in healthcare industry, with very good English language skills, your situation is ideal for a normal immigration stream.

My advice is to apply through Express Entry.

Don't waste time applying for a visitor visa which will most probably be rejected.

Go read about Express Entry, there are several immigration streams in Express entry that you can try. First read. Take you time. Maybe you can be in Canada within 1 years if everything goes well. The best thing is that you will receive your PR once your arrive at the airport in Canada.

You can try Express Entry, Provincial Nominee (almost every province in Canada has its own program)..

You don't need a lot of money..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Dany,

You are young, a university graduate in healthcare industry, with very good English language skills, your situation is ideal for a normal immigration stream.

My advice is to apply through Express Entry.

Don't waste time applying for a visitor visa which will most probably be rejected.

Go read about Express Entry, there are several immigration streams in Express entry that you can try. First read. Take you time. Maybe you can be in Canada within 1 years if everything goes well. The best thing is that you will receive your PR once your arrive at the airport in Canada.

You can try Express Entry, Provincial Nominee (almost every province in Canada has its own program)..

You don't need a lot of money..
They don’t work in healthcare more like scientific research. The big issue is without work history and only one degree it can be difficult to immigrate.

Reactions: Mancini