+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship - interview @ port of entry

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
What are you on about??

Stating an intention to apply for sponsorship does NOT make a person inadmissible.

Common-law relationships are NOT hard to prove. It is no different than a married app except submitting the proof of cohabitation.

Paying the fees ahead of time can most certainly changes things. It shows CBSA that a couple is serious about applying for PR and that they are following the process to legally live in Canada.
I wanted to ask about common-law and employment.

1. I have our common-law relationship attested by a notary in February 2017 in the UK. Is it going to be usable as a proof of our common-law for the purpose of inland sponsorship when I file in December/January?
2. I have no job so far as of yet. However I am a freelancer and have a contract signed with one agency. Is it going to pose any problems to my application?
3. Our medicals are good until midst of March 2018. Again, they have been done in the UK. Can I use them when I file my application before March 2018?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I wanted to ask about common-law and employment.

1. I have our common-law relationship attested by a notary in February 2017 in the UK. Is it going to be usable as a proof of our common-law for the purpose of inland sponsorship when I file in December/January?
2. I have no job so far as of yet. However I am a freelancer and have a contract signed with one agency. Is it going to pose any problems to my application?
3. Our medicals are good until midst of March 2018. Again, they have been done in the UK. Can I use them when I file my application before March 2018?
1. Doesn't really count for anything. IRCC wants to see actual proof that you cohabited for at least a year.

2. It won't be a problem as long as you can show how you will support yourselves in Canada without welfare.

3. You don't submit a medical. Your partner's medical is still valid, so you can submit it with the app.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
1. Doesn't really count for anything. IRCC wants to see actual proof that you cohabited for at least a year.

2. It won't be a problem as long as you can show how you will support yourselves in Canada without welfare.

3. You don't submit a medical. Your partner's medical is still valid, so you can submit it with the app.
Thank you. Few more points.

1. The document is attested based on rental agreements and mutual bills that we shared during 8 years of our relationship. What counts as an actual proof? Also, are they going to accept evidence from UK. We will be starting in Canada anew, so nothing to show really.
2. Is bank statement with savings going to be enough?
3. How many months is the evidence going to be acceptable for? For instance, if I have got bank statements or official letters that are up to 6 or even 12 months old.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. Few more points.

1. The document is attested based on rental agreements and mutual bills that we shared during 8 years of our relationship. What counts as an actual proof? Also, are they going to accept evidence from UK. We will be starting in Canada anew, so nothing to show really.
2. Is bank statement with savings going to be enough?
3. How many months is the evidence going to be acceptable for? For instance, if I have got bank statements or official letters that are up to 6 or even 12 months old.
1. The rental agreements and bills are the actual proofs. They will accept proofs from anywhere.

2. You also need to include a solid plan on how you will support yourselves.

3. Not really sure what you are asking. Of course you need to submit proof that are 12 months old, otherwise you can't prove you are common-law.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
1. The rental agreements and bills are the actual proofs. They will accept proofs from anywhere.

2. You also need to include a solid plan on how you will support yourselves.

3. Not really sure what you are asking. Of course you need to submit proof that are 12 months old, otherwise you can't prove you are common-law.
Thank you. What I meant was official documents like police checks etc. I have read somewhere that anything older than 90 days is considered invalid by IRCC.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. What I meant was official documents like police checks etc. I have read somewhere that anything older than 90 days is considered invalid by IRCC.
Don't read "somewhere". Read the IRCC website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:
  • are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
  • have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Don't read "somewhere". Read the IRCC website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:
  • are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
  • have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.
Thanks. I am just wondering about the timing. When I was applying through express entry earlier this year, I did get police certificates from the UK and from our home country. That was in March 2017. So according to the above stated requirements by IRCC, the police certificate from my partner's home country should be still usable for this purpose (she last lived there in 2004), but she would need a new police certificate from the UK? We will be leaving UK in November, and applying for INLAND sponsorship in December/January, so she would have lived in Canada for at least a month or two by the time the application is submitted.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks. I am just wondering about the timing. When I was applying through express entry earlier this year, I did get police certificates from the UK and from our home country. That was in March 2017. So according to the above stated requirements by IRCC, the police certificate from my partner's home country should be still usable for this purpose (she last lived there in 2004), but she would need a new police certificate from the UK? We will be leaving UK in November, and applying for INLAND sponsorship in December/January, so she would have lived in Canada for at least a month or two by the time the application is submitted.
That's right.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Yes with wife. No we queued separately. They just want to make sure you're not going to overstay, would be my main take-away.
Hi Will. I wanted to ask you about your place in Toronto. We will be coming to Toronto shortly with my partner and we are looking for a place to share with someone (preferably another couple). I am looking around, but its kind of hard long distance from UK. Anyways, would you be happy to share with us?

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hi Will. I wanted to ask you about your place in Toronto. We will be coming to Toronto shortly with my partner and we are looking for a place to share with someone (preferably another couple). I am looking around, but its kind of hard long distance from UK. Anyways, would you be happy to share with us?
Heya, we just arrived and are looking for an apartment at the moment. We are staying downtown for the next month in a 1 bed. Hopefully in this time we can find something we like. My wife doesn't want to be downtown / close to work, but I actually like it as a newcomer as we don't have a car yet and everyone is cycling and walking round, more European. For now I guess until the weather turns.
When are you planning on coming to Toronto? The agent told me that this is the end of busy season as people don't like moving over winter months. So less volume then, whether that's a good or bad thing not sure. Everyone says they're really full for rental. Toronto / Ontario (not familiar with politics yet) apparently changing rental rules is part of this, as previously earmarked rental apartments are being sold as condos instead.
We're probably not looking to share a flat. I'm going to be home a lot in the next 4 months, and friends and family hopefully to be visiting a fair bit over the next year. But as I figure it out I'll let you know any more background to the marlket here. f you're looking to share perhaps Kijiji or somewhere has listings. I'd probably book an airbnb for a few weeks when you arrive and figure it out on the ground.
Oh yeah, everything is unfurnished pretty much.
Good luck with your search
Will

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Heya, we just arrived and are looking for an apartment at the moment. We are staying downtown for the next month in a 1 bed. Hopefully in this time we can find something we like. My wife doesn't want to be downtown / close to work, but I actually like it as a newcomer as we don't have a car yet and everyone is cycling and walking round, more European. For now I guess until the weather turns.
When are you planning on coming to Toronto? The agent told me that this is the end of busy season as people don't like moving over winter months. So less volume then, whether that's a good or bad thing not sure. Everyone says they're really full for rental. Toronto / Ontario (not familiar with politics yet) apparently changing rental rules is part of this, as previously earmarked rental apartments are being sold as condos instead.
We're probably not looking to share a flat. I'm going to be home a lot in the next 4 months, and friends and family hopefully to be visiting a fair bit over the next year. But as I figure it out I'll let you know any more background to the marlket here. f you're looking to share perhaps Kijiji or somewhere has listings. I'd probably book an airbnb for a few weeks when you arrive and figure it out on the ground.
Oh yeah, everything is unfurnished pretty much.
Good luck with your search
Will
Hey Will

I am thinking about mid November, or mid January. As I have said, I just returned from Toronto 3 weeks ago and know its tough looking for a place. Will have to decide in next few days, but January can be bitterly cold over there so I am not very keen on waiting until then. Either way I will let you know, please keep me posted. Hopefully we can stay in touch. All the best Will.
Pete

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
I assume so as no stamp... I said 90 days as I have a return ticket for UK at xmas
Forgot to ask you about travel and health insurance. Did you get any of those? Were you asked by the CBSA officer about your coverage? Do you know whether you are expected to have it purchased and present it before entering as a visitor?

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Hey Will

I am thinking about mid November, or mid January. As I have said, I just returned from Toronto 3 weeks ago and know its tough looking for a place. Will have to decide in next few days, but January can be bitterly cold over there so I am not very keen on waiting until then. Either way I will let you know, please keep me posted. Hopefully we can stay in touch. All the best Will.
Pete
Yeah definitely up for grabbing a beer when you're around. If you were here you'll know far more than me for sure! Trying to sort out car insurance atm which is expensive for newcomers it seems.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Forgot to ask you about travel and health insurance. Did you get any of those? Were you asked by the CBSA officer about your coverage? Do you know whether you are expected to have it purchased and present it before entering as a visitor?
I took out travel insurance because I won't have health cover. Even my wife has to wait 3 months before Ontario will offer her the state cover. My decision had nothing to do with immigration.

I went with an Asda policy which covers you for up to 90 days per visit. I'm back at xmas so this should cover me in two chunks up until March hopefully. It was their more expensive policy - the basic one was 30 days and not N America or something, so read the small print.

With CBSA I'd say just be cool. It's a nervous time because so much rests on them letting you in, but it's a computer touch screen you're interacting with mostly. I was sent to a desk because I put 90 days as stay length. If you have a return ticket for 3 weeks and put 21 days into the computer I'd bet you wouldn't even have any interaction with CBSA, you'd be waved through.

What passport does your partner hold?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
With CBSA I'd say just be cool. It's a nervous time because so much rests on them letting you in, but it's a computer touch screen you're interacting with mostly. I was sent to a desk because I put 90 days as stay length. If you have a return ticket for 3 weeks and put 21 days into the computer I'd bet you wouldn't even have any interaction with CBSA, you'd be waved through.
As a visitor, you will only have the Kiosk at a limited number of Airports and terminals. Currently, only the following locations have the so-called "Primary Inspection Kiosks:"
  • Ottawa International Airport – YOW
  • Vancouver International Airport – YVR
  • Terminal 3, Toronto Pearson International Airport – YYZ
  • Edmonton International Airport – YEG
Source: CBSA

Visitors landing at Terminal 1 at Toronto Pearson (includes Air Canada) do not (yet) have access to the kiosks and will have to be assessed and speak to an officer regardless! As for the process with the PIKs I don't have any personal experience.

Last edited: