+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland sponsorship - interview @ port of entry

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
I took out travel insurance because I won't have health cover. Even my wife has to wait 3 months before Ontario will offer her the state cover. My decision had nothing to do with immigration.

I went with an Asda policy which covers you for up to 90 days per visit. I'm back at xmas so this should cover me in two chunks up until March hopefully. It was their more expensive policy - the basic one was 30 days and not N America or something, so read the small print.

With CBSA I'd say just be cool. It's a nervous time because so much rests on them letting you in, but it's a computer touch screen you're interacting with mostly. I was sent to a desk because I put 90 days as stay length. If you have a return ticket for 3 weeks and put 21 days into the computer I'd bet you wouldn't even have any interaction with CBSA, you'd be waved through.

What passport does your partner hold?
She has got an EU passport. When it comes to the return ticket we would most likely book a return in 6 months.

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Also wanted to ask you how long did it take you to prepare your inland application?
A while I guess. I've been doing a lot of other stuff besides. Good to start it as soon as you can as the evidence part can be built up better once it's top of mind to find things suitable.

I'll hopefully submit tomorrow or Wednesday. I bought a printer from BestBuy this morning so there's nothing holding me back!

I found a good photographer if you need PR photos downtown.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
A while I guess. I've been doing a lot of other stuff besides. Good to start it as soon as you can as the evidence part can be built up better once it's top of mind to find things suitable.

I'll hopefully submit tomorrow or Wednesday. I bought a printer from BestBuy this morning so there's nothing holding me back!

Thanks Will. I started to put things together, but dont know whether a month will suffice. In your case how long you would say? 2-3 months?

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Thanks Will. I started to put things together, but dont know whether a month will suffice. In your case how long you would say? 2-3 months?
Yeah a month is ok. I couldn't submit until I arrived and had current condo lease, etc, as my evidence bit weak on joint property otherwise. You could do the form filling in a day or two (but boring!), it's mostly going through and checking again and again.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
I enter YUL last month with my husband who is a Canadian citizen, and I’m on visitor visa. We both lined up on citizen/pr line.
Immigration asked whats the purpose of our visit, while for him is back to his home country and me on the other hand honestly told the officer that I am moving here and applying PR inland. He didn’t make a big deal out of this and told me to go to Secondary Check because we brought money more than 10,000$ and a dog.

On the secondary check, officer was not sure if I can get my PR in less than 6 months and he cannot make a decision so he ask another officer to check us up. Just a few questions such as:
- have you applied?
- do you know the procedure of applying pr, have you done any research ?
- do you know that you cannot work or study while on visitor visa?
- how much money do you have right now? and where’s the money came from? (take notE that he asked me this because i brought more than 10,000$ which i declare)
- do you have any travel insurance with you right now?
- where will you settle in canada? Which province?
- do you have your pr application with you right now?

I know that I will need proof so I came prepared and bring all the complete application including the fee payment for PR as well as pictures etc. I also explained the reason why I ended up want to apply inland and have not submit it yet as I was waiting for my apartment lease to be approved. My husband too explain the situation and the officer came to a conclusion that we’re not fooling around and that we are serious about this so he let us go and said not to wait 6 months to submit my application. He said he rarely receives this kind of case, like applyin PR inland.

Anyways as long as youre prepared and get everything together, there is no reason for them to deny entry for a visitor who's married to a citizen and plan to apply PR inland.
Btw, I always go through the canadian passport or pr line with my husband, not a problem.
Hi there. Have you sent your application yet? I am putting mine together and would like to share some insights with someone going through the same.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
As far as the return date shows that your partner is leaving within 6 months you guys should be ok.
Does it change anything if I book a return flight for her in lets say 3 or 4 months time rather than 6 months? Is her length of stay going to be determined by the return ticket or is she going to get 6 months automatically?

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017

Hi Will. Would you like to exchange emails? I would like to share some of the docs/supporting files for the application if you would...

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
That's right.
I would like to ask you about the return ticket for my partner. Does it change anything if I book a return flight for her in lets say 3 or 4 months time rather than 6 months? Is her length of stay going to be determined by the return ticket or is she going to get 6 months automatically?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would like to ask you about the return ticket for my partner. Does it change anything if I book a return flight for her in lets say 3 or 4 months time rather than 6 months? Is her length of stay going to be determined by the return ticket or is she going to get 6 months automatically?
CBSA generally just grants 6 months. They don't usually to limit stays as per the return ticket.

petrikbb

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
CBSA generally just grants 6 months. They don't usually to limit stays as per the return ticket.
Thanks. My partner's medical expires in midst of March. If I get the application in, lets say midst February, is it going to be accepted? Is it the date of me submitting the application, or the IRCC's formal "application received" date that would apply in this instance?