May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
lellen said:
Yes exactly, you also need a Visa, it says the same thing on study and work permits. As long as you don't leave the States or St. Pierre, you're good.
I don't have experience with the visitor record, but I'm from a visa-exempt country, and still, once almost had some serious problem with the re-entry before my 6 months expired. The officer was very clear that I shouldn't leave Canada while my application is in process, after the "lesson" she gave me a visitor record, but repeated that I should leave.
Maybe it's different with an outland app.

Simkr said:
Hi sophieee, your visitor record is valid for how long? i am planning to apply that since i haven't heard back from CIC. In case of getting AOR, we still need apply for that?
I got it for 6 months. It's better to have legal status for the whole time of the application, otherwise you can have some problems.

jbaia

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
So, just to get this straight.. if my husband and I visit Niagara Falls, he cannot go across to the USA side even for the day while waiting for PR?

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Where can you see what docs they are currently opening and checking? I can only see the dates for ones they are processing. It now says July 19th, 2013 btw..

chakrab said:
July 16, 2013 are the ones being processed for AIP. they are just opening documents from february to check if they are complete and then filing them.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
I know we wouldn't risk it. You are still crossing the border and back. They don't have to let him back in.

jbaia said:
So, just to get this straight.. if my husband and I visit Niagara Falls, he cannot go across to the USA side even for the day while waiting for PR?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
KaZRa said:
I know we wouldn't risk it. You are still crossing the border and back. They don't have to let him back in.
Agree. I may risk it for some reasons, but definitely not for a day trip.

randhawa_a

Star Member
Mar 15, 2014
Guys i have one question. Right now im on student visa and i have study permit but its gonna expire in september 30.
What i have to do now to be safe. I just got aor few days ago.how i can get new visa to stay here. please answer me asap based on your experience. I wana apply for new visa in july.
Thanks,

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Ponga said:
I hope the CIC agent gave you correct information, since it's quite common to get conflicting information from CIC.

I was always under the impression that if a visitor left Canada, with or without a visitor record, they in essence have terminated their `visit'.

Have fun in Iowa!
The regulations actually do make an exception for visits to the US and St. Pierre and Miquelon, though it's never been clear to me how well practiced that exception is.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
randhawa_a said:
Guys i have one question. Right now im on student visa and i have study permit but its gonna expire in september 30.
What i have to do now to be safe. I just got aor few days ago.how i can get new visa to stay here. please answer me asap based on your experience. I wana apply for new visa in july.
Thanks,
If you need to show a new study permit, you will need to apply for one. This can be done online and you will need to be able to show evidence of funds and so forth. If you don't need to show the study permit to anyone, you should fill out a paper application to extend it and send it to CPC-M asking that it be added to your PR file (for processing once AIP has been granted).

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
Some good news from the 2013 thread:

bankerguy said:
Alright!!! they're really rolling.. a July 22nd applicant and a July 24th applicant have received some good news!
I'm loving this !!!
Hopefully this is true, and continues.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
computergeek said:
The regulations actually do make an exception for visits to the US and St. Pierre and Miquelon, though it's never been clear to me how well practiced that exception is.

I am from a country where you are not even allowed to get on a plane if you don't have a gigantic Visa in your passport for most of the countries in the world. I once got stuck there because I had a valid study permit but my Visa was expired (didn't know they were two different things). However, as a foreign worker here in Canada, I went to the States many times without a Visa and was allowed back in without problems. They always made sure I didn't leave the States though, and they asked me how long I was there for.

That's only my experience, I know it's different for everyone.

randhawa_a

Star Member
Mar 15, 2014
computergeek said:
If you need to show a new study permit, you will need to apply for one. This can be done online and you will need to be able to show evidence of funds and so forth. If you don't need to show the study permit to anyone, you should fill out a paper application to extend it and send it to CPC-M asking that it be added to your PR file (for processing once AIP has been granted).
i dnt need study permit.. but is that possible that i can get visitor visa to stay here after expiring my student visa. If yes then how can i do it. anyone recommend me a good consultant or lawyer who can help me in montreal.

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
sophieee said:
I don't have experience with the visitor record, but I'm from a visa-exempt country, and still, once almost had some serious problem with the re-entry before my 6 months expired. The officer was very clear that I shouldn't leave Canada while my application is in process, after the "lesson" she gave me a visitor record, but repeated that I should leave.
Maybe it's different with an outland app.

I got it for 6 months. It's better to have legal status for the whole time of the application, otherwise you can have some problems.
Hi,
What is the story with the border? what did they said and how you were granted an entry ?

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
lellen said:
I am from a country where you are not even allowed to get on a plane if you don't have a gigantic Visa in your passport for most of the countries in the world. I once got stuck there because I had a valid study permit but my Visa was expired (didn't know they were two different things). However, as a foreign worker here in Canada, I went to the States many times without a Visa and was allowed back in without problems. They always made sure I didn't leave the States though, and they asked me how long I was there for.

That's only my experience, I know it's different for everyone.
Hi
I just dont understand this. You require visa to enter the U.S. but you entered there without visa because you are a worker in Canada?

lounge

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hello all, for spouse/common law questionnaire(Inland), if answer to question is "no" , does that mean the column to fill in information be left blank or i will still have to put "N/A". This is what i mean: Question (9) Were u previously married or in common law relationship, i check "no", all other column in question(9) be left blank or "N/A" . Any info regarding this will be appreciated.
Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Smsm81 said:
I just dont understand this. You require visa to enter the U.S. but you entered there without visa because you are a worker in Canada?
There are two documents involved: (1) a status document that indicates your legal status in a given country. That's what a "work permit" or "study permit" do - you are permitted to work or study. For Canada there are other such documents ("visitor record" and "temporary resident permit"). (2) a travel document that indicates permission to travel on common carriers to the specific country.

Common carriers are legally "on the hook" for people who appear at the border and are refused. That travel document shows them you have permission to go to that country.

So you might just go for a visit, in which case you could have a travel document but no status document. In Canada, when they admit you they grant you permission to stay for some period of time. By default that is 6 months. But it can be shorter or longer and they will document how long you can remain in Canada in some fashion (a visitor record, work/study permit or even just a written date inside your passport on the passport stamp).

When you land outland, they actually stamp your passport and write in the fact you have no departure date (mine has an "I---------------" written under the entry stamp). Inland you don't get that stamp. The PR card effectively documents the same thing.