18-10-2012
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Done....
27-11-2012
labhouise said:
Hi

Yes, just your visitor records and work permit
You will only be asked a couple of questions.............. Is all the information on your CORP correct? Have you comitted any crimes in Canada ? And is there any dependants you haven't included on your application?
That't it. It's not really an interview.
I landed Feb. 14th. It took about 15 mins

Congrats !!

Watchie

Mar 1, 2013
hi computergeek, i have a question for you or anyone else who knows, does CIC have two different UCI# for the applicant and the sponsor?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Watchie said:
hi computergeek, i have a question for you or anyone else who knows, does CIC have two different UCI# for the applicant and the sponsor?
Yes. The idea is that every person with whom CIC has interaction has one UCI (I ended up with two, but that's unusual and the manuals actually describe what to do when it happens so the person ends up with one.)

jiggyzealous

Jan 22, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 26, 2012
AOR Received.
December 21, 2012
Med's Done....
August 17, 2012
Interview........
God waived it for us
LANDED..........
Praying for this year
@watchie

you sound like a real yaadie still. I havent seen that before still, because my wife got a UCI and I got a application file number. I dealt with immigration in the past and was given a client ID which I placed on the application but they still dont use it.

@Computergeek,
at which point in the process do they give you a client ID number

Sep 9, 2012
Hey Guys!

I'm in the process of doing mine and my husband's taxes (oh what fun! lol). I've got a question about this:

I've received AIP in September and I'm now working. Since working, I decided to open up a RRSP. It says that I need the NOTICE OF ASSESSMENT in order to input my RRSP deduction limit for 2012. I don't have one... Should I just not include the amount I've contributed to my RRSP for this tax season and wait until I have my permanent residency (Hopefully I should be hearing something this May!) and include it into next years taxes?? Sooo confused ???

Thanks!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MonkeyPoohBear said:
Hey Guys!

I'm in the process of doing mine and my husband's taxes (oh what fun! lol). I've got a question about this:

I've received AIP in September and I'm now working. Since working, I decided to open up a RRSP. It says that I need the NOTICE OF ASSESSMENT in order to input my RRSP deduction limit for 2012. I don't have one... Should I just not include the amount I've contributed to my RRSP for this tax season and wait until I have my permanent residency (Hopefully I should be hearing something this May!) and include it into next years taxes?? Sooo confused ???

Thanks!
The person that opened your RRSP did you a disservice. Not only are you not allowed to deduct that amount but if you contributed more than $2k there may be a 1% penalty tax on the excess amount (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rrsp-reer/cntrbtng/xcss-eng.html)

In addition, my understanding is that you don't get to deduct that amount in future years as the deduction is only available for the year in which you made the contribution.

Sep 9, 2012
Hey Computergeek!

Oh so I guess I wasn't allowed to open up an RRSP account then?! I've only contributed $75 into it... that's all I put and have in it.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MonkeyPoohBear said:
Hey Computergeek!

Oh so I guess I wasn't allowed to open up an RRSP account then?! I've only contributed $75 into it... that's all I put and have in it.
You aren't eligible to contribute the first year, no. You may be able to contribute to a retirement account in your home country but I'd check the tax treaty. I know that a US citizen can contribute to an IRA in the US and deduct it for Canadian tax purposes (ah, but Americans have to fill out extra paperwork for Canadian RRSPs - at least it's only one page. The TFSA requires 10 page informational returns, each.)

At least you aren't going to get penalized.

You can contribute now, since you'll have a number listed on your 2012 notice.

Sep 9, 2012
computergeek said:
You aren't eligible to contribute the first year, no. You may be able to contribute to a retirement account in your home country but I'd check the tax treaty. I know that a US citizen can contribute to an IRA in the US and deduct it for Canadian tax purposes (ah, but Americans have to fill out extra paperwork for Canadian RRSPs - at least it's only one page. The TFSA requires 10 page informational returns, each.)

At least you aren't going to get penalized.

You can contribute now, since you'll have a number listed on your 2012 notice.
I'm from England.
Sorry if I sound dumb lol, but I wanna make sure that I understand what you're telling me. This is a WHOLE new system I'm trying to learn and get my head around! Lol

Soooo I'm kinda confused on what you're telling me... Sorry. So I CAN put my $75 contributions down on my taxes for this year?? Do I just leave the section blank where it says to input my RRSP deduction limit??

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
MonkeyPoohBear said:
I'm from England.
Sorry if I sound dumb lol, but I wanna make sure that I understand what you're telling me. This is a WHOLE new system I'm trying to learn and get my head around! Lol

Soooo I'm kinda confused on what you're telling me... Sorry. So I CAN put my $75 contributions down on my taxes for this year?? Do I just leave the section blank where it says to input my RRSP deduction limit??
You cannot deduct the $75. But it's now 2013, so contributions you make now would be deductible from your 2013 income - and when you file your 2012 taxes you will get your notice back and it will show some amount that may be contributed (because you had 2012 income).

Watchie

Mar 1, 2013
jiggyzealous said:
@ watchie

you sound like a real yaadie still. I havent seen that before still, because my wife got a UCI and I got a application file number. I dealt with immigration in the past and was given a client ID which I placed on the application but they still dont use it.

@ Computergeek,
hi ziggyzealous, straight yaadie born n bread, love cornmeal porridge ehehehe.. anyway, i didnt know that they assign 2 UCI number very weird but we only got one which we check occassionally. trying not to over stress because this process is very stressful especially dealing with the unknown, i just plan to get with our lives although i havent work in abit, that alone is killing me but i'm a workaholic and now and have to sit and wait patiently

TheProfessorsWife

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 4, 2011
AOR Received.
August 15, 2012
Med's Done....
June 8,2011
Good Afternoon!

I was wondering if requesting my FOSS notes will slow down or "red flag" my application...

Our inland application was received October 2011 in Vegreville, our application began processing in Aug 2012... Still haven't received any word on anything else happening... just getting a little antsy seeing people landed whose applications were received in Dec 2011...

Thanks guys!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
TheProfessorsWife said:
Good Afternoon!

I was wondering if requesting my FOSS notes will slow down or "red flag" my application...

Our inland application was received October 2011 in Vegreville, our application began processing in Aug 2012... Still haven't received any word on anything else happening... just getting a little antsy seeing people landed whose applications were received in Dec 2011...

Thanks guys!
No red flag. If you do ask for your GCMS notes (FOSS is now gone as I understand it, having been replaced by GCMS) ask for "electronic case notes" because asking for a physical copy of the file can cause delays in processing your application.

Sep 9, 2012
computergeek said:
You cannot deduct the $75. But it's now 2013, so contributions you make now would be deductible from your 2013 income - and when you file your 2012 taxes you will get your notice back and it will show some amount that may be contributed (because you had 2012 income).
Thank you Computergeek for your help!

Watchie

Mar 1, 2013
jiggyzealous said:
@ watchie

@ Computergeek,
hey Jiggy, no pigtail fi mi, not a rasta but fire bun fi dat.. we kingstonian people dont mess around the pig..ehehehehe.. i too have a degree and waiting patiently..amen.. i live in etobicoke and cant wait to hear from my neighbors where vegreville transfer my application for further assessment.. i'm on pins n needles, it will last long but not forever..