+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Hi all, I'd applied for Indian passport surrender for myself and wife on May 4th at the Brampton BLS office (walk-in).
On the passport seva tracking website, my wife's application has generated a file number and has the status "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.", so that looks fine.

My application does not have a file number yet though and still has the status "Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted."
On the BLS tracker, the status shown is "Processing at Consulate General"
Wondering if I should be worried that they possibly messed up my application or whether this kind of progress is normal.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all, I'd applied for Indian passport surrender for myself and wife on May 4th at the Brampton BLS office (walk-in).
On the passport seva tracking website, my wife's application has generated a file number and has the status "Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate.", so that looks fine.

My application does not have a file number yet though and still has the status "Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted."
Wondering if I should be worried that they possibly messed up my application or whether this kind of progress is normal.
When you submit your application file number is created on passport seva site. Something like 23-2001101011
You should have it.

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Question, Do I need to have a valid Indian Passport to surrender? My passport expired on May 1st, waiting for oath?

I was told I should be fine but am a bit confused now, should I apply for a new Indian Passport or should I just wait for the oath and can surrender an expired passport?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Question, Do I need to have a valid Indian Passport to surrender? My passport expired on May 1st, waiting for oath?

I was told I should be fine but am a bit confused now, should I apply for a new Indian Passport or should I just wait for the oath and can surrender an expired passport?
Whatever the last Indian PP you have expired or not, you’ve got to surrender that and cancel your Indian citizenship.
Don’t waste your money to renew your Indian passport unless you have any urgent travel coming up
You cannot apply for new Indian passport once you become a Canadian citizen

Last edited:
Reactions: AshRK

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Whatever the last Indian PP you have expired or not, you’ve got surrender that and cancel your Indian citizenship.
Don’t waste your money to renew your Indian passport unless you have any urgent travel coming up
You cannot apply for new Indian passport once you become a Canadian citizen
Thanks

Reactions: abbas.pasha

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019

That is how it shows up on the tracker - don't believe the BLS tracker until Passport Seva says "SC has been printed".

Once SC is printed, BLS will show "In Transit to BLS centre" and then "Ready for Collection"

Once it is ready for collection, you would get a comment section that has a tracker for the Purolator courier.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Surrender Certificate timeline:

01-May-2024: Application submitted at BLS, Mississauga Office
01-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
[BLS Status : Under Process & In Transit from BLS Centre to Consulate General]
02-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
[BLS Status : Processing at Consulate General]
03-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate (File no. assigned)
10-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
13-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate has been printed. [BLS Status : In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre]
14-May-2024: BLS Status : Ready for Dispatch & Dispatched via Courier (with tracking Info)
15-May-2024: Surrender Certificate and cancelled passport Deliverd

My wife surrender cerificate status shows "Surrender certificate has been printed " on passport seva dated 13-May but BLS status still shows "Processing at Consulate General" - does that mean consulate not yet send her certificate to BLS yet. Do I need to check with BLS - any idea what's wrong?

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022

01-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender Certificate application form has been submitted.
02-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Passport application along with fee details have been received. The same is under processing at the Embassy/Consulate.
03-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate (File no. assigned)
10-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.
13-May-2024: Passport Seva Status: Surrender certificate has been printed. [BLS Status : In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre]
14-May-2024: BLS Status : Ready for Dispatch & Dispatched via Courier (with tracking Info)

My wife surrender cerificate status shows "Surrender certificate has been printed " on passport seva dated 13-May but BLS status still shows "Processing at Consulate General" - does that mean consulate not yet send her certificate to BLS yet. Do I need to check with BLS - any idea what's wrong?
Try checking purolator tracking with the reference number 24-XXXXXX.. You might see an update if any.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

It will take a few days before BLS status gets updated, back in Nov 2022 when I did my SC application, I remember it took about a week for BLS status to get updated to Ready for Collection

AshRK

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Can we surrender our Indian Passport after receiving certificate or we have to get the Canadian passport and then surrender Indian passport?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Can we surrender our Indian Passport after receiving certificate or we have to get the Canadian passport and then surrender Indian passport?
Only place it worked is Vancouver BLS where they accept it without Canadian passport. Other BLS its not being accepted.