+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land sponsorship and inteview--we are almost done!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, anyone have similar experience?update: Dec 16t

Yes...of course.....read the documents....I was so excited I have been barely able to think, let alone read!! I keep reading it and nothing seems to be processing in my brain. I think you are right, the have accepted the applicaiton but just need these last few things to make a final approval. It's been almost 3 years since we first submitted and they need updated information. I feel like we are so close.......the tears havent' started flowing yet.......!

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, anyone have similar experience?update: Dec 16t

Sounds good. I have a question the form that you say the CIC is asking, is a basic form that it is SENT AT THE BEGINNING of the process, Why is it that it hasn't been sent yet?? Is it possible that the lack of paper has really slowed your process down considerably? Because what they are asking you for is what most people (my husband included) send right off the bat.

Other than that it seems that it is MOVING FORWARD!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Hi Ana,
Yes, the form they are now requesting was in fact sent in the original package we sent almost 3 years ago!! So yeah, we sent it in but my guess is they are asking for it again, to have the most recent information....?? In any case, today we got in the mail a letter finally giving a more definitive statement. it says:
It has been determined that you meet the eligibity requirements to apply for permanant resident status as a member of the spouse of common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final decision will not be made until all remianing requirements for becoming a permanant resident have been met. These requirements inlude security and background checks (the full list of what they wanted was sent to use yesterday). BAsically it sounds like they want to make sure my husband has not been involved in any criminal activity since we first applied.
So....WE ARE ALMOST THERE!!! Until he gets his PR status, I am holding back celebrating......!!!

Can someone just advise me about this ( I do plan on calling CIC tomorrow for more info--but I find them useless sometimes)

The letter indicates that :if you are not already in possession of a valid work permit or have a work permit but wish to work elsewhere.....you may apply .......
So....how do we apply?? I am assuming htis is the Open work permit people talk about on this forum. However, we are almost approved for PR status, so he may ultimatly get the work permit at the same timie as his PR?? which one will take longer to get? My thinking is we apply for the work permit anyway submit the remaining security checks they want and just wait. The other question I have is: can we apply for OHIP for him yet?? That's not as a big deal since he is covered under my work benefits.

I'm circling 3rd base!!!!!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, almost approved? how to do work permit?

Okay, I have read a few thread on this forum and see I have to submit the IM1524 and I think I will send it in at the same time as teh PR applicaiton and all other additional documentation they have requested. I will verify this tomorrow with CIC. If he get's his landing papers first--who cares?? so we will lose 150bucks at this point I could care less about the money!

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008

Yup, we lost the $150 and you know what? I had forgotten about it already! LOL
Something tells me that you shouldn't send the open work application, cuz it takes (they told me) 75+ days to get it. Do the math. But of course, we must take into consideration that this is CIC we are talking about right?

It sounds wonderful! I am happy for you!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Thanks for your good wishes Ana...I am holding off feeling completley happy because as you said this is CIC we are talking about!
I think we are going to send in the work permit anyway. We have no way of knowing how long it will be until my husband gets PR status---we never expected it would be almost 3 years before we got even this far!
I called the CIC number this morning and this is what I was told. All the documents (security, backround check, fingerprints) have to be submitted to our local office (as was indicated on the letter we recieved) but rather than put the application for the work permit with it, we have to send that separately to Vegreville as apparently they are the only ones who can issue it. I was told to send it with a phocopy of our letter from our local office indicating my husband met the requirments to apply for PR under the spousal sponsorship category.

Does this sound okay?? My husband has not work for 3 years now and I would love to get the work permit sooner rather than later. If he gets his PR status first--great...I don't care about the 150 bucks. I just want something that will allow him to work--whichever "status" he gets first.

Also, anyone know if we can apply for OHIP for him.......looks like i have to make another call to CIC (ugh)

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008

Yes, send it to Vegreville.

Regarding the OHIP, you need to get a Medical Approval Letter, from the CIC call centre (we did, not that we used it).

Once you have it, take that with his passport, a utility bill (bank monthly account letter okay) and a Visa and you still need to wait 3 months.

I hope that helps.

Ana
PS yes... Do NOT celebrate, only when you have the PR papers in your hands you can do that:)

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview,AIP, help needed to do workapplication

Thanks again Ana,
Apparently the health coverage will have to wait. For some reason in all the documentation they have requested this time, a medical is not one of them. I called the CIC call centre and they said that they may not require one (?--maybe because my hubby has been here for 10 years and he did a medical when he applied for refugee status?). In any case, no biggie, I will just wait that out.
We are trying to fill out the work permit application and are confused as to how much detail we need to provide. Everytime we go to fill out one of these forms, it gets confusing because it never seems to apply to our case because the case is so old.
So if anyone can advise: form IMM1249, application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada.

I think we gave enough detail in question 10 ( I want to ....change conditions. i.e we wrote, just got AIP and are able to submit applicaiton for work permit). We wrote the whole story about applicaition for sponsorship first sent in April 2006, file transferred Feb 2007, additional documents sent to Scarb Nov. 2008 and interview in Dec 2008 resulting in AIP).

Question 12 is where we are not sure how much detail we need to put in.
My husband originally came to Canada in 1997 on a visitors visa. Remained here illegally but worked (obviously illegally) up until we married in March 2006. Basically this is what we wrote in answer to this question (with just a little bit more detail). Is this sufficient? In our PR applicaiton which is going to the Scarborough office, he has written his entire work history in Canada--so they know he was working here and where. Do I repeat that??

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

Hi Choco.......

Can you please provide updates of what happened after Dec 11 2008. did you apply for OWP or did you get your PR? If so please ellaborate.....

Mine was transferred to local cic scar in July 07 and till today no news.

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Sadhumaharaj said:
Hi Choco.......

Can you please provide updates of what happened after Dec 11 2008. did you apply for OWP or did you get your PR? If so please ellaborate.....

Mine was transferred to local cic scar in July 07 and till today no news.
HI Sadhumaharaj,
I just send you a simlilar personal message. WE have heard nothing about the OWP or the PR approval yet at all. We submitted the applicaiton for the OWP at the same time we sent in the security checks requested. I think that was early Jan. Then in Feb we got a request for an updated medical. So that was sent in mid Feb. Since then we have heard nothing. Given the way they work, we are praying that we will hear something by the end of March. Hopefully it will be approval for PR status. If it ends up being and approval for OWP--heck, in the meantime, we'll take that instead!

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

Hi Chocolover,

Thanks so much for your reply, regarding your work permit i think pls refer to this site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res

it usually takes about 20 days for the OWP

lets wait and hope we ge it soon.

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

Hi Chocolover,

Any updates yet? i was contacted by them to submit updates. Do you know how long will it take for them to decide after submitting updates? Anyone can answer this question. I am worried. Hope this does not take too long.

My timeline
CI-VEG Nov 2006
Scarborough office: July 2007 transferrred without AIP
Scarborough office contacted me for updates June 2009.
They received the docs today.

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

I have been meaning to update this thread for a while now. We are finally going for the landing interview on October 28th!!!
My husband got his work permit issued this past May. On September 2nd we got the letter indicating he had been approved for PR status and that we needed to come to an interivew on October 28th ( I am assuming this is the landing interview, someone please correct me if I am wrong). So...took over 3 years. I am praying that by the end of this month, it will be over.
Good luck to everyone on this site. I have to thank everyone who has given me encouragement and support--I learned a lot and it gave me a long of strength,
Bless you all.

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

Congraulations Chocolover. If you dont mind can you please outline your timelines? I was approved in principle in Aug 2009, Not sure how long landing will take. Any ideas?

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Hi Sadhu,
I tried replying to your personal message but you inbox is full!!
Timelines are hard to do cause it took so long. Let's see
Sent application March 2006 to Vegreville
transferred to Scarborough CIC Feb 2007
Contacted by Scarborough CIC in October 2008 for more information (joint bank account, Option C printout etc)
November 2008 contacted by CIC for more information (stuff we were asked for before but didn't have --like joint credit card statements, joint bank account statments)
December 2008 had interview to judge bona fides of marriage
January 2009 approved in principal and asked for background check( we also submittted for Open work Permit around this time)
February 2009, asked for medica
May 2009--received OPen work permit
Sept 2009--letter indicating all in order and asked to come for interview in October 2009 .

Keep in mind, reading this site, we seem to be in the minority whose case took really long. I think this might have been because our marriage was arranged but also because my husband had been here illegally for 6-7 years before we were married and then he applied for refugee status and then got married. No doubt, that looked very odd to Immigration. We never expected it to take this long....very naively never occcured to us that the genuiness of our marriage would be called into question.