+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land sponsorship and inteview--we are almost done!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview,AIP, help needed to do workapplication

Sadhumaharaj said:
Congraulations Chocolover. If you dont mind can you please outline your timelines? I was approved in principle in Aug 2009, Not sure how long landing will take. Any ideas?
Sorry...forgot the other part of your question. If you were approved in principle in Aug 2009, did they also ask you for a background check or medical (or both). If not, then my guess would be you wont have to wait much longer. In our case, we had to do both (even though the background check and medical had been done 3 years ago). If they did ask you for background and/or medical, you might still want to apply for an OPen work permit.

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

chocolover said:
Hi Sadhu,
I tried replying to your personal message but you inbox is full!!
Timelines are hard to do cause it took so long. Let's see
Sent application March 2006 to Vegreville
transferred to Scarborough CIC Feb 2007
Contacted by Scarborough CIC in October 2008 for more information (joint bank account, Option C printout etc)
November 2008 contacted by CIC for more information (stuff we were asked for before but didn't have --like joint credit card statements, joint bank account statments)
December 2008 had interview to judge bona fides of marriage
January 2009 approved in principal and asked for background check( we also submittted for Open work Permit around this time)
February 2009, asked for medica
May 2009--received OPen work permit
Sept 2009--letter indicating all in order and asked to come for interview in October 2009 .

Keep in mind, reading this site, we seem to be in the minority whose case took really long. I think this might have been because our marriage was arranged but also because my husband had been here illegally for 6-7 years before we were married and then he applied for refugee status and then got married. No doubt, that looked very odd to Immigration. We never expected it to take this long....very naively never occcured to us that the genuiness of our marriage would be called into question.

So it took nearly 9 months for the background check in your case(considering he was illegal 6-7 years and had applied refugee too). Thanks for your reply. I did really appreciate it. Sorry I dont know why inbox is showing full as i have no messages at all. Let us know how your landing interview goes. Good Luck!

Sadhumaharaj

Apr 3, 2009

chocolover said:
Sadhumaharaj said:
Congraulations Chocolover. If you dont mind can you please outline your timelines? I was approved in principle in Aug 2009, Not sure how long landing will take. Any ideas?
Sorry...forgot the other part of your question. If you were approved in principle in Aug 2009, did they also ask you for a background check or medical (or both). If not, then my guess would be you wont have to wait much longer. In our case, we had to do both (even though the background check and medical had been done 3 years ago). If they did ask you for background and/or medical, you might still want to apply for an OPen work permit.
I am just waiting for my Background check,rest I have completed. Background check is conducted by CSIS so I will have to wait for an answer from them for Landing Interview. I have already recd the OWP and in a job by God's grace.

ImmEnforce

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Canadian Dream Come true....

chocolover said:
Thanks to all who have already given me a lot of helpful advise on this matter. Rather than intrude on other threads, I thought it made more sense to start my own! I'll try to summarize my story quickly.
My husband and I had an arranged marriage and were married in March 2006. He had been in the country since 1997. First on a visitors visa, then that lapsed and was here illegaly. Then in 2004 he applied on Humanitarian visa was denied, then applied for refugee status.
So illegal for 6 Years....and then apply for a status and waste the tax payer's money
While he had refugee status, he had a work permit which allowed him to continue to work.
While he was a claimant...Refugee status is reserved for real refugees
My sponsorship of him overlapped his refugee claim. He was denied his refugee claim but we never bothered to appeal since we figured we were on the route for my sponsorship of him anyway.
So he was told to leave but didn't.
Our application went into Vegreville in April 2006. We got a letter from Vegreville in Feb 2007, finally telling us our applicaiton had been received and that our file had been transferred to our local office. We waited patiently until this past October where my husband got a letter asking for documentation such as pictures (we sent our wedding and reception pictures), phone bills, if we had joint bank accounts then to send statments but if we had separate to send statments (I only have my account where all bills are paid, but his name is not on it and he does not have an account as he is not working). Anyway, we sent in whatever documentation we had. He got another letter about 2 weeks ago asking for similar documenation (i.e. phone bills, bank accounts, photos) and telling us a we have an inteview scheduled this coming Thursday. I am asking for help as to what to expect for this interview. My husband and I are having a tough time grappling with the whole notion of 'proving our marriage' is genuine. I know people marry for citzenship but to prove we got married for love is silly. It was arranged. Nonetheless, after we married, we certainly have grown to love one another and nothing else mattered.
Can anyone help me out and tell me what questions to expect in the interiew. I have already written a letter stating my case and my husband is in the middle of doing the same. All this time, we have not gathered photos cards because, in all honesty, it never occured that we would be asked for 'proof'. Our marriage for the last 2 1/2 years was proof enough (or so we thought).
Anyone?
Sorry, but this is the exact reason why everyone who wishes to immigrate to this country has to wait so long. Lets take advantage of every loophole in the system....