+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In-land sponsorship and inteview--we are almost done!

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Thanks to all who have already given me a lot of helpful advise on this matter. Rather than intrude on other threads, I thought it made more sense to start my own! I'll try to summarize my story quickly.
My husband and I had an arranged marriage and were married in March 2006. He had been in the country since 1997. First on a visitors visa, then that lapsed and was here illegaly. Then in 2004 he applied on Humanitarian visa was denied, then applied for refugee status. While he had refugee status, he had a work permit which allowed him to continue to work. My sponsorship of him overlapped his refugee claim. He was denied his refugee claim but we never bothered to appeal since we figured we were on the route for my sponsorship of him anyway. Our application went into Vegreville in April 2006. We got a letter from Vegreville in Feb 2007, finally telling us our applicaiton had been received and that our file had been transferred to our local office. We waited patiently until this past October where my husband got a letter asking for documentation such as pictures (we sent our wedding and reception pictures), phone bills, if we had joint bank accounts then to send statments but if we had separate to send statments (I only have my account where all bills are paid, but his name is not on it and he does not have an account as he is not working). Anyway, we sent in whatever documentation we had. He got another letter about 2 weeks ago asking for similar documenation (i.e. phone bills, bank accounts, photos) and telling us a we have an inteview scheduled this coming Thursday. I am asking for help as to what to expect for this interview. My husband and I are having a tough time grappling with the whole notion of 'proving our marriage' is genuine. I know people marry for citzenship but to prove we got married for love is silly. It was arranged. Nonetheless, after we married, we certainly have grown to love one another and nothing else mattered.
Can anyone help me out and tell me what questions to expect in the interiew. I have already written a letter stating my case and my husband is in the middle of doing the same. All this time, we have not gathered photos cards because, in all honesty, it never occured that we would be asked for 'proof'. Our marriage for the last 2 1/2 years was proof enough (or so we thought).
Anyone?

kessa

Star Member
Nov 10, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, anyone have similar experience?

Hi.. I have the same case like yours. My file was transferred to the local office last Oct this year. I don't have work as I am sponsored but I was able to open a bank account with him. I also took pictures every now and then just for documentation. I am his beneficiary in his insurance. In his Master Card visa I am the supplementary holder. After I read about Ana's advice I started asking friends/Pastor/President of our association etc.. some letter of support to add proof that we are indeed a couple. You see even if our relationship is indeed true we have to prove it to them on the way they want it like photos etc..We are given a long time to prepare as we are applying for permanent residence visa.
If you read some blogs here some questions would be personal. I wish you luck. I know you can make it.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011

chocolover said:
My husband and I are having a tough time grappling with the whole notion of 'proving our marriage' is genuine. I know people marry for citzenship but to prove we got married for love is silly. It was arranged. Nonetheless, after we married, we certainly have grown to love one another and nothing else mattered . . .
I have already written a letter stating my case and my husband is in the middle of doing the same. All this time, we have not gathered photos cards because, in all honesty, it never occured that we would be asked for 'proof'. Our marriage for the last 2 1/2 years was proof enough (or so we thought).
The "attitude" expressed here is what you need to work really, really hard to overcome. Hopefully it is not the attitude you expressed when you wrote your letter to CIC stating your case! It should not be at all surprising to you that CIC considers your relationship to be a possible "marriage of convenience". Although it never occurred to you that you would have to "prove" your relationship to be genuine, all of us have to do that - failed refugee claims or not - so why should you be any different? The photos and things you have provided so far are good proof - it's unfortunate, though, that there doesn't seem to be any documentation of the development of your relationship over the past several years. It's also not good that his name is not on at least one of your bank accounts; an unwillingness to share assets could be construed by CIC as an indication that you do not intend to stay together once he is granted permanent status. Have you added him as a beneficiary on any insurance policies, or signed him up for extended benefits available through your work (if applicable)? Is he on your lease agreement/mortgage, is his name on any of your credit card accounts? Have you done anything that can demonstrate that you actually share an equal partnership as far as your life together? That's what's wrong with the "our marriage of 2 1.2 years (should be) proof enough". It really only proves that you've agreed to stick with him for as long as it takes for him to get permanent status. The years of him being in Canada illegally, a failed H&C ap, and a failed Refugee claim followed by an "arranged marriage" all make for one huge red flag.

Even if you have "grown to love each other", you're going to have to convince them that this marriage was not about giving him privilege under the Act . . . and that might be really difficult to do when you've already admitted, basically, that the marriage was arranged. Unless arranged marriage is customary in your culture, and your marriage was entered into and performed under those customs, you're gonna have a fight on your hands.

I have no personal experience with attending an interview, so what I say here is only what I've gathered from reading threads by other people who have experienced interviews. You should both be prepared to answer questions about each others' hobbies, where you each went to school, all about family member's names/birthdates, etc. And that is only the beginning. Think "police interrogation" like you see on TV. You should be prepared to answer questions such as what kind of toothpaste you each use, what type of deodorant, what colour underware you're wearing today, who sleeps on what side of the bed . . . as well as questions of a personal nature about your intimate relationship. These interviews are "no holes barred" - there may even be questions/accusations about why you haven't had children together yet, and they might accuse one or both of you of having intimate relationships outside the marriage.

I'd suggest that you search these forums, for threads that detail interviews people have attended. You should also search for threads about refused applications because in recent weeks there have been a few people who've posted details of their interviews in their threads about how their application was subsequently refused.

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Thank Robsluv for your honest input. Not to worry the letters we are writing are not conveying the same attitude that is coming across in the cold hard world of online writing! We are not as indignant as it may come across in what i write here! We are just puzzled. But we'll move on from that puzzlement. The fact is in Islam, arranged marriages are the norm. There is no dating, there is not opportunity to get to know one another save for a few meetings, usually with a chaperone. Our spouses are 'chosen' for us with our approval. So our marriage is very normal for our relgious requirements. We have no fear about the questions, those are actually easy. I do have my husband's as beneficary and also on my work health benefit plan. I can easly add his name to my bank accounts and credit card if that's what it takes. The stupid part is that THAT is what is disenguous to me. They want a paper trail. Okay, we have to just play that game. Thanks again for the frank reply, you have given me good advice. anyone else want to provide input, please do so !

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008

You got it! You have to play their game by THEIR rules:)

So about you being a benificiary and all, it is great news! When a couple start putting each other's names on financial benefits (life insurance, work health insurances) that means A LOT.

The fact that it was traditionally arranged is NOT an issue. Canadian immigration takes that kind of marriage for granted coming from lots of countries....so move on from that. It was arranged so what? Build and focus on the love you have and what you share...a home, money, insurance policies.

And a little advice... wear your heart on your sleeve.
If you are nervous, don't hide it, if you are happy don't , i f you feel teary, it is okay. You have nothing to hide, right? You are nervous that your husband might be taken away from you right? So it is okay to act like it.

You will be okay, i can feel it:)
Best of luck.

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Thanks Anatolia, I'm beginning to think you should be voted best cheerleader on these forums! Don't stop what you are doing, it gives hope to all the rest of us who are still fighting the fight.
thanks dear, i pray your marriage will be filled with nothing but health, wealth and happiness :)

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

chocolover said:
Thanks Anatolia, I'm beginning to think you should be voted best cheerleader on these forums! Don't stop what you are doing, it gives hope to all the rest of us who are still fighting the fight.
thanks dear, i pray your marriage will be filled with nothing but health, wealth and happiness :)
Oh and by the way, I always my heart on my sleeve...and I have this feeling you do too!

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008

It is the best way to live, I think. Sometimes I get cynical and jaded, but then I remember that I don't want to be the sour-lemon person and I go back to being my heart-on-a-sleeve woman again:)

M

med

well anatolia s presence is very important here . so dont go anywhere lol

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008

Hi all,
Just an update for everyone. Just as an aside, to let people know when I have tried to add my husband to my bank account, I was told he would need 2 peices of ID but he has none. No drivers license, no OHIP, no SIN, no credit card NOTHING!! So I am curious to know how other people added their spouses.

In any case, we had our interview today and it went well (I pray!).

We both were brought into the room with the officer ( a woman wearing a Hijab so obviously a fellow Muslim). We gave her all our documentation which she went through and we explained the reasons why some stuff was missing or not complete (like why his name is not on my bank accounts). I also provided our letters and spoke to them. Despite my husbands very strict adherence to Islamic rquirements of not celebrating birthdays etc., I also showed her all the gifts he has given me for my birthday, anniversaries and Valentines Day--all done for no other reason but to make me happy. After that we were separated for out intervews. He went first and then me.

The questions were really not all that bad and almost so easy that i was worried that the answers would look rehearsed.
For those who are wondering, this is what I was asked:
My address
our home phone number and my cell number (to verify what he said)
My husbands family (i.e. brothers, sisters, how many, where they live)
My own family (again for confirmaiton against what he said)
What I did for a living and what my husband did
When my husband came to Canada
Why my husband chose so late in life to marry despite our typical traditions of being off young (when we were married we were both in our mid 40's)
Who did the cooking
where I typically shopped
Some of the questions were obviously in attempt to verify his answers like: what my relationship with my mother was like, if I was close to any of my sisters, etc.
How we spent our days/evenings
What was my favourite colour, what is his favourite colour.
Did I drive, did he drive,
She also asked, if we had breakfast together this morning and how we got to the interview.
One of the most intersting one was when she asked me to draw a layout of our bedroom.

I have to say, I am pretty sure our answers were very consistent. As I answered them, i could see her check off the answers my husband gave.
The only 2 I would say we goofed up was when my husband drew our bedroom, he totally forgot a little filing cabinet I use at the side of his bed!! when I drew my picture, I even explained to the lady that I use it as a nightstand but it really is a filing cabinet that i wasn't even sure if my husband would realize that. In any case, once reminded, he was able to mention all the stuff that was on top. I was floored that he couldn't remember something that he see's every mornign when he wakes up!! Then again I realized, truth be told, I have slowly taken over our bedroom. We live in a 1 bedroom apt and the walk in closet is mostly mine. The majority of his clothes are in the hallway. So in reality, the bedroom to him is for only 2 purposes. One is for sleeping and you know what the other is.
To be fair to him, I royally screwed up when I forgot a trip we made to Niagara Falls shortly after we first got married. He had said we had gone and when I was asked I said no. I completely blanked that out. Why....i really don't know. I think because it was such a quick trip (I wanted to shop and he didn't), it was a hot day, etc.etc....so it's like a dream almost. I blame it on the fact it was shortly after we were married and I was still in la la land.
So, now we wait. It was very hard to read the officer. She was very nice, smiled and she didn't seem to be looking for ways to trip us up. So it while it was nerve wracking I wouldn't describe my experience as an interrogation. I am still stick over the 2 big goof ups--but am hoping that those wont be the only answers they concentrate on.

We are told our decision will be provided by mail by next week. Inshallah, when we get our answer, I will post here again. Thanks so much for all who have already provided excellent advise, support and guidance.

M

med

if u have a ood interview as u said then u will be granted pr inshallah

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008

Chocolover, it sounds like a really good interview. And really...what true couple would answer EXACTLY alike? What two people would answer correctly all the time.. And at this point Immigration KNOWS that men are NOT as observant as women...

:) Sounds really good. I smell victory. Have a great weekend!

kessa

Star Member
Nov 10, 2008

Me too can smell victory Choco... I hope and pray you will make it. You mentioned your curiosity on how others were able to add their spouse on their bank. When the bank officer asked me for 2 ID's, I showed them my passport and anything like my papers way back home to identify that I am indeed that person. Anyways, I am glad you shared some questions. It is a very nice gesture and I know this will help me too in the future when I will be called for an interview.

chocolover

Nov 28, 2008
Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, anyone have similar experience?update: Dec 16t

Hello all,
Today we got a letter from CIC which is kind of confusing. I think we have been approved but it's hard to tell what the status of the file is.
My husband is being asked to submit:
A copy of his brith certificate
he has to fill in the appliation for permanant resident status form IMM5002
send 3 immigration size photographs
photocopy of his original passport
his fingerprints
I think this is all good but I have some questions. What is considered an immigration size photograph?? do they mean passport sized?
Also, can someone tell me: Have we been approved????!!!!

M

med

Re: In-land sponsorship and inteview, anyone have similar experience?update: Dec 16t

well i think immigration sized photos are the photos with the specific measurement provided in the instructions of the application forms ,
i also think that since they have requested some extra documents from u or ur husband that means that ur file has been principally accepted and they just want to complete the documents needed . hope thats the case , best of luck