none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
bartjones said:
Luckily in my case the applicant is my spouse so the "excessive demand" requirement doesn't apply. Presumably a pregnant spousal applicant would be fine. A non-spousal pregnant PR applicant might have an issue, but then again, are there any outland visa offices left who are processing PR applications in under 9 months? If not, then it's a moot point. By the time the baby arrives, the PR application will still be pending.
Actually, I was thinking of what would happen if your wife had tried to enter the country as a visitor while pregnant, to wait out the outland application. A visitor certainly isn't "excessive demand exempt." In Alberta, it seems from what's been said on the forum that coverage is available immediately in that situation.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
frege said:
Actually, I was thinking of what would happen if your wife had tried to enter the country as a visitor while pregnant, to wait out the outland application. A visitor certainly isn't "excessive demand exempt." In Alberta, it seems from what's been said on the forum that coverage is available immediately in that situation.
Sorry, now I see what you are saying. I suppose it would depend on how far along in the PR process the applicant is. If the applicant had "AFP" but not COPR at the time they entered, then presumably CBSA could say that the person was a potential "excessive demand" visitor and turn them away. It seems pretty harsh given that the applicant would just be availing themselves of a legal right the Ontario government bestowed upon them.

In addition, I'm not sure how much CBSA knows about people in my wife's position when they enter. It seemed to me that when we entered the country at Vancouver back in May, the CBSA agent could tell little more than the fact that my wife had an outstanding PR application when he searched her in his computer and that was only because I told him she had applied and gave him the application file number. I don't think he could tell how far along in the process she was or if she had AFP, so it would be hard for him to draw any firm conclusions about whether she would or wouldn't be entitled to health care in Ontario.

Alberta might be a different story if, as you suggest, PR applicants are entitled to immediate health care upon arrival.

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
Thanks, bartjones, for your confirmation of what I am trying to say from the begining. My PR application was outland, yet I got my OHIP coverage a year before landing.

I do not know why some fellow members insist that the OHIP coverage is only for the inland sponsored applicants!!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Intel said:
I do not know why some fellow members insist that the OHIP coverage is only for the inland sponsored applicants!!
I think its based on the incorrect notion that the words "in Canada" in Reg. 552 refer to the location from which you made your application. That argument is not accepted by the Health Services Review Board. The words "in Canada" are simply a reference to where the applicant wishes to reside permanently.

Anyway, the important thing is to file the appeal if you are denied. The people at the OERC will take it from there. Also of some importance is that if the OERC contacts CIC and find that your application has not progressed far enough to qualify you for OHIP coverage, you can contact them later and they will make the same inquiry with CIC again at a later date.

Happywife08

Dec 19, 2012
Category........
Hello guys wanted to share with you my experience getting my health card (OHIP)

Since I got my DM last thursday 9th I decided go do my paperwork.
I went to a Service Ontario (Bayfield) in Barrie and they told me they couldn't do it but that I should go to another Service Ontario (Simcoe rd by the water front) since this one was Federal while the first one I went was provincial.
I went there and brought the email CIC send me with DM, my passport and my ontario Driver Licence. You need 2 ID docs one must have your address. and 1 doc that shows your status in Canada in my case it was my DM letter.
She took my picture and gave me a paper with all my details.
In order to get OHIP I must wait 3 months from the day I establish residency in Ontario, and even though I have lived here since Oct 2012, I still have to wait 3 months from the moment I got my DM letter, so April 9th I will get coverage and they will send me my health card around the same time.

Hope it helps someone looking for this info

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I got my PR last year on May, and applied for it on Feb 2012. I have been living in Ontario since September 2009 (before PR, I was under study permit).

I got my OHIP coverage on October 2012, and was technically eligible for it from late June 2012 because of the following:
1. As I mentioned, I applied for PR back in Feb 2012, and on late March 2012, I got my email, stating that my application was eligible for processing (we call this email, the PER (positive eligibility review) email
2. Three months from date I got my PER email, I was, technically, eligible for OHIP coverage, but I did not apply, because I didn't know about this, and I kept getting told by others that I would only be eligible for OHIP after I got my medical request (which would not until much later)
3. But around August 2012, I became aware of the rule, and decided to apply anyway, and I got my card around October (similar to other people's experiences, they would initially reject me, then I would ask for them to put in writing, so I could appeal, after which I received a favourable decision)

The point that I'm trying to make here is that, if you are eligible TO APPLY for PR (which is not the same as being eligible for PR), then you are eligible for OHIP coverage. The OHIP brochure even mentioned that passing this eligibility is no longer necessarily associated with getting requested for medicals (you may be eligible for OHIP, even before receiving a request for medicals from the CIC).

For FSW applicants, they usually pass this stage once they receive the PER email (again, getting PER email does not guarantee that you will get PR, only that you are eligible to apply for PR, usually depending upon which MI you're applying under), whereas family sponsorship applicants would probably have to wait until 'approval in principle'.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Happywife08 said:
Hello guys wanted to share with you my experience getting my health card (OHIP)

Since I got my DM last thursday 9th I decided go do my paperwork.
I went to a Service Ontario (Bayfield) in Barrie and they told me they couldn't do it but that I should go to another Service Ontario (Simcoe rd by the water front) since this one was Federal while the first one I went was provincial.
I went there and brought the email CIC send me with DM, my passport and my ontario Driver Licence. You need 2 ID docs one must have your address. and 1 doc that shows your status in Canada in my case it was my DM letter.
She took my picture and gave me a paper with all my details.
In order to get OHIP I must wait 3 months from the day I establish residency in Ontario, and even though I have lived here since Oct 2012, I still have to wait 3 months from the moment I got my DM letter, so April 9th I will get coverage and they will send me my health card around the same time.

Hope it helps someone looking for this info
This is incorrect. If you write to the appeal board you will get it sooner.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
meyakanor said:
I got my PR last year on May, and applied for it on Feb 2012. I have been living in Ontario since September 2009 (before PR, I was under study permit).

I got my OHIP coverage on October 2012, and was technically eligible for it from late June 2012 because of the following:
1. As I mentioned, I applied for PR back in Feb 2012, and on late March 2012, I got my email, stating that my application was eligible for processing (we call this email, the PER (positive eligibility review) email
2. Three months from date I got my PER email, I was, technically, eligible for OHIP coverage, but I did not apply, because I didn't know about this, and I kept getting told by others that I would only be eligible for OHIP after I got my medical request (which would not until much later)
3. But around August 2012, I became aware of the rule, and decided to apply anyway, and I got my card around October (similar to other people's experiences, they would initially reject me, then I would ask for them to put in writing, so I could appeal, after which I received a favourable decision)

The point that I'm trying to make here is that, if you are eligible TO APPLY for PR (which is not the same as being eligible for PR), then you are eligible for OHIP coverage. The OHIP brochure even mentioned that passing this eligibility is no longer necessarily associated with getting requested for medicals (you may be eligible for OHIP, even before receiving a request for medicals from the CIC).

For FSW applicants, they usually pass this stage once they receive the PER email (again, getting PER email does not guarantee that you will get PR, only that you are eligible to apply for PR, usually depending upon which MI you're applying under), whereas family sponsorship applicants would probably have to wait until 'approval in principle'.
Did you apply for your PR inland or outland?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
bartjones said:
Did you apply for your PR inland or outland?
I applied under FSWP, the PhD stream, and I was in Canada under study permit the whole time my PR was being processed.

As mentioned, after about a month I submitted my application, the CIC sent me a PER email, which indicated that I was eligible to apply for PR. Using this email, and this email alone, I was able to get temporary (one-year) OHIP coverage (though initially they refused me the coverage, and I had to appeal).

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
meyakanor said:
I applied under FSWP, the PhD stream, and I was in Canada under study permit the whole time my PR was being processed.

As mentioned, after about a month I submitted my application, the CIC sent me a PER email, which indicated that I was eligible to apply for PR. Using this email, and this email alone, I was able to get temporary (one-year) OHIP coverage (though initially they refused me the coverage, and I had to appeal).
Okay. Thanks.

kotsubu

Feb 5, 2014
snip
bartjones said:
If you get this interim approval they call you an "AFP", (Applicant For Permanent Residence).

So, as far as OHIP goes, once you sign the consent form allowing the OERC to communicate with CIC, the OERC will send a letter to the visa office where your application is being processed and inquire as to whether you are an "AFP". If CIC confirms that you are an AFP you can get OHIP three months after the date that CIC determined you were AFP.
bartjones thanks for all of the information you provided on this thread. I am wondering how long an AFP decision might take. Do you have any guess about that (and/or can you update this thread when you find out)? Right now for an outbound application through the Manilla embassy the initial stage has a processing time of about a month, followed by 14 months for the second stage. Would the AFP decision be made early on in that 14 months or near the end?

My wife is Japanese and I am trying to decide what to do. I have all the documents ready to submit an outbound application this month, but a recent conversation is making me rethink that. I just talked to people at my MPs office in Toronto (I am in Toronto for graduate studies and my wife is in our house in Japan with the kids). They suggested that she just move here as a visitor, then immediately apply inbound. As soon as the initial assessment is made she can be eligible to apply for OHIP in that case. But that is around 7-9 months now. Just trying to get a sense of which way would allow my wife to have OHIP faster.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
kotsubu said:
snip
bartjones thanks for all of the information you provided on this thread. I am wondering how long an AFP decision might take. Do you have any guess about that (and/or can you update this thread when you find out)? Right now for an outbound application through the Manilla embassy the initial stage has a processing time of about a month, followed by 14 months for the second stage. Would the AFP decision be made early on in that 14 months or near the end?

My wife is Japanese and I am trying to decide what to do. I have all the documents ready to submit an outbound application this month, but a recent conversation is making me rethink that. I just talked to people at my MPs office in Toronto (I am in Toronto for graduate studies and my wife is in our house in Japan with the kids). They suggested that she just move here as a visitor, then immediately apply inbound. As soon as the initial assessment is made she can be eligible to apply for OHIP in that case. But that is around 7-9 months now. Just trying to get a sense of which way would allow my wife to have OHIP faster.
You can probably get some better advice on the inbound/outbound question on the Family Class Sponsorship forum where people with more expertise than me deal with that question a lot, but I can tell you this. That 14 month figure in Manila is just an average for all applications. Assuming your application proceeds without any issues, the time for getting your wife's PR will probably be much faster than 14 months. Looking at the spreadsheets, I would say that the time for getting PR through Manila is closer to 8-9 months if your application is complete, you're from a visa exempt country and there are no other issues. That's much faster than an inland application.

In terms of when the AFP decision is made on an outbound application, it's hard to say with any precision, however, based on the OHIP appeal cases I have read dealing with that issue, it looks like the AFP decision comes a month or two prior to the actual granting of PR. So, again, I still think your wife will get her OHIP faster with an outland application than an inland one.

My wife's case isn't really helpful in assessing OHIP waiting times as an issue surrounding an old DUI she had in Korea arose in September and has slowed our process down.

Your wife can still visit you if you do an outland application. She can stay for 6 months and probably quite easily extend that visitor's visa for a further year.

kotsubu

Feb 5, 2014
bartjones said:
Your wife can still visit you if you do an outland application. She can stay for 6 months and probably quite easily extend that visitor's visa for a further year.
Thanks for the information. I just looked at that spreadsheet and see the average time seems to be under 14 months. (But one one thread here someone suggested that people from Korea and Japan seemed to be processed slower than people applying from within The Philippines. ... who knows.)

I knew that she can come anytime and stay on a visitor visa. The problem is that we own a large (expensive) house, car, furniture, goods etc in Japan. (I lived there for 17 years.) We have to sell the house and car before she moves here for good. Then there is all of the house contents to consider. After she gets a PR she can come to Canada with a shipment of unaccompanied goods duty-free, but not until. And that is one of those things where if immigration ever knew that we/she was shipping a partial container-load it would look like she intended to move to Canada, which would be grounds for deportation. (Yes, I am applying to be a resident but I certainly have no intention of moving here...). And we have two small children, so have to think about the best time to move them (in terms of my son's school). And if my wife comes and goes as a 'visitor' for the next 15 months or so it will cost around $4000 each time (1 adult, 2 children).

So we have a lot of consider, but all-in-all I think it is likely best to apply outland. Probably just as quicker or quicker to get to the finish line, no problem with coming in and going out of the country, and (thanks to your information bartjones) apparently she can apply for OHIP before the entire process is through.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
kotsubu said:
Thanks for the information. I just looked at that spreadsheet and see the average time seems to be under 14 months. (But one one thread here someone suggested that people from Korea and Japan seemed to be processed slower than people applying from within The Philippines. ... who knows.)
I don't think that's correct. It looks to me like things have slowed down a little for all Manila applicants, no doubt due to the typhoon they had there, but I don't think the situation is specific to Japanese or Korean applicants

I knew that she can come anytime and stay on a visitor visa. The problem is that we own a large (expensive) house, car, furniture, goods etc in Japan. (I lived there for 17 years.) We have to sell the house and car before she moves here for good. Then there is all of the house contents to consider. After she gets a PR she can come to Canada with a shipment of unaccompanied goods duty-free, but not until. And that is one of those things where if immigration ever knew that we/she was shipping a partial container-load it would look like she intended to move to Canada, which would be grounds for deportation. (Yes, I am applying to be a resident but I certainly have no intention of moving here...). And we have two small children, so have to think about the best time to move them (in terms of my son's school). And if my wife comes and goes as a 'visitor' for the next 15 months or so it will cost around $4000 each time (1 adult, 2 children).
Yes, you're right. CBSA may refuse her entry if she's shipping a ton of stuff. We did this last year when we moved back however I claimed the goods as my own, so we didn't have a problem.

So we have a lot of consider, but all-in-all I think it is likely best to apply outland. Probably just as quicker or quicker to get to the finish line, no problem with coming in and going out of the country, and (thanks to your information bartjones) apparently she can apply for OHIP before the entire process is through.
Like I said, I'd encourage you to post this question over on the Family Class forum and you'll get some excellent advice there.