+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I wonder if I can sponsor my boy friend to get PR under these conditions

MikiCanada

Star Member
Sep 13, 2023
I became PR as a protected person.
I met my boy friend at a friend's party a couple months ago.
We find many things in common.
My boy friend and I just happened to have 10 years age difference.
Because I got serious harm before and face various barries, I end up in the government financial support system so far.
But I am working on getting out of the system.
My boy friend has a job but we have not yet get to the step to living together so far.
Our financial is separately which means he is not support me financially.
I was wondering if I can sponsor my bf for the PR application.
He is important for me mentally.
Does anyone have any advice?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because I got serious harm before and face various barries, I end up in the government financial support system so far.
My boy friend has a job but we have not yet get to the step to living together so far.
You cannot sponsor him since you are not married nor common law. Also being on social support makes you ineligible.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Until he is more than just your boyfriend, you cannot sponsor him. You need to either live together for one year (or longer) to then be deemed a common-law couple, or get married. Once you have done either of those, you could submit a spousal sponsorship application.

Can you clarify which "government financial support system" you are on as that could be a barrier for you.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, not at this time.

You need to be married or common law in order to sponsor. You also cannot be on social assistance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I get it now. Thank you very much. I really appreciate you.
Marriage will be fatest if this is a serious relationship. You need to live together continuously for a full year to become common law. Be aware that if you sponsor him, you will be financially responsible for him for 3 years after he lands and becomes a PR.

MikiCanada

Star Member
Sep 13, 2023
Marriage will be fatest if this is a serious relationship. You need to live together continuously for a full year to become common law. Be aware that if you sponsor him, you will be financially responsible for him for 3 years after he lands and becomes a PR.
He is already in Canada. But it seems that I need to be able financially sponsor for him. I guess that I am ineligible coz I am getting help from government atm.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He is already in Canada. But it seems that I need to be able financially sponsor for him. I guess that I am ineligible coz I am getting help from government atm.
It doesn't matter that he is already in Canada.

You cannot be on social assistance if you want to sponsor him. You would need to get off social assistance in order to sponsor him and then remain off social assistance while the application is processed.

MikiCanada

Star Member
Sep 13, 2023
It doesn't matter that he is already in Canada.

You cannot be on social assistance if you want to sponsor him. You would need to get off social assistance in order to sponsor him and then remain off social assistance while the application is processed.
I see. Well, I don't think I could get off the social assistance soon. I tried but I could not do it yet, so I am advancing my skills and capabilities atm so far. Thank you for your detailed information. That helps a lot. So turns out even if he got a job already, but I still need to show my financial capability to support him.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I see. Well, I don't think I could get off the social assistance soon. I tired but I could not do it yet, so I am advancing my skills and capabilities atm so far. Thank you for your detailed information. That helps a lot. So turns out even if he got a job already, but I still need to show my financial capability to support him.
You have to take on financial responsibility for him for a number of years so you have to be off social assistance and be working for several months before you could sponsor him. Him working is not relevant.

Reactions: MikiCanada