+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I had a car accident in Canada and I was charged , could affect PR application?

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
Hi last week I had a car accident in Canada.I was charged by the police as fail to stop on red light. I crash car and another car, the other driver is unhurt and was ok no request paramedic attention. But in my case I have a broken wrist. However I was charged as guilty of the crash and Police gave a ticket (no payed yet) This fact could affect my Permanent Residence application? and what about If I decide do not pay the ticket and go to the court to fight for a rebate of the ticket amount? I am very worry about this fatc, please any idea?

Umer221

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2017
jfalvitez said:
Hi last week I had a car accident in Canada.I was charged by the police as fail to stop on red light. I crash car and another car, the other driver is unhurt and was ok no request paramedic attention. But in my case I have a broken wrist. However I was charged as guilty of the crash and Police gave a ticket (no payed yet) This fact could affect my Permanent Residence application? and what about If I decide do not pay the ticket and go to the court to fight for a rebate of the ticket amount? I am very worry about this fatc, please any idea?
This shouldn't affect your PR. This is not a criminal offense. You should go to court for sure but still if you pay, it is not going to affect your PR.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
jfalvitez said:
I highly doubt it, since a car crash is not a criminal offense (unless you were DUI). The charge is most likely an indication of culpability for insurance purposes.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jfalvitez said:
Absolutely NOT ! thats not a criminal offense! unless if someone dies in a traffic accident you caused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OMG_Chakromakro said:
Absolutely NOT ! thats not a criminal offense! unless if someone dies in a traffic accident you caused.
Untrue. It can also be a criminal offense if alcohol was involved.

OMG_Chakromakro

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Untrue. It can also be a criminal offense if alcohol was involved.
yepp and that too, if your intoxicated and cause an accident you could be arrested

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You did not cause death or serious injury so I don't think you should be too worried about it. If they class it as dangerous driving then it can attract a prison term. Hope things work out for you. All the best.

jfalvitez

Oct 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2017
Med's Done....
12-01-2017
And if I go to the court to fight the ticket? Its expensive and I dontnhave money I can't work with a broken arm.

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
jfalvitez said:
This would not affect your permanent resident status once you were not cared with DUI. But you can fight the ticket. If you need more information give me a call or shoot me a text, i will inbox you my number.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jfalvitez said:
And if I go to the court to fight the ticket? Its expensive and I dontnhave money I can't work with a broken arm.
You didn't stop at the red light and still want to fight the ticket?

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
Alexios07 said:
You didn't stop at the red light and still want to fight the ticket?
why wouldnt you want to fight it? plus you may wanna plead guilty for a lesser charge

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
MonzB said:
why wouldnt you want to fight it? plus you may wanna plead guilty for a lesser charge
Because when you run a red light, typically it's your fault.

canada19881

Star Member
Jan 12, 2017
True! Typically it is , However ,there are some things that can cause this like , weather conditions, medical conditions etc etc.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
canada19881 said:
True! Typically it is , However ,there are some things that can cause this like , weather conditions, medical conditions etc etc.
Good thinking. But these things are better said legally by an attorney in court. If you want reduction of charges, you could achieve that spending $$$$.

MonzB

Nov 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NOVA SCOTIA
App. Filed.......
November 1, 2017
DEEPCUR said:
Good thinking. But these things are better said legally by an attorney in court. If you want reduction of charges, you could achieve that spending $$$$.
Wrong I work in the Personal Injury Field and see things like this all the time...you don't need an attorney. You can appeal the ticket and then either speak to the prosecutor before the court date and try to get the ticket reduced and if points are involve try to get it waived. OR you can appear in court as a self-rep and plead guilty for a lesser charge.

Doesn't affect your PR stuff what so ever unless it's a DUI.