Med's Done....
Mar 13, 2010
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 07, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec 18. 2010
Great thread and a good discussion. Thanks for all the information.

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
THE BOTTOM LINE IS TRY TO DO ANY JOB YOU GET ONCE YOU LAND IN CANADA, DON'T WAIT FOR THE RIGHT JOB TO COME THROUGH, EACH SINGLE CENT COUNTS, TRY TO SAVE THOSE POF AND EXTRA BUCKS YOU WISH TO CARRY WITH YOU TO CANADA.

THE MORE YOU HAVE EGO, THE MORE YOU ARE GOING TO SUFFER, BETTER STAY IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY. START FROM SCRATCH AND YOU WILL SUCCEED. JUST A MATTER OF 9-12 MONTHS AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE. GOD IS WITH THOSE WHO WORK REALLY HARD.

Hopeful Canadian

Star Member
Jul 11, 2008
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-04-2010 RCVD: 13-04-2010
Doc's Request.
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
04-03-2011
IELTS Request
20-07-2011 L8.5, R6.5, W7.5, S7.0
Med's Request
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
06-10-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-06-2016
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

Capt. Stan Dutta
(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)
@ Qorex

Thank you very much - a very good and informative post . In fact it was needed to be done.

I again appreciate it.

Can you elaborate what you sai dabout Doctors in Canada?
The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.
I mean the 4year thing - what do you mean by that?

Always Hopeful

Hopeful Canadian

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear ALWAYS HOPEFUL-HOPEFUL CANADIAN,
I really very much like your tagline...

As I understand, Newcomer Doctors are one of the most 'difficult to settle down' lot in Canada. Though a very noble profession & much 'in demand' here, yet they are the hardest hit. U see, the medical profession is completely 'regulated occupation' here. No matter howsoever qualified [even if s/he is a MD], doctors need to redo their studies in Canada.

First, they have to do a 'bridging' course, which is of 3-4yrs duration [if I'm not wrong], then they need to do an 'internship' under a medical practitioner, which is of 1yr. And only thereafter, they are permitted to 'practice' in Canada.

Unfortunately, even if a doctor succeeds to do his Canadian quals, it is extremely difficult to pursue the internship. Getting a settled practitioner to certify u is next to impossible under the present conditions. I have known doctors, who landed, but couldn't do the same till over 10-15yrs. I also know of doctor cases who just migrated to another profession altogether, having tried for a few yrs. There are few more who are doing medical related jobs [including Nursing, Medical Rep etc.], but not working as a doctor.

Again, I might be wrong in generalizing. There may be many doctors who are pursuing their medical careers. But, this is what I know about the situation.

Qorax

Hopeful Canadian

Star Member
Jul 11, 2008
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-04-2010 RCVD: 13-04-2010
Doc's Request.
26-10-2010
AOR Received.
04-03-2011
IELTS Request
20-07-2011 L8.5, R6.5, W7.5, S7.0
Med's Request
05-06-2015
Med's Done....
06-10-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-11-2015
LANDED..........
21-06-2016
qorax said:
Dear ALWAYS HOPEFUL-HOPEFUL CANADIAN,
I really very much like your tagline...

As I understand, Newcomer Doctors are one of the most 'difficult to settle down' lot in Canada. Though a very noble profession & much 'in demand' here, yet they are the hardest hit. U see, the medical profession is completely 'regulated occupation' here. No matter howsoever qualified [even if s/he is a MD], doctors need to redo their studies in Canada.

First, they have to do a 'bridging' course, which is of 3-4yrs duration [if I'm not wrong], then they need to do an 'internship' under a medical practitioner, which is of 1yr. And only thereafter, they are permitted to 'practice' in Canada.

Unfortunately, even if a doctor succeeds to do his Canadian quals, it is extremely difficult to pursue the internship. Getting a settled practitioner to certify u is next to impossible under the present conditions. I have known doctors, who landed, but couldn't do the same till over 10-15yrs. I also know of doctor cases who just migrated to another profession altogether, having tried for a few yrs. There are few more who are doing medical related jobs [including Nursing, Medical Rep etc.], but not working as a doctor.

Again, I might be wrong in generalizing. There may be many doctors who are pursuing their medical careers. But, this is what I know about the situation.

Qorax
Qorex

That was informative and eye opener as well.

Nobody can get all form time. Maybe some get something and some dont get something but what I have learnt form Life is that

HE WHO NEVER GIVES UP IS GOING TO WIN IN THE LONG RUN AFTERALL

I always write it in my Tagline to remind me of the Fact that I have to Never Give In.

Thank You for your encouragement dear friend.

Always Hopeful

Hopeful Canadian

bhaveshenee

Oct 23, 2009
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2010
Dear Qorax,
Can you add something regarding the Engineers i.e Electrical Engineer....... Please do the needful

Regards,

bhaveshenee

Oct 23, 2009
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2010
dear friend, can you please throw some lights on this...

Regards,

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bhaveshenee said:
Dear Qorax,
Can you add something regarding the Engineers i.e Electrical Engineer....... Please do the needful

Regards,
Hi Bhavesh,

As I understand, like Accountants, Doctors etc. Engineers also face tremendous challenges -initially in Canada. You see, engineering is too a 'regulated' occupation -which needs 'Canadian Qualifications' [unfortunately] to perform in their field of job.

Thus, 're-training' is the norm for u guys if u want to grow in your field. Our BTech, BE & even the Indian coveted IIT might just not help us here [though it does in the US]. A wise thing would be to [1] either get an Engineering Degree inside Canada, or [2] Get Canadian Certifications (including some bridging courses).

As with most of 'foreign' qual & experience ppl, we too would need to 'accept', other [non-regulated] jobs for few years, before we gain some experience & get into the re-training tasks. We might get some technical jobs, but not that as an 'engineer'. That's the real scenario.

Regards,
Qorax

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
Hi Qorax,

What about international certificates like CCNA, CCNP, MCSE from India, are they valid in Canada or do we have to do them again as well? What is the scope of Networking Engineers in Canada?

bhaveshenee

Oct 23, 2009
INDIA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2010
qorax said:
Hi Bhavesh,

As I understand, like Accountants, Doctors etc. Engineers also face tremendous challenges -initially in Canada. You see, engineering is too a 'regulated' occupation -which needs 'Canadian Qualifications' [unfortunately] to perform in their field of job.

Thus, 're-training' is the norm for u guys if u want to grow in your field. Our BTech, BE & even the Indian coveted IIT might just not help us here [though it does in the US]. A wise thing would be to [1] either get an Engineering Degree inside Canada, or [2] Get Canadian Certifications (including some bridging courses).

As with most of 'foreign' qual & experience ppl, we too would need to 'accept', other [non-regulated] jobs for few years, before we gain some experience & get into the re-training tasks. We might get some technical jobs, but not that as an 'engineer'. That's the real scenario.

Regards,
Qorax
Friend ,
Do you have any idea about which certification exams have to be given.. or how much does the education cost there or even the cost of Certification...

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bhaveshenee said:
Friend ,
Do you have any idea about which certification exams have to be given.. or how much does the education cost there or even the cost of Certification...
Hi, as I thought to write a bit in detail, I posted a separate thread on the subject. U may like to read here...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/engineers-with-foreign-quals-how-to-succeed-t37451.0.html

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
Hi Qorax,

What about international certificates like CCNA, CCNP, MCSE from India, are they valid in Canada or do we have to do them again as well? What is the scope of Networking Engineers in Canada?

johny artist

Star Member
Dec 15, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need to do it again as they have same credential all over the world. However, you may upgrade them in Canada.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi all,

Check Nick Noorani's video on the subject here: