Jul 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very good info guys.

I have a bunch of questions about this topic:
On stage 2 and 3, you'll be spending a lot of time Job Hunting. Now this is going to require us to go on leave to go to an interview. What is the best way to manage this? Do the employers usually schedule interviews via phone, weekends, or after office hours?

Shall we get certifiction in our field while we're not yet in Canada? (assuming there is PPR already)

And I'm presently sailing in two fields right now, 0213 and Engineering (Manufacturing/Semicon) what shall I prioritize in my job hunt?

Thanks in advance!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear CoolEJ,

1. How to go for interviews in the initial stages:
No one will give us an off for these interviews, we'll have to find time ourselves. If on a shift duty, we may ask the prospective employer to arrange it during our off-shift time. Else, we may have to take a break. If the employer is kind, he'll allow. But yes, we'll lose on the hourly pay. Phone, weekends etc is not regularly done, however, it's sure a possibility.

2. Certification prior to landing:
Yes, why not? Anything is always better than nothing. You may start asap for acquiring as many quals as possible. But, some of it may only be done while at Canada. Especially, in 'regulated occupations'.

3. Sailing in 2 fields:
Anyone of your 2 fields should be Ok. It's one's own choice. The initial stages (1 & 2) are not field specific, though we may like to be in one. The idea is to grab a job at the earliest, firstly. Importantly, to save our landing funds.

Hope that helps.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Here's the article which COCOSTING was referring to:
----------------------------------------------------------
Job Hunting -Particularly Hard For Educated New Immigrants

By : Suzanne Fournier, Canwest News Service
Dt : November 25, 2009

VANCOUVER - Jerry Wang knows first-hand the hard, cold facts of a recent Statistics Canada report that found two-thirds of university-educated new immigrants find it hard to get paid work in their field. Armed with a University of Western Ontario business degree, Wang, 28, searched for a job in Vancouver for two years after his 2004 graduation, but then was forced to go to Shanghai to get work experience in financial analysis and real estate...

"It's hard, because in the business world, you have to know people and build up a network and, even though I have a business degree and experience, all I'm being offered is sales jobs or selling bonds," said Wang, who took a two-week employment course offered through S.U.C.C.E.S.S. -a British Columbia program to help new immigrants...

Veronica Grigio, who emigrated to Canada from Argentina five months ago with a university degree in anthropology, landed a job as a receptionist at the Italian Cultural Centre. Grigio, 28, plans to go to university in Vancouver to further her education and get a job in her field.

"I know it is a struggle to get the right job . . . I am interested in studies and a career in medical anthropology," said Grigio, who adds that she appreciates the receptionist job she has "because I'm able to meet a lot of people."

The StatsCan report, based on labour data from 2008, found two-thirds of university-educated new immigrants were forced to take part-time or temporary work, lower-paid jobs or more than one job. There are physicians working as cabbies, anthropologists applying at Tim Hortons and engineers who bus tables.

Canadian-born graduates with a university degree, aged 25 to 54, also tended to be under-employed but the job market was almost twice as bad for new immigrants. Average weekly wages were $23.72 per hour for Canadian-born workers in the core working age group of 25 to 54, which was $2.28 more than that of immigrant workers, according to the report...

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, though, because new immigrants who work hard on language skills and credentials do start to get the jobs they are searching for, over time and with help," noted Ronald MA, a manager at S.U.C.C.E.S.S. -who runs pre-employment programs.

Vancouver Province
sfournier @ theprovince.com

----------------------------------------------------------

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excuse me if I sound too concentrated around 0213

In my case I have worked in four different areas (same filed but different verticals) and have tried to figure out which of these areas has maximum potential for finding a job.

One thing that I figured out was that even though 38 occupation list managers (0213) actually there is very little chance of finding such role in Canada. The more technical (hands on) you are better are the chances to find the job. A Canadian citizen born in Canada, who is Manager (in my field) with a PMP and high flying certificate in information security told me that they can find too many people in Manager's profile and they are looking for technical people and my best bet would to prepare my self with hands on tech certificates rather than Managerial certs (PMP, ITIL, CISM) if I want to be job ready

Also most of the jobs do not get published these days (recession to blame) so networking with people in the same field and recruiters is going to help a great deal. Also as if you have worked in different areas, pick two most technical areas, do the international certifications around them and start posting on job sites as even before landing. Customer care and Technical Support can be two job profiles that can be targeted till job in own field is available

As rupesh mentioned in one of the posts, soft skills are really important as well. What ever time is there before we land in Canada we should ensure that we work in our current jobs and place our selves to be job ready when we arrive in Canada

eemmoo

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
working on document update
Doc's Request.
09-02-2010
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

Capt. Stan Dutta
(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)

Excellent analysis

pooja82

Oct 10, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2009
Doc's Request.
05-02-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
In Process
Med's Request
22-06-2012 (received 2nd July 2012)
Med's Done....
10-07-2012 (received by CHC London 16th July 2012)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31st Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
10th Dec 2012
LANDED..........
Sometime in March, April :-)
gr8t peice of info
cheers to all of you

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Quorax,cocsting,ankit,josh et al.

Everything has been taken on board and noted.I studied in the UK and really do know and understand ,how living and surviving abroad it.There is time for evrything but most importantly we need information,which we are priviledge to in this forum.Thanks

Ig

irshad2005

Feb 22, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2010
Hey Guys,

Its always difficult to find the first job....Even if we are in India (Me in Mumbai) and i have a good pay and a good job here but i want to go to canada coz i love it.
But the thing is that if i leave my job then it would be even difficlut for me to search for another job.
Finding the first job is the most difficult part....Once we have our first job then we can easily get a another one and we also have confidence in looking out for jobs :)
So we should be brave enough to take risks and risks do offer you a good deal.....
But to find a good job we should be a master of what we wanna work and better then every1 to survive.

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
QORAX, YOU ARE REALLY HELPFUL!
First of all, I want to say that this is especially for those who have poor feelings regarding Canadian Job Market. The bottom line is :

"LEAVE YOUR EGO IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY."

In countries like US, Canada, etc. , there is no classification of labor, who is superior and who is inferior. This is the main reason they are so developed today. We should stop crap mentality and look for the future. I second with Qorax that do any job you get to first survive, and then after settling down, look for the job of your choice. Dont be shy to do a blue collar job, if you have any, please stay in your own country. Even getting job in your home country is not easy, then how come in a new country with totally separate culture and accent.

Thanks Qorax for starting this thread.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
YI,

U have set the point absolutely right. Nailed it correctly... what's the point in waiting for the eventuality, by then go high-dry? Yes, one should take a 'survival job' asap & save those greenbacks. Rather than dreaming of the utopia, that might just not come by [foolhardy, I'd say] & end-up in a mess. Wherein, s/he might still fall back for that [presumed] inconceivable job... alas with empty pockets!

It's all about commencement of 'work' that shall lead us to a better placement. While no work-equals-no money-equals-low self esteem-equals-poorer choices-equals-bad decisions-equals-back to square one. And then where the 'honey' would go w/out 'money' is anyone's guess!

Thus, my advice to everyone [newcomers]... take that 1st job. Happiness shall follow! With the funds being intact, the satisfaction that will accrue is immeasurable. And that will lead to a +ve outlook & eventually we'll succeed.

No offenses to anyone here.
Qorax.

Rajan01

Star Member
Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New- delhi
NOC Code......
4211&4112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-06
Doc's Request.
waiting
AOR Received.
06-09-06
qorax said:
YI,

U have set the point absolutely right. Nailed it correctly... what's the point in waiting for the eventuality, by then go high-dry? Yes, one should take a 'survival job' asap & save those greenbacks. Rather than dreaming of the utopia, that might just not come by [foolhardy, I'd say] & end-up in a mess. Wherein, s/he might still fall back for that [presumed] inconceivable job... alas with empty pockets!

It's all about commencement of 'work' that shall lead us to a better placement. While no work-equals-no money-equals-low self esteem-equals-poorer choices-equals-bad decisions-equals-back to square one. And then where the 'honey' would go w/out 'money' is anyone's guess!

Thus, my advice to everyone [newcomers]... take that 1st job. Happiness shall follow! With the funds being intact, the satisfaction that will accrue is immeasurable. And that will lead to a +ve outlook & eventually we'll succeed.

No offenses to anyone here.
Qorax.
I think this is the nutshell of all the arguments.
Thanks!
Rajan

Rajan01

Star Member
Jan 23, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New- delhi
NOC Code......
4211&4112
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-06
Doc's Request.
waiting
AOR Received.
06-09-06
Hi,
More information for newcomers on the CIC site regarding :-Where you can get free
language classes,Where you can get your credentials assessed, Adjusting to life in
Canada, Finding a job, Housing,Money,Education,Transportation, Health care and
recognized and also Checklist: What you should do upon arrival in Canada and support
for adjusting to life in Canada? For more information visit the following site.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp

Regards!
Rajan

irshad2005

Feb 22, 2010
Mumbai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2009
Doc's Request.
18-02-2010
AOR Received.
18-02-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2010
You are absolutely right qorax....
Perfect.....

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
Excellent Post, Analytical and Realistic.

jsp

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks qorax for providing such a detailed information.

other members who had landed there, keep posting us ur experience.

regards