+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Send Passport for PR Stamping from Outside of Canada to CIC

nik6

Nov 3, 2012
Hi there,

I am Nik. I have my application for Permanent Residency (Provincial Nominee Category) going on and just now I got my much awaited passport call for final PR Stamping. I am principal applicant and my wife is dependent applicant.

As per email I should send my passport along with my wife’s passport to Ottawa. But my problem is I am based in Canada and she is in India. So she cannot send her passport to Canada, until CIC gives a letter saying so. No other person can carry her passport to Canada as this is illegal.

So, problem is that how my wife should send her passport to CPP Ottawa? Both of our passport should reach together. I only have 60 days to submit passport or otherwise, they will reject my application.

I so much am worried. Please help.

And what is the general procedure of submitting passports in such a case?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most people probably cheat and mail the passports anyway, even though it is illegal or they send them via DHL or similar without telling the courier that there is a passport inside.

India is the only country I know of that has rules against mailing passports so this is not a problem for most people.

nik6

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks Leon for the reply.

But is it advisable? I sense a risk. And since it is passport, my mind is not confident over this.

And leon, what is the general procedure of submitting passports in such a case? I am sure, I won't be the first person with such an issue.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nik6 said:
Thanks Leon for the reply.

But is it advisable? I sense a risk. And since it is passport, my mind is not confident over this.

And leon, what is the general procedure of submitting passports in such a case? I am sure, I won't be the first person with such an issue.
What choice do you have? Can your wife bring the passport to Canada? She would need a visa. Or can you go to your wife and collect your passport yourself?

I am sure you are not the first person with such an issue and like I said, from what I know, other people have mailed them anyway or sent them with UPS or DHL or possibly asked somebody they know who is travelling to take it along.

nik6

Nov 3, 2012
Right now, I am in India.

And just now, my friend asked to DHL Canada and they said no passport can be send back from Canada to India by any normal person. It can be done through one Embassy to Another.

So, even if I fly back to canada carrying my wife's passport, how would I send back her passport to India, once Stamping is finished.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nik6 said:
Right now, I am in India.

And just now, my friend asked to DHL Canada and they said no passport can be send back from Canada to India by any normal person. It can be done through one Embassy to Another.

So, even if I fly back to canada carrying my wife's passport, how would I send back her passport to India, once Stamping is finished.
Of course they are not going to let you send a passport with DHL if you tell them it is a passport. They know it is illegal. If you use DHL, you would have to state documents inside, not passport. It's still illegal but I have no idea what kind of trouble you could have with the law in India if you are caught. I am not from India but I am sure there are websites you can look up to find out about it.

If you take the passport to Canada yourself for stamping, you do of course have the option to courier it yourself back to your wife.

Another option would be to apply for a TRV for your wife right now so she can bring the passport herself and stay with you in Canada until she gets it back.

rock_khan

Jul 2, 2011
Kuwait
Visa Office......
London.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/8/09
Doc's Request.
5/5/10
IELTS Request
N/R
Med's Request
7/1/13
Med's Done....
20/1/13
Interview........
19/11/12
Passport Req..
26/07/13
VISA ISSUED...
01/09/13
LANDED..........
23/09/13
@nik6 : My friend if you donot want to take risk by sending passports through mail then the only option you have is to spend money ;

Take your wife passport along and goto Canada and submit in person,once you get the passports back in hand so fly back to India with her passport aswell.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
A relative has to be human courier, thats the safest way - if you look at back of passport, it says "can be carried with authorization" although they mean within country but not clear about overseas. Take an auth letter and hope not to get caught

nik6

Nov 3, 2012
In India, only Blue Dart (via DHL) has authority to send passport out of country. But they need a letter from Canadian Embassy giving them authority for the same. I am trying to get such letter right now. Suppose, if I get such a letter, do you think there will be any risk of getting it back?. I will also include prepaid return mail envelope with it.

Just now, I also got response from Ottawa office and they only said try any alternative means to send passport from India to Canada.

###

And if I choose second option of taking my wife's passport with her authority to Canada, what would you suggest... should I keep it in my handbag or in wallet or in my luggage bag? Where should I keep my wife's passport to save myself from getting caught?

P.S.: Thank you all for your responses.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take a copy of the letter from CIC requesting the passport and get a letter from your wife stating that you are her husband and she is allowing you to carry it. Keep it on your person to avoid it getting lost.

SAMRIZ79

Sep 16, 2013
Hi NIk6
I have a same case like you
I am in India now and my wife is in canada and we have got Passport call from PCC-Ottawa.But as u know that we cant send India passport to other country by courior.
So please advice me if your have find any legal solution for this matter.

I am really awaited for your reply.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Mailing is risk either ways, its not upto DHL or BlueDart, they can carry but if Indian customs catches it - you are doomed
Best and safest is human courier in the luggage ( with letter of consent from wife and CIC papers ) for that just in case situation
This goes both ways

rimpal

Dec 12, 2013
Hi
Applicants outside India or Nepal should be aware of Indian laws restricting sending of passports across international borders. You must either deposit your passport at a VFS office within India or Nepal or send your passport by courier to the visa office. If you choose to send your passport by courier, you must provide a return mailing address within India or Nepal, as they cannot send passports to any other country, including Canada.

Please also be aware that passports submitted by courier or in person may be subject to significantly longer processing times.
rimpal

PP323

Star Member
Oct 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Oct-2013
Doc's Request.
11-Oct-2013
AOR Received.
22-Nov-2013
LANDED..........
13-09-2014
Hi Guys,

I am also going to be in similar situation for VISA stamping.

I am currently in Canada (principle applicant on PR) but my wife is back in India. Is it possible to get VISA stamp for her in India and I do my processing in Ottawa?

Also, I am trying arrange one of my friend to bring my wife's passport who is expecting to travel to Canada, but Is it legal for him to do so? I read somewhere in forum that an authorized person can take it, but I was wondering what is definition of authorized person? I mean how to make him authorized? any form need to be filled or notary or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated

sugariris

Feb 5, 2012
i have similar concern. kindly pls advise on what u did for the visa stamping. im here in vancouver while my husband and daughter is in the Philippines. Thanks.