+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to return CBP-I94A Departure Record Form (USA)

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi forumers,

How can I return the CBP-I94A Departure Record form? When I first entered US Buffalo border by car the US Border Officer gave me this form. But when I came back to Canada 2 days after my trip to Buffalo, the Canada Border Officer didn't get the form and there's no stamp at all that I entered back to Canada. If I'm not mistaken the US Border Officer told me that I should return the form and upon reading the back of this form it says here"Important-Retain this permit in your possession; you must surrender it when you leave the US. Failure to do so may delay your entry into the US in the future" Now, how can I return the said form? The expiry on it will be on March 5, 2013. And as of the moment I don't have plans for a trip to the US before March 2013. Thank you.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Honeysweetie, if you don't have any more trip to USA, you can return the departure record at the Toronto Persona airport. Go to the Departure level at Terminal one and you will find the US Customs and Immigration where the departing passengers to USA are screened. At their reception desk there will be any staff who will be pleased to get it or you can leave it in the drop box in front of their counter. If you are not able to go there personally you may entrust a reliable person to do it on behalf.

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wilson said:
Hi Honeysweetie, if you don't have any more trip to USA, you can return the departure record at the Toronto Persona airport. Go to the Departure level at Terminal one and you will find the US Customs and Immigration where the departing passengers to USA are screened. At their reception desk there will be any staff who will be pleased to get it or you can leave it in the drop box in front of their counter. If you are not able to go there personally you may entrust a reliable person to do it on behalf.
Thanks Wilson. Does that mean they don't give you any stamp/receipt that they get the form? Do you have any idea if I can mail it thru canada post? Thanks again.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
honeysweetie said:
Thanks Wilson. Does that mean they don't give you any stamp/receipt that they get the form? Do you have any idea if I can mail it thru canada post? Thanks again.
You are welcome honeysweetie,

No receipt. Even at POE or departing airports in US you won't get a receipt or stamp.

If you cannot go to the airport, then you may send it by Canada post together with a letter of explanation and evidence of your departure from USA and copy of your passport including the visa page..

If you returned by car probably you don't have any evidence. In such case, you can enclose any proof:

Dated pay stuff from Canadian employer

Dated bank statement, credit card statement or shopping bills in Canada.

Send by post to:

DHS - CBP SBU
1084 South Laurel Road
London
KY 40744
USA

mpbnrocker

Feb 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2012
AOR Received.
07-09-2012
File Transfer...
07-09-2012
Med's Done....
12-06-2012
Can I return it on the airport even when the I-94 had expired ?

evinecz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
BUMP,
Can anyone help me with this? went to buffalo today and returned, officer didnt take the i94 form. Where in Toronto Pearson can i return this?

shobhitpuri

Sep 17, 2013
wilson said:
You are welcome honeysweetie,

No receipt. Even at POE or departing airports in US you won't get a receipt or stamp.

If you cannot go to the airport, then you may send it by Canada post together with a letter of explanation and evidence of your departure from USA and copy of your passport including the visa page..

If you returned by car probably you don't have any evidence. In such case, you can enclose any proof:

Dated pay stuff from Canadian employer

Dated bank statement, credit card statement or shopping bills in Canada.

Send by post to:

DHS - CBP SBU
1084 South Laurel Road
London
KY 40744
USA
@wilson Thanks for all your help. Like you mentioned, what I could read from help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1674/~/report-departure-if-entering-by-air-and-departing-by-land and help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94 is that the way is to mail it to their US address giving proof that one has left USA and an explanation. But you mention that I can return it at the Toronto airport without having problems re-entering US in future? Did you end up doing it some time? I couldn't find this written anywhere, so just was confirming. I'll appreciate your response.

Best Regards

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
shobhitpuri said:
@wilson Thanks for all your help. Like you mentioned, what I could read from help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1674/~/report-departure-if-entering-by-air-and-departing-by-land and help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94 is that the way is to mail it to their US address giving proof that one has left USA and an explanation. But you mention that I can return it at the Toronto airport without having problems re-entering US in future? Did you end up doing it some time? I couldn't find this written anywhere, so just was confirming. I'll appreciate your response.

Best Regards
Hi all,

i'm also in the same boat, recently arrived from a vacation in the US via land border and nobody took my i94. I like the idea of returning it at pearson, i think its more convenient than mailing it to the US. Did anyone try it recently? is this the right thing to do?

shobhitpuri

Sep 17, 2013
I called them in US and they told me to return it to US along with some other documents proving your departure at that date. They said that's the only valid way. You can see on their website your records of exit and entries to US. Previously it was not showing my exit. After I mailed all the documents to US, I waited for couple of weeks before it shows there. I would suggest to go through the proper process if you want to be sure. Rest is up to your discretion. Hope this helps.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shobhitpuri said:
They said that's the only valid way. You can see on their website your records of exit and entries to US.
No, it's not the only valid way. You can hand it to the CBSA officer at the land border when you leave the US.

arundasp

May 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
07-12-2014
Med's Request
20-02-2015
Med's Done....
28-02-2015 3rd line updated on March 10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-04-2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully by August.
Hi,

I forgot to return my I -94 on my return from US on Jan 3rd 2016. It is valid up to June 22nd. Do I need to send it to US officials if I have a plan to re-visit US before June ?

Thanks
Arun

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arundasp said:
Hi,

I forgot to return my I -94 on my return from US on Jan 3rd 2016. It is valid up to June 22nd. Do I need to send it to US officials if I have a plan to re-visit US before June ?

Thanks
Arun
No. Just return it to before the expiry date.

akhil5293

Sep 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Yes
Passport Req..
15-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-16
LANDED..........
30-12-16
Guys I have the same issue!! I just realized that I have that permit from last year and half, I am not working and on a temporary status in Canada! What I suppose to do!!!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
akhil5293 said:
Guys I have the same issue!! I just realized that I have that permit from last year and half, I am not working and on a temporary status in Canada! What I suppose to do!!!
Did your I-94 expire already?

akhil5293

Sep 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Yes
Passport Req..
15-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-16
LANDED..........
30-12-16
Yeah its been expired an year ago!!

I was't aware to returning/surrender at the port of entry, while coming back, they ask for my passport and allow me to come back!!

I checked the online status, it shows the arrival date and port of entry plus departure date "no port pf entry" I don't know what it means ???

Reactions: mandeep.127