How to re-enter Canada before PR card?

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

So we landed Sep 14 in Toronto, and recently booked a trip to NYC on 17 Nov for 10 days.
We booked the flights initially thinking we're good on time; officers told us to expect PR card within 6-8 weeks when we'd landed, and even with the current posted processing time of 61 days we should be Ok.

However, reading the "Track your PR card timeline and processing times here" thread, the majority of people seem to be getting requests for new photos, delaying the PR card by another 2 months. Since there's no reason to believe this won't happen to us too, I'm trying to look at our options.

- Is it really possible to re-enter Canada via land border with only COPR and while using public transport (bus/train/etc, we don't have a driver's license)? Will probably travel via Niagara Falls or Buffalo.
- Has anyone had to go down the PRTD route? I looked at it and it seems can only apply when you're outside Canada, and I read that the processing time is a month so it isn't really a great option while we plan to stay in NYC for only 10 days. Anyone got more info on this?

Canceling flights is unfortunately not an option :(
Many thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- You would need to enter by private vehicle (not bus or train). One option would be to have a friend with a car pick you up and drive you over. Another option would be to take a taxi to the border and then walk over.
- Correct. You can only apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. Processing times vary from a few days to more. It's certainly possible you may be able to get a PRTD within 10 days - but not guaranteed unfortunately.

Reactions: Ufa6174

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
- You would need to enter by private vehicle (not bus or train). One option would be to have a friend with a car pick you up and drive you over. Another option would be to take a taxi to the border and then walk over.
- Correct. You can only apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. Processing times vary from a few days to more. It's certainly possible you may be able to get a PRTD within 10 days - but not guaranteed unfortunately.
Thanks! That is very comforting.
Hope to hear from others who's done this recently in particular. Everywhere official you read you can only pass with a PR card; airports and land crossing alike.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I did this four days ago. I drove into Canada on Monday (in my own car), and the CBSA official only asked for my passport. I had my COPR ready, but he said he didn't need it. He took all of 1 minute to let us in, it was very smooth and easy.

If you can make it to the Canadian border, they will let you in with your passport and your COPR. In fact, they don't even really ask for the COPR, they just need the passport (as long as it's the same passport you first entered Canada on). As a Permanent Resident, they are required to let you in - as long as your passport proves that you are a PR, they will not stop you.

However, the tricky bit is getting to the border. If you aren't walking across (Rainbow Bridge, for e.g), or driving in a private vehicle, you will be turned away by the commercial carrier - the airline, bus operator, train, whatever. They cannot take you across the border if you don't have a Visa, a PR Card, or a PRTD.

So, you could go to the US, then take a bus to Buffalo/Niagara, and then walk across the Rainbow Bridge, and you'll be totally OK.

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did this four days ago. I drove into Canada on Monday (in my own car), and the CBSA official only asked for my passport. I had my COPR ready, but he said he didn't need it. He took all of 1 minute to let us in, it was very smooth and easy.

If you can make it to the Canadian border, they will let you in with your passport and your COPR. In fact, they don't even really ask for the COPR, they just need the passport (as long as it's the same passport you first entered Canada on). As a Permanent Resident, they are required to let you in - as long as your passport proves that you are a PR, they will not stop you.

However, the tricky bit is getting to the border. If you aren't walking across (Rainbow Bridge, for e.g), or driving in a private vehicle, you will be turned away by the commercial carrier - the airline, bus operator, train, whatever. They cannot take you across the border if you don't have a Visa, a PR Card, or a PRTD.

So, you could go to the US, then take a bus to Buffalo/Niagara, and then walk across the Rainbow Bridge, and you'll be totally OK.
This is very reassuring. Thanks a lot man/woman.

Baahubali

May 18, 2017
As a Permanent Resident, they are required to let you in - as long as your passport proves that you are a PR, they will not stop you.
Hi, I am just curious about this part. How does your passport prove that you are a PR? Do you mean the immigrant visa that comes with CoPR or do they stamp your passport second time when landing with a 5 year PR stamp? I will be landing in couple of months.

Thanks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi, I am just curious about this part. How does your passport prove that you are a PR? Do you mean the immigrant visa that comes with CoPR or do they stamp your passport second time when landing with a 5 year PR stamp? I will be landing in couple of months.

Thanks.
No, they don't stamp your passport. They simply look up your passport number on their computer - that confirms that passport XYZ belongs to a PR.

Reactions: Baahubali

AP1985

Apr 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

Just a small clarification, I recently got my COPR and planning to land in canada in few months. My COPR is watermarked not for travel purpose and the stamped visa on passport states # of entries as 1 will that effect re-entering Canada ? would appreciate if anybody else can also share their experience. I along with my wife and infant daughter are planning to travel to US rite after our landing, is there a possibility that I can re-enter Canada (with same COPR and passport only) via land route using rented car/bus/taxi/my friend or relative (US green card holder) can drop ?.

If not, should I goto US first and enter canada (1st entry) via land route in order to avoid risk of re-entering ? Pls advice.

regards,

Reactions: andy1011