+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How prior i can enter canada with my study visa before my program starts?

RupeshBhoir9

May 15, 2017
My program is starting on 5th September 2017 and I am planning to go 1.5 months prior in mid July.
Is it safe or there are chances of getting refused to enter early?

Reactions: Onemail

Onemail

Oct 29, 2014
Im sure you can travel as soon as your documents are issued for as long as you have enough funds to support yourself and accommodation arranged. I arrived in October 2015 starting January 2016

Reactions: RupeshBhoir9

RupeshBhoir9

May 15, 2017
Im sure you can travel as soon as your documents are issued for as long as you have enough funds to support yourself and accommodation arranged. I arrived in October 2015 starting January 2016
What all questions/documents did border officer asked you?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The official guidance is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving.asp and any questions will use this as the base.

Arriving 6 weeks before is nothing to worry about really as long as you can show if asked that you can support yourself and that you are arriving early to sort out accommodation, banking, SIN and so on. Be aware that you cannot work until your course starts.

Main thing is to not over think what CBSA may or may not ask and you will be fine

Onemail

Oct 29, 2014
I just gave him my passport and documents(letters of acceptance from uni and visa office) and he printed my study permit..........he asked one question "Whats your undergraduate degree?"

Last edited:

Mishu9804

Feb 10, 2018
Hello, I've applied to York university for Sept 2019 and got Visa approved before 12 hours. I've booked my ticket of 22nd June, so is it okay to travel two month prior to intake? I've my grandfather there who's gonna sponsor me for rest of my studies so my accomodation things are cleared rest I'm gonna bring 2000$ too so will it get any problem while immigration during landing over there? Please I'm scared because I've heard few stories that students were deported and also they have brought only $400-$600.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your study permit was approved in 24 hours? Have you sent in your passport? Yes you may be questioned on why you are arriving so early without much money but you already booked your flight. Yo can't work until you start school.

Mishu9804

Feb 10, 2018
Your study permit was approved in 24 hours? Have you sent in your passport? Yes you may be questioned on why you are arriving so early without much money but you already booked your flight. Yo can't work until you start school.
In 12 hours, so $2000 isn't much to sustain there For two months? And even my grandpa gonna sponsor me I'm gonna stay with them

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In 12 hours, so $2000 isn't much to sustain there For two months? And even my grandpa gonna sponsor me I'm gonna stay with them
2K isn't a lot but you are staying with family. Can't tell you what will happen. You already have the ticket and you will likely be fine but for other who may be watching 6 weeks or less is encouraged.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
There is no way your study permit was approved in 12 hours. That's impossible. Takes longer than that for them to read it. The officer may let you in, but may not. In my opinion as you are staying with family, you should be ok.

-user-name-

Apr 13, 2019
2K isn't a lot but you are staying with family. Can't tell you what will happen. You already have the ticket and you will likely be fine but for other who may be watching 6 weeks or less is encouraged.
Hey if my classes are starting from 3rd sept can i reach canada by 12th or 13 th aug?
And is there any website where its mentioned that one can reach canada within 6 weeks.
Just for confirmation
Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey if my classes are starting from 3rd sept can i reach canada by 12th or 13 th aug?
And is there any website where its mentioned that one can reach canada within 6 weeks.
Just for confirmation
Thanks
There is no specific written guidance that am aware of other than common sense implies that CBSA would have a concern if someone arrives too early with limited funds which could imply they would need to work before classes start.

Arriving 12/13 August for 3 Sept start should be fine although should expect CBSA to ask how you are funding yourself for that time and what your plans are which should probably be obvious such as looking for accommodation and getting settled before classes start. Many people have been on this forum arriving in a similar timeframe without issue some even earlier and whilst each case is different as long as someone is convincing that they can support themselves without any work should be no issue.

-user-name-

Apr 13, 2019
There is no specific written guidance that am aware of other than common sense implies that CBSA would have a concern if someone arrives too early with limited funds which could imply they would need to work before classes start.

Arriving 12/13 August for 3 Sept start should be fine although should expect CBSA to ask how you are funding yourself for that time and what your plans are which should probably be obvious such as looking for accommodation and getting settled before classes start. Many people have been on this forum arriving in a similar timeframe without issue some even earlier and whilst each case is different as long as someone is convincing that they can support themselves without any work should be no issue.
Ok thanks and I’ll be staying at my relative’s house. So do i need to show extra funds in that case too?

Harneet_

Feb 6, 2020
My question is Due to current COVID-19 situation, How prior a student can enter to Canada before his study begins. For example: for September 2021?