+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I take my MIL to Canada with me?

HaniaZain

Oct 20, 2023
I applied for my husbands sponsorship and we are now awaiting his PPR and COPR. I do understand that there is super visa for parents and grandparents, but that can only happen once my husband has 1 T4, which will happen after a year. But my MIL will be alone back in Pakistan, is there some other visa we can apply for her and take her along with her once we make the move?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I applied for my husbands sponsorship and we are now awaiting his PPR and COPR. I do understand that there is super visa for parents and grandparents, but that can only happen once my husband has 1 T4, which will happen after a year. But my MIL will be alone back in Pakistan, is there some other visa we can apply for her and take her along with her once we make the move?
Your mother in law can apply for visitor visa. But note that an application is not guaranteed. Your MIL must show own financial capabilities and ties to home country, among other things, to be approved.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is no way for your mother in law to move to Canada, even after your husband has a T4. All she will be able to do is visit temporarily. In order for your mother in law to move to Canada, you will need to qualify, be selected, and sponsor her for PR so that she can live with you here permanently.

As said above, the only option right now is for her to apply for a TRV / regular visitor visa. To be approved, she will need to show strong ties to her home country to show she has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. She will also need to show that she has sufficient savings to cover her trip to Canada.

Applying for a super visa will be an option once your husband has been approved for PR and has landed in Canada. As you're aware, you need to meet the minimum income requirements to apply. Assuming you are working in Canada and meet the minimum income requirements, you can co-sign the application (note that your income must be from Canadian sources). However applying will not be possible until after your husband has become a PR and has moved to Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You cannot take her with you to live. As said, she can apply for a TRV but that is not to live in Canada. She can visit up to 6 months or however long CBSA decides on enter. She will need to show her own funds to support a visit (cash), ties to return (job, children under 22, income properties, business etc.), travel history to the US, UK, NZ and AUS. If refused for ties to return as an example, then a super-visa may still be refused because she has no ties. A super-visa is still a visitor visa. If IRCC believes she is coming to live and not visit then her TRV and super-visa will be refused.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
In a nut shell

No

Plus if the MIL was going to be alone in the first place , why’d everyone choose to move to Canada ? It’s like she was an after thought .
If the husband HAS to stay with his mother, then you might want to think about moving to his country . YOU are sponsoring HIM, not his mother

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your husband is not willing to live apart from his MIL your only true option is to move to be with him and not move to Canada. If Canada suspects parents are trying to move to Canada with their child then they will deny the TRV. That is why it is recommended to wait to be established in Canada before your parent(s) applying to come to visit especially if the person doesn’t have previous international travel experience to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc. and their own funds to fund their visit. Given her son will be in Canada and she is a widow IRCC will be aware that culturally she will want to stay with a son and typically her eldest son.

Reactions: YVR123