+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with the medical test...IBD

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
tosinosho1992 said:
Just to throw a monkey wrench on your plan. I believe the LOE will go to the visa officer not the medical officer. What if the medical officer does not mention anything about your IBD to the visa officer--you will be selling yourself out. Why don't you wait for them to ask for an explanation. Just my thought :)
I am not an expert but I agree with this and Canuck in U.K. as well. A few years ago there was a wise poster on this forum, Qorax, and his advice was, "Give them what they ask for. Nothing more. Nothing less." I think this is one of those situations. Wait and watch. Good luck.

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Thank you all, I read so much online yesterday, and my head is literally overwhelmed with information,
I decided to do as what most people said, not mention it in the LOE and wait till I get the fairness letter (which I'm most likely getting unfortunately) then see what I can do to challenge the decision...
A very good resource I found online as well, that there are legal offices specialized just in helping PR applicants to challenge medical inadmissibility, that's their only specialization, so I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to get their help when I receive the fairness letter..
I may also ask my physician to try stopping remicade, he proposed the idea a few months ago since I'm in remission, eventhough he didn't recommend it because most people relapse after stopping, but I may give it a try and see what happens...

And if anyone has specific experience close to my situation please tell us about it...

Castillo

Nov 23, 2016
ahmedhere said:
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm in the process of applying for PR, and I recently did my medical test...everything is fine except for one thing,

I have IBD and I'm on Remicade, Remicade is a quite expensive drug, but it is not covered by Canada's health insurance anyways...I get it covered through a support program from the pharma company..

My disease is totally under control and I live perfectly normal with no major or minor health issues at all, the only thing is that I have to stay always on the drug...

So now I'm quite concerned, would that lead to my application being rejected cause of medical failure? does anyone have/know a similar case?
Ibd, either ulcerative colitis or crohns DX is not a death sentence am sure lmany Canadians have same!

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Castillo said:
Ibd, either ulcerative colitis or crohns DX is not a death sentence am sure lmany Canadians have same!
The problem is not the risk factor, both diseases have very good prognosis if controlled properly...the problem is that the treatment is so expensive...Remicade, Humira etc

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
I was wondering if you said 'yes' in the statutory questions about having a serious medical condition?

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
kryt0n said:
I was wondering if you said 'yes' in the statutory questions about having a serious medical condition?
No, cause IBD is not serious unless it is active and advanced, and mine is neither active nor advanced...if the question was "chronic" i would say yes, but serious? no...I lead a perfectly normal life...

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
kryt0n said:
After rethinking, I think that's a good point...

I went back to the question and changed the answer to yes, then in the explanation field I explained that I have IBD, which is currently in remission and inactive.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
ahmedhere said:

I went back to the question and changed the answer to yes, then in the explanation field I explained that I have IBD, which is currently in remission and inactive.
Good choice. I have very very mild epilepsy, but as my medication will be mentioned during my medical, and we have no idea on what cic deem a serious condition, I was going to say yes too. X

rg74

Jan 27, 2016
BRAMPTON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Doc's Request.
01-05-2017
AOR Received.
14-02-2017
Med's Done....
12-03-2017
Passport Req..
24-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2017
LANDED..........
16-09-2017
Do they ask this question about serious medical condition for only the principal applicant or for the spouse and dependant kids too? Thanks

tosinosho1992

Star Member
Nov 4, 2010
ahmedhere said:

CiC has not provided a definition of "serious medical condition", so the response should be subjective and based on your doctor's prognosis. Under the United States Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), " a serious health condition is an illness, injury, impairment or physical or mental condition that involves inpatient care (defined as an overnight stay in a hospital, hospice or residential medical care facility; any overnight admission to such facilities is an automatic trigger for FMLA eligibility) or continuing treatment by a health care provider. Examples include the following:

Continuing treatment by a health care provider that results in an incapacity (inability to work, attend school or participate in other daily activities) of more than three consecutive calendar days with either two or more in-person visits to the health care provider within 30 days of the date of incapacity OR one in-person visit to the health care provider with a regimen of continuing treatment, such as prescription medication, physical therapy, etc. In either situation, the first visit to the health care provider must occur within seven days of the first date of incapacity. Examples include pneumonia, surgery or broken/fractured bones.

Chronic conditions that require periodic visits to a health care provider, continue over an extended period of time and may cause episodic rather than continuing periods of incapacity of more than three days. Examples of chronic conditions include asthma, diabetes and epilepsy.
Incapacity for pregnancy or prenatal care (any such incapacity is FMLA-protected regardless of the period of incapacity). For example, a pregnant employee may be unable to report to work due to severe morning sickness.
Permanent or long-term conditions such as Alzheimer's, severe stroke or terminal disease.

Conditions requiring multiple treatments and recovery from treatments, such as cancer, severe arthritis and kidney disease.
Treatment for substance abuse by a health care provider or by a provider of health care services on referral by a health care provider.
Leave due to the birth, adoption or placement for foster care of a child does not require medical necessity or any period of incapacity. FMLA leave is available for bonding with the baby/child.

Employees may take FMLA leave for themselves or to care for their parent, spouse, son or daughter whose medical condition meets the above criteria. The FMLA regulations specifically exclude the following conditions, unless inpatient care or complications develop that would meet the above criteria: cosmetic treatments, common colds, flu, ear aches, upset stomach, minor ulcers, headaches other than migraine, routine dental or orthodontia problems, and periodontal disease."

If your IBD is inactive and you and your doctor do not think it is serious, you can answer "NO" and explain your choice, rather than say "Yes". Answering "yes" means you are acknowledging the severity of your condition. Whatever your option is, I don't think it would affect your application as you would have declared that you are on medication and have IBD.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
tosinosho1992 said:
CiC has not provided a definition of "serious medical condition", so the response should be subjective and based on your doctor's prognosis. Under the United States Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), " a serious health condition is an illness, injury, impairment or physical or mental condition that involves inpatient care (defined as an overnight stay in a hospital, hospice or residential medical care facility; any overnight admission to such facilities is an automatic trigger for FMLA eligibility) or continuing treatment by a health care provider. Examples include the following:

Continuing treatment by a health care provider that results in an incapacity (inability to work, attend school or participate in other daily activities) of more than three consecutive calendar days with either two or more in-person visits to the health care provider within 30 days of the date of incapacity OR one in-person visit to the health care provider with a regimen of continuing treatment, such as prescription medication, physical therapy, etc. In either situation, the first visit to the health care provider must occur within seven days of the first date of incapacity. Examples include pneumonia, surgery or broken/fractured bones.

Chronic conditions that require periodic visits to a health care provider, continue over an extended period of time and may cause episodic rather than continuing periods of incapacity of more than three days. Examples of chronic conditions include asthma, diabetes and epilepsy.
Incapacity for pregnancy or prenatal care (any such incapacity is FMLA-protected regardless of the period of incapacity). For example, a pregnant employee may be unable to report to work due to severe morning sickness.
Permanent or long-term conditions such as Alzheimer's, severe stroke or terminal disease.

Conditions requiring multiple treatments and recovery from treatments, such as cancer, severe arthritis and kidney disease.
Treatment for substance abuse by a health care provider or by a provider of health care services on referral by a health care provider.
Leave due to the birth, adoption or placement for foster care of a child does not require medical necessity or any period of incapacity. FMLA leave is available for bonding with the baby/child.

Employees may take FMLA leave for themselves or to care for their parent, spouse, son or daughter whose medical condition meets the above criteria. The FMLA regulations specifically exclude the following conditions, unless inpatient care or complications develop that would meet the above criteria: cosmetic treatments, common colds, flu, ear aches, upset stomach, minor ulcers, headaches other than migraine, routine dental or orthodontia problems, and periodontal disease."

If your IBD is inactive and you and your doctor do not think it is serious, you can answer "NO" and explain your choice, rather than say "Yes". Answering "yes" means you are acknowledging the severity of your condition. Whatever your option is, I don't think it would affect your application as you would have declared that you are on medication and have IBD.
Thank you for this. It is frustrating that CIC do not define this as it seems to be something that could cause misrepresentation in a couple of cases if the applicant is not careful.

As epilepsy is on the USA list I will answer 'Yes' although I will explain that my last seizure was 4+ years ago and resulted in 1 day of home rest and no hospital in/out patient care. Previous to that my other seizures were 6 years ago and 8 years ago. I believe answering 'Yes' here and exaplaining "as a definition has not been provided I have outlined my condition below".

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I personally feel that you guys should answer No. I am guessing they are looking for something serious like cancer or hiv types. The things you are discussing doesn't sound any serious. As you are mentioning about the pills you are taking anyways in medicals, it definitely would not constitute misrepresentation.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Thank you. I'm still torn though. I don't believe it's serious but what does CIC define it as?? Why is this the only thing they don't explicitly list?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kryt0n said:
Thank you. I'm still torn though. I don't believe it's serious but what does CIC define it as?? Why is this the only thing they don't explicitly list?
If you are not sure, play it safe and just include it.

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
tosinosho1992 said:
thank you for the info, I totally agree with you, and that's why I was gonna answer "no", because I though the question was worded "do you have a serious disease?" then the answer is no...

But when I went back and read carefully, the question is worded "have you had a serious disease?"...I think by that wording, we have to answer yes, because our diseases are not serious now cause of being inactive and under control, but before medical care for sure they were serious, be it IBD or Epilepsy or whatever...

Also the good thing is that you don't just say yes and state the disease...you actually have a space to explain, so I just said that I have IBD which is in remission and inactive, and also stated very clearly that I don't have any active serious diseases or symptoms at the moment...
Remember that we already consent that we give CIC the permission to reveal our private data and do investigations about us, so I'm sure they can reach your medical history, and the last thing you want is an officer thinking you are misguiding and hiding info...
At the end as you said, it doesn't really affect your application unless it is a serious active disease that represents risk to the society...and in worst cases you can always provide a report from your doctor showing you are in a good condition...