+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Healthcare!?

tinch

Nov 9, 2011
Hi everyone!

I wonder what the best option for healthcare for the "implied status" time might be. I applied for the PR in July and do not expect to be covered by OHIP for ... another year?

Right now I still have a valid travel insurance from Germany which will expire in January.

Will I be eligible to apply for OHIP once I get an open work permit or only when I eventually get the PR?

Please share your experiences.. I am thankful for any suggestions!

moony

Oct 10, 2011
tinch said:
Hi everyone!

I wonder what the best option for healthcare for the "implied status" time might be. I applied for the PR in July and do not expect to be covered by OHIP for ... another year?

Right now I still have a valid travel insurance from Germany which will expire in January.

Will I be eligible to apply for OHIP once I get an open work permit or only when I eventually get the PR?

Hi! I am in Ontario. And I could apply for OHIP right after I received OWP. But there 3 months waiting time to be eligible for it.

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
tinch said:
Hi everyone!

The answer to your question completely depends on whether you applied inland, or outland. If you applied inland, you are eligible for OHIP once you get your AIP. If you applied outland, you will have to wait until you get your PR, land and wait out the 90 days wait-period.

Private health insurance (Blue Cross, through some local Canadian banks like RBC, TD, etc) will be your best bet in the mean time.

Canadagirl85

Star Member
Jan 3, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
23/12/10
Interview........
Waved
So once you get AIP where would you go to apply for OHIP!?? That is exciting I want my wife to get her health card! :D I am hoping she will be approved in January... but thats wishful thinking !! :D

L

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001242

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
I applied at a local Service Ontario. I'm not sure if there's a 90 day waiting period when you apply as an inland applicant. You may want to call a Service Ontario and ask.

Canadagirl85 said:
So once you get AIP where would you go to apply for OHIP!?? That is exciting I want my wife to get her health card! :D I am hoping she will be approved in January... but thats wishful thinking !! :D

L