+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

Mrs.Suarez

Sep 15, 2017
I am so glad I found this. I am currently sponsoring my husband. Canada received paperwork in January. Was processed and Havana sent letter they received and started processing mid March. I sent in complete package with medical. Plus every piece of info they could ask for. I've been told by a local immigration worker that if they needed info they would of messaged by now. It has been eight months now. I'm losing sleep over it. I miss my husband and want him here. How long does it usually take? If there was anything wrong they would of messaged by now? My husband wants to try and find out from Havana but I don't want to bother them and be put on bottom lol. His medical runs out nov. 5 and we were told he has to be in Canada before medical runs out. We are worried we won't find out anything and he will have to do again and add way more time. Please if there is any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Manguita

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
I am so glad I found this. I am currently sponsoring my husband. Canada received paperwork in January. Was processed and Havana sent letter they received and started processing mid March. I sent in complete package with medical. Plus every piece of info they could ask for. I've been told by a local immigration worker that if they needed info they would of messaged by now. It has been eight months now. I'm losing sleep over it. I miss my husband and want him here. How long does it usually take? If there was anything wrong they would of messaged by now? My husband wants to try and find out from Havana but I don't want to bother them and be put on bottom lol. His medical runs out nov. 5 and we were told he has to be in Canada before medical runs out. We are worried we won't find out anything and he will have to do again and add way more time. Please if there is any info, would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome! We have to be patient ... we are at 9 months now still waiting...

Ap789

Feb 12, 2016
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-07-2016
File Transfer...
29-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2016
LANDED..........
November 21 2016
You are allowed to email the embassy and request an extension for the medical test . I would do this ASAP . Also get your husband to get a new police check if his current one expires soon .

You also can order you case notes online to see what they are doing on your file . These notes usually tell you if you are waiting for an interview and possible reasons why , and what they think of your realtionship . There the gcms notes , they cost 5 dollars and they take 30 calander days to process . There is also a form you need to fill out and upload it to your request as well.

HavNa really has no rhyme or reason , my husband and I were 5 months from start to finish and were given visa without interview ... and I know someone who got there visa in less then 3 months ... and others have been waiting 12-15 months .

Order your notes and email to request an extension to the medical exam .

Hope you here something soon

Mrs.Suarez

Sep 15, 2017
I just looked into the gcms notes. I would need a signed form from my husband giving me permission. It would take longer to get that than the wait for immigration. I hope it comes soon. Feels like forever

Minosis

Feb 3, 2017
Visa Office......
HAV
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
13-05-2017
Hi all, I checked our accounts today and it says we have passed our medical! Does anyone know what comes next? I assume the interview is next but will they send us an email about it or should I email them and ask?

Reactions: lienocka17

lienocka17

Jul 24, 2016
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
Hello Everyone! I am preparing my sponsorship application, the application has changed since December 2016 (There is a new process) - and specifically, the document checklist was recently updated on June 2017 (which I have a question on).

I have two questions:

(1) My driver's license and health card expire in November, I would like to renew them but with my Cuban husbands last name (since we just got married). However, when I send a copy of my Canadian Citizenship Certificate (I'm a naturalized citizen) in the application package for sponsorship, it will have my birth name (i.e. my first and LAST name at birth). I'm wondering, when I fill out the application...do I use my husband's last name as my own? (Since I am "assuming his last name", rather than changing it "legally"), or should I use my original last name that's also on the citizenship certificate? Otherwise, my last names will be inconsistent on the application where I fill out my info, and on my canadian citizenship certificate.

(2) *HELP WITH THIS PLEASE!!!*
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5533E.pdf
On page 7 of the Document Checklist PDF on the CIC website (click link above OR see below)

I need to provide 2 of the following:
a) important docs showing that me and my spouse are recognized as each other's spouses (i.e. insurance benefits, employment) - I clearly cannot provide this since he's not even in Canada and can't even come here.

b) Documentary evidence of financial support between you and sponsor, and/or shared expenses- What exactly does this mean? Proof that I have paid for things, such as adding credit to his phone? Buying this for the house? etc.? Otherwise, I have nothing to add her as well.

c) Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends and/or family (i.e. letter from friends, proof of public relatinoship through social media, etc.) - I am able to provide this.

d) *Additional option*: my sponsor declared me as their spouse already when i applied for PR in Canada. At that time I was a non-accompanying family member. I was examined but did not receive an immigrant. - To be honest, I really don't know what this means.

To all those who had to fill out this section too (not sure if the old application had it also), with a Cuban spouse it's kind of hard. What did you guys put? Any advice?

Thanks so much. Sorry for the super long post.
Best and good luck to all who are waiting for your visas.

Manguita

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
You are allowed to email the embassy and request an extension for the medical test . I would do this ASAP . Also get your husband to get a new police check if his current one expires soon .

You also can order you case notes online to see what they are doing on your file . These notes usually tell you if you are waiting for an interview and possible reasons why , and what they think of your realtionship . There the gcms notes , they cost 5 dollars and they take 30 calander days to process . There is also a form you need to fill out and upload it to your request as well.

HavNa really has no rhyme or reason , my husband and I were 5 months from start to finish and were given visa without interview ... and I know someone who got there visa in less then 3 months ... and others have been waiting 12-15 months .

Order your notes and email to request an extension to the medical exam .

Hope you here something soon
When you talk about extension of the medical how long they can extend it?

Mrs.Suarez

Sep 15, 2017
Hello Everyone! I am preparing my sponsorship application, the application has changed since December 2016 (There is a new process) - and specifically, the document checklist was recently updated on June 2017 (which I have a question on).

I have two questions:

(1) My driver's license and health card expire in November, I would like to renew them but with my Cuban husbands last name (since we just got married). However, when I send a copy of my Canadian Citizenship Certificate (I'm a naturalized citizen) in the application package for sponsorship, it will have my birth name (i.e. my first and LAST name at birth). I'm wondering, when I fill out the application...do I use my husband's last name as my own? (Since I am "assuming his last name", rather than changing it "legally"), or should I use my original last name that's also on the citizenship certificate? Otherwise, my last names will be inconsistent on the application where I fill out my info, and on my canadian citizenship certificate.

(2) *HELP WITH THIS PLEASE!!!*
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5533E.pdf
On page 7 of the Document Checklist PDF on the CIC website (click link above OR see below)

I need to provide 2 of the following:
a) important docs showing that me and my spouse are recognized as each other's spouses (i.e. insurance benefits, employment) - I clearly cannot provide this since he's not even in Canada and can't even come here.

b) Documentary evidence of financial support between you and sponsor, and/or shared expenses- What exactly does this mean? Proof that I have paid for things, such as adding credit to his phone? Buying this for the house? etc.? Otherwise, I have nothing to add her as well.

c) Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends and/or family (i.e. letter from friends, proof of public relatinoship through social media, etc.) - I am able to provide this.

d) *Additional option*: my sponsor declared me as their spouse already when i applied for PR in Canada. At that time I was a non-accompanying family member. I was examined but did not receive an immigrant. - To be honest, I really don't know what this means.

To all those who had to fill out this section too (not sure if the old application had it also), with a Cuban spouse it's kind of hard. What did you guys put? Any advice?

Thanks so much. Sorry for the super long post.
Best and good luck to all who are waiting

Mrs.Suarez

Sep 15, 2017
You want to put the information on your application the same as your identification. They can't be different. I have to wait until my sponsorship is done and he is here before I can change my name. You need to give a copy of your marriage certificate plus an english translated one. Proof of your relationship. Wedding pics. Any pics you have with family. Pics when first together. I sent pics from beginning relationship up until I sent in. On back of pics put names, dates and place. I did. Copy of financial is only if you have sent him money. If have. Give proof of that too. Give as much information as you can. The more the better. Emails. Text messages. If you have put money on his phone then copies of that. I handed mine in a week before cut off so I'm not sure how new package is if they request anything else.

Reactions: lienocka17

Ap789

Feb 12, 2016
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-07-2016
File Transfer...
29-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2016
LANDED..........
November 21 2016
I just looked into the gcms notes. I would need a signed form from my husband giving me permission. It would take longer to get that than the wait for immigration. I hope it comes soon. Feels like forever
Sign it for him , everyone else does for their husbands lol

Ap789

Feb 12, 2016
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2016
AOR Received.
27-07-2016
File Transfer...
29-07-2016
Med's Done....
18-03-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2016
LANDED..........
November 21 2016
Reactions: Manguita

lienocka17

Jul 24, 2016
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
Havana
App. Filed.......
09-01-2018
AOR Received.
28-02-2018
You want to put the information on your application the same as your identification. They can't be different. I have to wait until my sponsorship is done and he is here before I can change my name. You need to give a copy of your marriage certificate plus an english translated one. Proof of your relationship. Wedding pics. Any pics you have with family. Pics when first together. I sent pics from beginning relationship up until I sent in. On back of pics put names, dates and place. I did. Copy of financial is only if you have sent him money. If have. Give proof of that too. Give as much information as you can. The more the better. Emails. Text messages. If you have put money on his phone then copies of that. I handed mine in a week before cut off so I'm not sure how new package is if they request anything else.
You can actually change it even before your sponsorship gets approved. You just go to ServiceOntario (depending on your province) with the translation of the marriage certificate and it can be changed.
While I was reading the application again, where it asks me for my name it says "same name as on your passport", so even if I change my name this will be fine since it's only for my driver's licence and health card. My passport will be the same since it's valid for 5 more years.

Thanks so much for your reply it was helpful.