+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for my Wife's US taxes

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
Hi there,

This isn't directly related to immigration, however my wife has filed her taxes, and was rejected because I do not have a IRS (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). I have read online that I can use my SIN number which we did, but they rejected it. We looked into getting one for me, and I have some paperwork to fill out, and they are asking me to submit my passport via mail, which is not going to happen... They also give me the option to send a copy if I "have the copies certified by the issuing agency". I got my passport renewed at the Brampton:

Passport Office
40 Gillingham Drive, Suite 401
Brampton, Ontario

Has anyone gone through this process before? Are we going about it correctly?

Thanks!

Elithx

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i believe the proper procedure is to use all 9's or all 0's for a non-citizen's identification number. others will confirm, or if not enough answers happen here, you can post it on the "settlement issues" board on the forum. i know this topic has been discussed before...

i'll have to check my tax returns to see what I did, however I'm pretty sure I did not include any personal information about my canadian husband on the form.

did your wife file as "married, filing separately"?

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i believe the proper procedure is to use all 9's or all 0's for a non-citizen's identification number. others will confirm, or if not enough answers happen here, you can post it on the "settlement issues" board on the forum. i know this topic has been discussed before...

i'll have to check my tax returns to see what I did, however I'm pretty sure I did not include any personal information about my canadian husband on the form.

did your wife file as "married, filing separately"?

Thanks for the reply CDNPR2014. Yes she filled her return as married, because we got married in Sep of last year. Thanks for the tip I will post there if need be.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs to file as married but filing separately. Then you don't need an IRS #. My husband has been doing this for years without issue.

Years ago we attempted to get an ID # for me in person at an IRS office. Left without one. It's an hour and a half of my life I'm never getting back. Don't do it.

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
scylla said:
She needs to file as married but filing separately. Then you don't need an IRS #. My husband has been doing this for years without issue.

Years ago we attempted to get an ID # for me in person at an IRS office. Left without one. It's an hour and a half of my life I'm never getting back. Don't do it.
Hmm, When she selected that she was married, she has to put in a IRS number for me. When you do it, do you not have this option? I believe she is using turbotax.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
elithx said:
Hmm, When she selected that she was married, she has to put in a IRS number for me. When you do it, do you not have this option? I believe she is using turbotax.
there are 2 statuses for married. married, filing separately or marrying, filing together. you'll want to confirm which status she claimed.

also, i'm not sure non-resident tax returns can be submitted online, that may be a part of the rejection. i'm pretty sure they have to be snail mailed, those others will confirm if this is true. i know that i was not able to submit my us forms online and had to mail it out.

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
there are 2 statuses for married. married, filing separately or marrying, filing together. you'll want to confirm which status she claimed.

also, i'm not sure non-resident tax returns can be submitted online, that may be a part of the rejection. i'm pretty sure they have to be snail mailed, those others will confirm if this is true. i know that i was not able to submit my us forms online and had to mail it out.
Thank you for the follow up. I'll double check this with my wife. If this is the case, Would I still need to file a tax return on my own as a Canadian?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
elithx said:
Thank you for the follow up. I'll double check this with my wife. If this is the case, Would I still need to file a tax return on my own as a Canadian?
NO! DO NOT SUBMIT AN IRS TAX RETURN, especially if you have never worked there or paid taxes there!!!!! being married to a US citizen does not obligate you to pay US taxes, and the last thing you want is for the IRS to know who you are and where to find you. your wife should be the only one submitting a US return.

Your personal information should not even be on her tax returns. if she's only filing in the US, then it should be very simple and her filing status should be married, FILING SEPARATELY. if she does this, there is no need for her to put your information on the forms. if she's filing Canadian taxes as well, then she needs to file canadian first, then submit her us taxes. she can use the taxes paid in canada as credits on her US taxes. it's usually recommended to hire an accountant who is familiar with cross/border taxes the first time around, since it can get confusing.

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
NO! DO NOT SUBMIT AN IRS TAX RETURN, especially if you have never worked there or paid taxes there!!!!! being married to a US citizen does not obligate you to pay US taxes, and the last thing you want is for the IRS to know who you are and where to find you. your wife should be the only one submitting a US return.

Your personal information should not even be on her tax returns. if she's only filing in the US, then it should be very simple and her filing status should be married, FILING SEPARATELY. if she does this, there is no need for her to put your information on the forms. if she's filing Canadian taxes as well, then she needs to file canadian first, then submit her us taxes. she can use the taxes paid in canada as credits on her US taxes. it's usually recommended to hire an accountant who is familiar with cross/border taxes the first time around, since it can get confusing.

We've decided to go with a professional as mentioned this first time to save the stress. We might do it ourselves in the future. Thank you for the advice!