+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

German work experience in Canada

Mike Myers

Apr 19, 2021
Hallo everybody, i am a software developer currently working in Germany. I have 4 years of professional experience and i was just wondering if it will be easier for me to get a job in Canada or still be hard as always. Thanks in advance for your responses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hallo everybody, i am a software developer currently working in Germany. I have 4 years of professional experience and i was just wondering if it will be easier for me to get a job in Canada or still be hard as always. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Do you mean on a work permit or after you are a PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
On a work permit first. I have a few relatives who are willing to take me in until i get a job.
In that case I would say still extremely difficult since your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify to apply for a work permit. Don't come to Canada until you have both the job offer and your employer has obtained an approved LMIA.

Reactions: Mike Myers

Mike Myers

Apr 19, 2021
In that case I would say still extremely difficult since your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify to apply for a work permit. Don't come to Canada until you have both the job offer and your employer has obtained an approved LMIA.
So, i should look into obtaining a work permit while still in Germany. This is really helpful. I have also seen people talking about how having experience in a foreign country is equivalent to having zero experience in Canada. I mean i'm 33 with close to five years of professional experience and the thought of starting from 0 again is kinda underwhelming, will all the five years really mean nothing? Thanks in advance again.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So, i should look into obtaining a work permit while still in Germany. This is really helpful. I have also seen people talking about how having experience in a foreign country is equivalent to having zero experience in Canada. I mean i'm 33 with close to five years of professional experience and the thought of starting from 0 again is kinda underwhelming, will all the five years really mean nothing? Thanks in advance again.
Are you German? You can’t get a work permit. You need to get a job offer and then the employer needs to apply for a LMIA and show that no Canadian or Pr can do the job. Then if approved, you apply for a closed work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not that the five years mean nothing. The issue is that Canadian employers have to go through a very long (6-8 months), expensive, and complicated process (the LMIA process) in order to get authorization to hire a foreign worker. This includes advertising the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Given COVID and related job losses, it's especially difficult now to prove that a Canadian could not be hired for the role and that a foreigner such as yourself needs to be hired. Generally the most realistic option is to get PR first through an immigration program like Express Entry and then look for a job once you are a PR and no work permit is required.

If you are a German passport holder, then as said above, you can look into the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program. If you are selected, then you would qualify for a 1 year open work permit which does not require a job offer or approved LMIA to work in Canada.

If you are not a German passport holder, let us know what passport you hold.

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
In the IT sector the "Canadian experience" thing isn't as much of a thing as in other sectors in my opinion.
Sometimes you'll have coding assignments even before a first interview regardless of your resume. Doing well in these assignments will give you a good foot in the door for an interview.

You should figure out your work permit situation before comin to Canada, though. From what was written so far it's not 100% clear to me if you got the permit already or still just intend to get one.

Mike Myers

Apr 19, 2021
It's not that the five years mean nothing. The issue is that Canadian employers have to go through a very long (6-8 months), expensive, and complicated process (the LMIA process) in order to get authorization to hire a foreign worker. This includes advertising the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Given COVID and related job losses, it's especially difficult now to prove that a Canadian could not be hired for the role and that a foreigner such as yourself needs to be hired. Generally the most realistic option is to get PR first through an immigration program like Express Entry and then look for a job once you are a PR and no work permit is required.

If you are a German passport holder, then as said above, you can look into the IEC / Working Holiday Visa program. If you are selected, then you would qualify for a 1 year open work permit which does not require a job offer or approved LMIA to work in Canada.

If you are not a German passport holder, let us know what passport you hold.
I am German. I had no idea that this was so complicated. My brother came to Canada about 6 years ago, got his degree and eventually got married and has been living there with his wife since then. Wow!...this is not as easy as i thought it. But i'll definitely look into the IEC thing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am German. I had no idea that this was so complicated. My brother came to Canada about 6 years ago, got his degree and eventually got married and has been living there with his wife since then. Wow!...this is not as easy as i thought it. But i'll definitely look into the IEC thing.
Because he got his degree in Canada, he qualified for an open work permit after he finished his studies which was likely 3 years in duration. So that would have made things easier for him.

The path you're trying is unfortunately a lot more difficult. Definitely look into the IEC. However if your intent is to move to Canada permanently, the IEC will only be 12 months in length and may not give you that much help in qualifying for permanent residency. Unfortunately you're on the wrong side of things now as your age goes (easier when you're 30 or under) and the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to qualify to immigrate.

I would check your points now under the Express Entry program to see if you are in the range of 470+ that is normally required to be selected.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Mike Myers

Apr 19, 2021
In the IT sector the "Canadian experience" thing isn't as much of a thing as in other sectors in my opinion.
Sometimes you'll have coding assignments even before a first interview regardless of your resume. Doing well in these assignments will give you a good foot in the door for an interview.

You should figure out your work permit situation before comin to Canada, though. From what was written so far it's not 100% clear to me if you got the permit already or still just intend to get one.
No, i don't have the permit yet, i was just trying to find out how hard it would be for me to move there before i start the actual process and it is harder than i thought honestly.

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
You might also want to investigate the Provincial Nominee Program. Each province has its own eligibility criteria. Most require a job or job offer but I believe there may be one or two that do not. Here is more information about this program.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/works.html