+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW.....good article to read. Know your rights.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
So children don't pay any taxes, use social services like health care and education, but they are 'contributing members' and are good for the economy?

But immigrants don't pay any taxes, use social services like health care and education, but they are not good for the economy?

Just making sure that I understand your argument.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well, how about the link that I did post? It's to a description of a child born in an airplane that was flying between London and Boston, but happened to be over Nova Scotia when the child arrived. The mother was Ugandan, but her child received Canadian citizenship.

I would suggest that this arguments implies that the Canadian government doesn't have the criteria of 'participation in Canadian society' that you do.

I did look on the Internet -- briefly . . . -- and I didn't find any consensus as to whether immigrants are a net benefit or not to Canada. I agree that it is an interesting question, and I'm going to look some more after my kid goes to bed . . . But my main question still remains:

Why is it that you are OK with a native Canadian taking a good job in the United States, but are outraged by a naturalized Canadian doing the same?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
on-hold said:
So children don't pay any taxes, use social services like health care and education, but they are 'contributing members' and are good for the economy?

But immigrants don't pay any taxes, use social services like health care and education, but they are not good for the economy?

Just making sure that I understand your argument.
Canadian children have Canadian parents who pay for their needs which stimulate the economy. The social services they require have been paid for by their parents. A child over the course of 20 years contributes more to Canadian society than an immigrant getting their citizenship via CIC's drive thru window.

I understand the position you are trying to make but you are trying to equate apples to oranges.

Go-Canada-Go

Star Member
May 1, 2013
on-hold said:
Well, how about the link that I did post? It's to a description of a child born in an airplane that was flying between London and Boston, but happened to be over Nova Scotia when the child arrived. The mother was Ugandan, but her child received Canadian citizenship.

I would suggest that this arguments implies that the Canadian government doesn't have the criteria of 'participation in Canadian society' that you do.

I did look on the Internet -- briefly . . . -- and I didn't find any consensus as to whether immigrants are a net benefit or not to Canada. I agree that it is an interesting question, and I'm going to look some more after my kid goes to bed . . . But my main question still remains:

Why is it that you are OK with a native Canadian taking a good job in the United States, but are outraged by a naturalized Canadian doing the same?
WELL SAID!!!!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
That's fine, it would be a weird world if everyone agreed with me. Personally, I feel that one of the great virtues of Canadian citizenship is that all Canadians consider themselves free to do what they want. Where I lived in Asia the country really emphasized duty to the nation, and everyone spent their lives competing with their neighbors to look richer. If people come to Canada from a place like that and absorb a bit of the idea of being at liberty in the world, I feel like the world is a better place, and in a Canadian way too . . .

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
on-hold said:

I really don't follow your logic. Air babies, sea babies, land babies, tree babies.....have nothing to do with it.

My complaint is concerning those you grab their citizenship and return to their country of origin to work as a foreign worker. If they wanted to return because Canada is not for them then fine but surrender your citizenship.

There is quite a big difference between the status of native born to newly naturalized Canadians in content. Though once a person has legally obtained citizenship it is equal to all others.
The vast majority of immigrants to Canada are from China and India. They are also the vast majority who return to their countries of origin within 8 years of landing. Add to this that both Chinese and Indians immigrate to major urban centres. Vancouver for the Chinese and Toronto for Indians. The resources used by new immigrants over their first 5 years use more tax dollars than they contribute. The payoff to the country is only if they stay and raise the kids, buy houses, cars, etc.

This is the point I'm trying to make is that a new citizen grabbing their citizenship and running home has cost the country more than they have contributed before they leave to reap the benefits of that citizenship. While legally obtained that citizenship has not be ethically earned.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
on-hold said:
That's fine, it would be a weird world if everyone agreed with me. Personally, I feel that one of the great virtues of Canadian citizenship is that all Canadians consider themselves free to do what they want. Where I lived in Asia the country really emphasized duty to the nation, and everyone spent their lives competing with their neighbors to look richer. If people come to Canada from a place like that and absorb a bit of the idea of being at liberty in the world, I feel like the world is a better place, and in a Canadian way too . . .
A country is a community and everyone who participates in the community can find profit in that. Those that use the resources of one community to advance themselves in another is being disingenuous. This is not a Canadian value.

I am not opposed to immigration. In fact I would increase the numbers if it was up to me. Without it Canada would be screwed. I am simply opposed to those that abuse the privilege.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Would you also agree there is a difference between the status of Aboriginal people(true Canadians according to history) and "immigrants" who now call themselves "native Canadians"? How far are we going to go?

You are trying to create a two-tier system for citizenship and that's not right. If a "native Canadian" as you call it can live the rest of their lives in Florida without surrendering their citizenship, why should a naturalized Canadian? I'm afraid you don't understand the rights of a Canadian citizen despite your protests. Sad indeed.

Be careful what you wish for. When we start classifying different "status" of Canadians we are on a slippery slope. 20 years from now, perhaps your children will become "second-class" citizens because someone has come up with their own criteria. Hope you will singing this same tune now. An injustice somewhere in an injustice everywhere.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
SenoritaBella said:
Would you also agree there is a difference between the status of Aboriginal people(true Canadians according to history) and "immigrants" who now call themselves "native Canadians"? How far are we going to go?

You are trying to create a two-tier system for citizenship and that's not right. If a "native Canadian" as you call it can live the rest of their lives in Florida without surrendering their citizenship, why should a naturalized Canadian? I'm afraid you don't understand the rights of a Canadian citizen despite your protests. Sad indeed.

Be careful what you wish for. When we start classifying different "status" of Canadians we are on a slippery slope. 20 years from now, perhaps your children will become "second-class" citizens because someone has come up with their own criteria. Hope you will singing this same tune now. An injustice somewhere in an injustice everywhere.
Again you try to take my specific argument and give it a broad application. We are all immigrants. Aboriginals included. They migrated from Asia some 20000 years ago I think. Again that has nothing to do with my statement. By your logic I, as a 7th generation Canadian, should have the same status as Aboriginals do...but I don't. So there is already an existing inequity of status. I, as a Caucasian male, have less status than a visible minority or woman (affirmative action) and that reduction in status is even protected under the Charter of Rights.

The naturalized Canadian that has lived and worked in Canada for at least 10 to 15 years has participated far more than the guy that moves home once his passport hits his mailbox. Not sure why you have a hard time digesting this.

Go-Canada-Go

Star Member
May 1, 2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
than an immigrant getting their citizenship via CIC's drive thru window.
It isn't a drive through package you buy it over the counter, if you check on people who have been waiting since ages just to get into Canada, and cic just refused ample number of applications just coz they can't clear the backlogs.
Sitting on the couch and typing in doesn't give you an idea about what all this is about
....only If you ever migrate to another country and plan for a new settlement you'll understand the pain in it.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Go-Canada-Go said:
It isn't a drive through package you buy it over the counter, if you check on people who have been waiting since ages just to get into Canada, and cic just refused ample number of applications just coz they can't clear the backlogs.
Sitting on the couch and typing in doesn't give you an idea about what all this is about
....only If you ever migrate to another country and plan for a new settlement you'll understand the pain in it.
LOL. How do you know I have never emigrated anywhere? I have every understanding of the facts and what a portion of the immigrating population is doing. Their actions have negative affects on the rest of us. Much like those that try to gain residency through MOC's has negatively affected the spousal sponsorship process. Why does it take 15 months to process a spousal application?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Ah, circles. :D

MASunny

Apr 20, 2012
The concept of 'brown skin' is widely penetrated in Canadian society; hence job interviews, volunteer work all are impacted. TFW too. Even laws discriminate among PR or native (by birth Canadian) so the out come is 'get hold of citizenship & go back to your home town to live with grace.'

CanadianJeepGuy said:
Once you are a citizen you are not a temporary foreign worker. As a citizen you have far more freedom and opportunity as a temporary worker. I object to those who gain their citizenship and then run off home to only keep their citizenship to access the benefits their home country does not have. Just as Itsmyid has commented. I have no problem if people find that Canada is not for them. Then cancel your citizenship and go home....or wherever.