+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW.....good article to read. Know your rights.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
I don't know whether or not Canadian news gets spread to the 4 corners of the globe but FSW should be aware that the policy of the current government has bad implications for Canadian workers and FSW alike. Please be aware of your rights as a worker in Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/01/temporary-foreign-workers-ghettos_n_3193852.html?ir=Canada&ref=topbar

Go-Canada-Go

Star Member
May 1, 2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
I don't know whether or not Canadian news gets spread to the 4 corners of the globe but FSW should be aware that the policy of the current government has bad implications for Canadian workers and FSW alike. Please be aware of your rights as a worker in Canada.
Nice post !!!

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013

MASunny

Apr 20, 2012
Good info - hope you remember our last exchange of postings; why expats get citizenship & leave Canada? discrimination with TFW lead to negative thinking! Hence, the mind set to leave Canada after citizenship blossom among other expats!

CanadianJeepGuy said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/01/temporary-foreign-workers-ghettos_n_3193852.html?ir=Canada&ref=topbar

myluckyprincess

Star Member
Mar 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 28, 2015
Passport Req..
July 9, 2015
i'm curious... why do get citizenship in the first place if you're just going to leave canada anyway?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
myluckyprincess said:
i'm curious... why do get citizenship in the first place if you're just going to leave canada anyway?
safety net. If you go somewhere else and things don't work out, you can always come back and collect benefits; and you do well there, you won't have to pay the high tax rate that Canada has.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
MASunny said:
Good info - hope you remember our last exchange of postings; why expats get citizenship & leave Canada? discrimination with TFW lead to negative thinking! Hence, the mind set to leave Canada after citizenship blossom among other expats!
Once you are a citizen you are not a temporary foreign worker. As a citizen you have far more freedom and opportunity as a temporary worker. I object to those who gain their citizenship and then run off home to only keep their citizenship to access the benefits their home country does not have. Just as Itsmyid has commented. I have no problem if people find that Canada is not for them. Then cancel your citizenship and go home....or wherever.

myluckyprincess

Star Member
Mar 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 28, 2015
Passport Req..
July 9, 2015
Sounds logical and clever... but just like canadianjeepguy, I disagree with what others are doing. But then, people are different from one another. ;D

itsmyid said:
safety net. If you go somewhere else and things don't work out, you can always come back and collect benefits; and you do well there, you won't have to pay the high tax rate that Canada has.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Once you are a citizen you are not a temporary foreign worker. As a citizen you have far more freedom and opportunity as a temporary worker. I object to those who gain their citizenship and then run off home to only keep their citizenship to access the benefits their home country does not have. Just as Itsmyid has commented. I have no problem if people find that Canada is not for them. Then cancel your citizenship and go home....or wherever.
but that's what is happening now: especially many of those via investment category, they got their PR/citizenship but they do business in their home country, so they have no income in Canada and can claim all the benefits. While people like us on WP, earning enough income just enough to fall out of the bucket of people that are eligible for benefits, but not enough to enjoy life as much as those who earn more. This whole system is just rewarding people who lie ( including many of the asylums-- yes I said it, I know most of their reasons are just pure bull sh*t) and let honest working people pay for them

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I know that this is a contentious subject, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me -- but I don't blame immigrants who leave after getting citizenship. Think about this situation:

- a girl is born in Edmonton, grows up here, benefits from its amazing public school system, and attends U of T, one of the world's finest universities and one where tuition is heavily subsidized (as is true everywhere in Canada). She gets a first-class degree and lands a 6-figure job working for Google in California. She leaves, marries, becomes a U.S. citizen, but keeps her Canadian citizenship.

Is anyone going to criticize her? She spent her whole youth in Canada, eating services hand over fist, never paying taxes, taking advantage of the terrific school system, world-class university, and blows off to America. Ingrate! Compare her to Pradeep, who comes here from India:

- he pays the application fee for the the FSWP, and brings his family over with him, along with $30,000 seed money. His background is in engineering, but to receive Canadian qualifications takes at least two years; but he can't study full time, because he has to support his kids, so he works at night. When he gets his qualifications, no one will hire him. He and his wife stick it out for another year, because they can't believe that is possible; and because they've decided that Canadian citizenship will be a partial recompense for a move that has not worked out. Pradeep starts to look at jobs down in the States, where his citizenship will help him get a work permit relatively easily, and eventually he finds one. By the time he gets his Canadian passport he's paid 4 years of taxes and most of the 30,000 dollars he came here with, plus his original application fees. He's frustrated that it didn't work out, but relieved that he can try and restart his career in the States.

His one frustration now is the number of self-righteous critics he encounters, who consider him to be cheating Canada . . . ;D

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Excellent post.....wish I can give u +100

on-hold said:
I know that this is a contentious subject, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me -- but I don't blame immigrants who leave after getting citizenship. Think about this situation:

- a girl is born in Edmonton, grows up here, benefits from its amazing public school system, and attends U of T, one of the world's finest universities and one where tuition is heavily subsidized (as is true everywhere in Canada). She gets a first-class degree and lands a 6-figure job working for Google in California. She leaves, marries, becomes a U.S. citizen, but keeps her Canadian citizenship.

Is anyone going to criticize her? She spent her whole youth in Canada, eating services hand over fist, never paying taxes, taking advantage of the terrific school system, world-class university, and blows off to America. Ingrate! Compare her to Pradeep, who comes here from India:

- he pays the application fee for the the FSWP, and brings his family over with him, along with $30,000 seed money. His background is in engineering, but to receive Canadian qualifications takes at least two years; but he can't study full time, because he has to support his kids, so he works at night. When he gets his qualifications, no one will hire him. He and his wife stick it out for another year, because they can't believe that is possible; and because they've decided that Canadian citizenship will be a partial recompense for a move that has not worked out. Pradeep starts to look at jobs down in the States, where his citizenship will help him get a work permit relatively easily, and eventually he finds one. By the time he gets his Canadian passport he's paid 4 years of taxes and most of the 30,000 dollars he came here with, plus his original application fees. He's frustrated that it didn't work out, but relieved that he can try and restart his career in the States.

His one frustration now is the number of self-righteous critics he encounters, who consider him to be cheating Canada . . . ;D

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
on-hold said:

Yes we can all fabricate examples to support our arguments.

You forgot to mention Pradeep's family having no access to quality healthcare will run to the emergency room every time Pradeep junior has a cough or runny nose. Immigrant's demands on healthcare far outweigh those of born citizens. Go visit the emergency room of any hospital in Toronto and the GTA and do a demographics check.

If Pradeep had done his due diligence he could well of prepared his professional credentials to either meet the Canadian requirement or at the very least allow him to enter his field at an entry level. Engineers can join associations that will weigh their experience and education then provided testing or study to meet equivalency.

When Sally breaks her leg does she return to Canada to use the healthcare system? If civil unrest breaks out in Silicone Valley does she call the Canadian Embassy to expect extraction? Sally is living and working in the US and for all intents and purposes being a contributing part of the American society. Unlike Pradeep who after 5 years or questionable effort receives his citizenship and moves back to India; never having voted and most likely never really paying any taxes.

See. I can make up stuff too.

The problem is that citizenship is not something you simply wait in line and pay for. It isn't something you are entitled to for putting up with all the boolshite from CIC. You have to participate.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
My example isn't fabricated -- it is meant to illustrate that people who object to immigrants using social services and then leaving Canada never do this when native-born Canadians do so, even though in many cases the native-born Canadians have never paid taxes (when they leave after graduating from college).

Also, my example simply chose a common phenomenon, an immigrant who can't find a good job; this is well established, and it's one reason that CIC has been revising their criteria. Your example assumes that Pradeep uses more health services than native Canadians, with no data; for myself, I don't accept this without some data. It seems unlikely, since the largest expenses of the Canadian health care system are elderly people with chronic diseases, but if you can show me that immigrants use more health services than the elderly, I'll consider it.

Here's another example, not 'fabricated' of how seriously Canada takes the position that citizens must 'participate'.

http://www.canadavisa.com/born-canadian-airspace-canada-citizen.html

Furthermore, your example shows what I would consider basic racism. When I suggested that the native Canadian used government services and left for the U.S., you responded that that was OK because she was a 'contributing part of American society.' However, when Pradeep, in my example, gets a better job down in the States (as a Canadian citizen), you don't give him that same benefit of the doubt. I don't understand why Pradeep, when he enters the U.S. as a Canadian in a skilled position, isn't also a 'contributing part of American society.' He and Sally will have the same access to health insurance, why does he return and she doesn't? Explain, could you?

Where you say "you have to participate" does that apply to native Canadians? As I understand it, one principle of citizenship is that all citizens are equal, right? Since native Canadians can leave if they want, can naturalized Canadians?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Great examples. ;) On another note, the foreign worker program isn't as "easy" as those in the article suggest. About low wages, why isn't any of them holding HRDSC accountable? Afterall, they issue the LMO and the understanding is that the wages offered have to comparable to what is paid to Canadians in the same job or they reject it. So what's up with all this "lower" wages talk?

on-hold said:
My example isn't fabricated -- it is meant to illustrate that people who object to immigrants using social services and then leaving Canada never do this when native-born Canadians do so, even though in many cases the native-born Canadians have never paid taxes (when they leave after graduating from college).

Also, my example simply chose a common phenomenon, an immigrant who can't find a good job; this is well established, and it's one reason that CIC has been revising their criteria. Your example assumes that Pradeep uses more health services than native Canadians, with no data; for myself, I don't accept this without some data. It seems unlikely, since the largest expenses of the Canadian health care system are elderly people with chronic diseases, but if you can show me that immigrants use more health services than the elderly, I'll consider it.

Here's another example, not 'fabricated' of how seriously Canada takes the position that citizens must 'participate'.

Furthermore, your example shows what I would consider basic racism. When I suggested that the native Canadian used government services and left for the U.S., you responded that that was OK because she was a 'contributing part of American society.' However, when Pradeep, in my example, gets a better job down in the States (as a Canadian citizen), you don't give him that same benefit of the doubt. I don't understand why Pradeep, when he enters the U.S. as a Canadian in a skilled position, isn't also a 'contributing part of American society.' He and Sally will have the same access to health insurance, why does he return and she doesn't? Explain, could you?

Where you say "you have to participate" does that apply to native Canadians? As I understand it, one principle of citizenship is that all citizens are equal, right? Since native Canadians can leave if they want, can naturalized Canadians?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
on-hold said:

I'm sorry I didn't get the links to the data you used to support your claims.

Your anecdotal examples simply reflect your opinion. Post some data and we will go from there.

Sally has been a contributing part of the culture since birth. She has used the benefits to which she is entitled. For those 20 years of her development has employed Canadians. Children are good for the economy at the very least.

Pradeep immigrates, gets access to a variety of free to him social services, routinely runs the family to the emergency room for non emergency issues, works low wage employment to which any income he may have paid he will get back and in 5 years gets his Canadian citizenship and applies as a foreign worker in his home country. Exactly what contribution has he made?