Interview........
Oct 4, 2012 9:00am
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
IrinaAbdNova said:
Thank you for your reply =)

I am not a sponsor, I am the sponsored one =))) I thought bally21 was also sponsored that's why I was wondering how it was possible to do during the process.

Maybe you will know or anyone else who has knowledge on this topic, when I get my PR and go back to Canada and than apply for OSAP, how does the process work? How long does it take to assess someone to determine if they are eligible or not? Is it even possible to get for newcomers?

Thank you in advance for your help :)
for osap I believe you have to reside in the provice of ontario for a full year before you are eligible.

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
KJG said:
for osap I believe you have to reside in the provice of ontario for a full year before you are eligible.
Yeah that's what I've read too. I think I am just fortunate that they gave me osap for my situation!

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
You also need a SIN number to apply and they do a credit check and a vehicle check and check your tax returns as well, so if you're in the process of being sponsored, you won't have any of that for them to check.

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
16-10-2012 (Fingers Crossed)
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
While we're on the topic of OSAP. do you declare you're married or single until your spouse gets to Canada? If you declare that you are married, OSAP will ask for spousal income, sin card, etc... How am I suppose to give them such information when my spouse does not live in Canada yet until he gets the Visa. Has anyone else run into this problem?

alish

May 1, 2012
http://tinyurl.com/76xr8cz
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
08/09/2012
Med's Done....
01-03-2012
Passport Req..
02-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-11/12-2013
LANDED..........
LANDED!!!!!! 02/25/13
My accountant told me that I dont need to declare until my spouse comes, so next years tax period if your spouse is in canada with you then you change your status as married.

but double check with your accountant as well... this is what mine told me :)

hope that helps :)

TVG said:
While we're on the topic of OSAP. do you declare you're married or single until your spouse gets to Canada? If you declare that you are married, OSAP will ask for spousal income, sin card, etc... How am I suppose to give them such information when my spouse does not live in Canada yet until he gets the Visa. Has anyone else run into this problem?

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
TVG said:
you advise CRA immediately when you get married if you are in receipt of child tax benefits and/or hst.......

otherwise you wait until you file your next tax return and then you note that your marital status has changed...you have to advise of your spouses name and place of residence....obvioulsy they do not have a SIN # and they will want to know his/her worldwide income.......

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
alish said:
My accountant told me that I dont need to declare until my spouse comes, so next years tax period if your spouse is in canada with you then you change your status as married.

but double check with your accountant as well... this is what mine told me :)

hope that helps :)
Thanks for the reply Alish. So if you don't declare for tax purposes, then I guess you don't have to for OSAP as well.
My status for OSAP still says single, I was having a little panic attack whether to change it or not, but I guess that makes sense.

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
KJG said:
you advise CRA immediately when you get married if you are in receipt of child tax benefits and/or hst.......

otherwise you wait until you file your next tax return and then you note that your marital status has changed...you have to advise of your spouses name and place of residence....obvioulsy they do not have a SIN # and they will want to know his/her worldwide income.......
KJG no children here!! ;D

It'll be a while for that :D

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
TVG said:
Thanks for the reply Alish. So if you don't declare for tax purposes, then I guess you don't have to for OSAP as well.
My status for OSAP still says single, I was having a little panic attack whether to change it or not, but I guess that makes sense.
TVG....you need to apply as married...even though your spouse is not here....you cannot misrepresent that fact....on any form from here on in whether your spouse is in Canada or not must be submitted as married........

what I was saying earlier is that for income tax purposes you do not need to notify CRA....but if you apply for a bank loan, osap, anything at all it can be held against you at a later date if you misrepresent your marital status........so while it might be a pain in the butt for osap forms....you must tell them because they will be cross-referenced against cra records possibly and then you will be in a pickle......

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
KJG said:
TVG....you need to apply as married...even though your spouse is not here....you cannot misrepresent that fact....on any form from here on in whether your spouse is in Canada or not must be submitted as married........

what I was saying earlier is that for income tax purposes you do not need to notify CRA....but if you apply for a bank loan, osap, anything at all it can be held against you at a later date if you misrepresent your marital status........so while it might be a pain in the butt for osap forms....you must tell them because they will be cross-referenced against cra records possibly and then you will be in a pickle......
I know i don't feel right. I am going to the financial office at my University right now, I'll tell them the situation and see what they have to say.

KJG

Champion Member
Jun 4, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
June 14, 2012
File Transfer...
June 20, 2012
Med's Done....
Jan 3, 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 4, 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 9, 2012
TVG said:
I know i don't feel right. I am going to the financial office at my University right now, I'll tell them the situation and see what they have to say.
that is best.....all this things that pop up that one never thinks of ahead of time......it never in a million years occurred to me to advise CRA in October of 2011 that I got married because I receive child tax benefits.....then when I filed my income tax for 2011 I declared the change in my marital status.....and bam....CRA was all over me......finally got all the necessary forms filled out and started receiving my child tax benefits again and that took them 6 months....almost as bad as immigration!!!

bally21

Star Member
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2012
LANDED..........
28-07-2012
TVG said:
You HAVE to declare you are married, and they will need to see your marriage cert. If you lie to them, they withdraw funding etc

I said I was married but my husband was applying for PR and it hadn't come through, so I was supporting us both. They accepted that fine.

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
KJG said:
that is best.....all this things that pop up that one never thinks of ahead of time......it never in a million years occurred to me to advise CRA in October of 2011 that I got married because I receive child tax benefits.....then when I filed my income tax for 2011 I declared the change in my marital status.....and bam....CRA was all over me......finally got all the necessary forms filled out and started receiving my child tax benefits again and that took them 6 months....almost as bad as immigration!!!
You;re absolutely right. I just got back fortunately they still haven't submitted my file. I have an appointment to speak to an adviser tomorrow. Thanks for sharing what you went through, definitively do not want any problems later on.

TVG

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
AOR Received.
11-07-2012 (Vienna)
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
22-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012
bally21 said:
You HAVE to declare you are married, and they will need to see your marriage cert. If you lie to them, they withdraw funding etc

I said I was married but my husband was applying for PR and it hadn't come through, so I was supporting us both. They accepted that fine.
Thanks for the info. I will definitively tell them that.

IrinaAbdNova

Feb 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
30/10/2011
bally21 said:
I'm the Canadian, sponsoring my husband. I actually didn't think I'd get OSAP because you need to be in ontario for 12 months prior to the school year starting and last time I lived in Ontario was for 3 months in summer 2007. But because of a nice little loophole, I got osap. Basically I was born in Ontario, but lived in N.Ireland my whole life until I came to Canada for university. I went to university in NB and NS but because my parents paid for it and I didn't have a loan, I am eligible for osap because if I wan't at uni, I would still be an ontario resident because of my birth (and also my parents lived there so they consider it my home province) Confusing - yes! But it worked so I am pleased! It took them 4 months to process my osap because I had such a weird situation. I also only got a VERY small amount, it will only cover my tuition, so I will need a line of credit too, and this is because I'm married. But the saving grace was when I applied, my hubby didn't have status, he was just an immigrant, so I said I was the sole supporter and he doesn't have an income so I got the low income grant. All in all I got $7500 to last me a year, and my tuition is $6500! But I am not complaining, it'll definitely help!

Also on the same day as the visa coming, and my osap, we got our tax refund from the UK and I asked to change my UK provisional license to a g1, and they somehow gave me a g2! So I am legally able to drive here in Canada and I've never passed a driving test in either country lol..good news all around!
Thank you for such a detailed reply =)) Yeah wow your situation is confusing. I am glad you got it though =))
Now that you mentioned it I remember reading that you have to live in Ontario for 12 months. So basically when I come to Canada I have to wait 12 months before I can apply or in order to be eligible I have to have lived in Ontario for a year? :mad: Sorry I am a bit confused ??? The thing is, i am not really a newcomer, I lived and studied in Toronto for 4 years but I didn't finish all my classes. I've been out of Canada for almost 2 years now.

And also congrats on your G2 !!! You are on fire !!!!! :D

KJG, thank you also for your reply =)

bally21 said:
You also need a SIN number to apply and they do a credit check and a vehicle check and check your tax returns as well, so if you're in the process of being sponsored, you won't have any of that for them to check.
I have a SIN number, I have credit history (not a great one though), and I did tax returns for all the years I lived there except 2010 (that's the year I left). Does that help my situation =)?

And about the marriage, how does it affect OSAP if you are married?

Sorry about the off topic :-[, this OSAP stuff are new to me.

And on topic if anyone is interested. I am a feb applicant it has been 3 months since my husband was approved and I have not heard anything since :( :mad: