+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ

shahyan

Jul 27, 2009
Dear Members

I am going to apply next week for immigration to canada, Will you help me for calculate my points .

Education 12 + 2+ 3 (Inter+Bachelor+ 3 years MBA Degree) total 17 Yeras
Age 40 years
Marital Status Married having 2 kids
English
Listening Moderate
Speaking Moderate
Reading High
Writing High

Profession IT Manager (NOC 0213)
Spouse Education 12 Years full time education

Work experience More than 20 years (5 Yeras As IT Manager)

Pls guide me how much points I can obtain as per above information

walterg74

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
Can anyone advise or point me to a good link to know if my university degree is considered a "bachelor Degree" or a "Masters Degree" for CIC ? (I've been told both...)

Background:

1 - Prior Studies include elementary school (7 years) and High School (5 years), so 12 years in total.
2 - The degree is from a University, and the title is "Information Systems Engineer".
3 - This, after finishing the 12 years of school shown in point 1, demand 5 years to obtain, so
the total comes up to 17 years.

Thanks!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Where did you do your degree.

I think it would be considered an undergraduate degree because a medical doctor degree which takes 6 years is considered a bachelors degree.

However, if you want to do phd in engineering, you'd probably get entrance without a masters (to universities in Canada) but unfortunately CIC doesn't consider this.

walterg74

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
At the "Universidad Tecnologica Nacional" (National University of Technology) in Buenos Aires. It is the best one for engineering in the country, and from other ppl. I know who got the same degree, yes, like you mentioned, the PhD comes next, no other degrees/titles in the middle.

I'm not quite sure how a doctor's degree is there, but here it also takes 6 years but after that, you still have to specialize in something... medicine's a bit different it seems.. :D

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
read the last paragraph of page 19
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf

walterg74

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
Right, I saw that. But my doubt is because my profession is not clearly defined between a bachelor or a masters...

Between these:

1) A university educational credential of two years or more at the bachelor’s level,
and at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies
2) Three year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university
educational credential, and at least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time
equivalent studies
3)Two or more university educational credentials at the bachelor’s level and at
least 15 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies
4)University educational credential at the master’s or doctoral level and at least 17
years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies

I discard 2 because it says "other than a university", and number 3 as well because it says "TWO" credentials.

But between 1 and 4... number one would be suitable if you consider it to be a 3 year degree plus the 14 years education, but it's not the case... as this is 5 years, plus 12.

Regarding number 4, it doesn't state any duration at all for the credential, only that you have the credential and 17 years of study, which would match my case too.

However, as we don't have the naming as "bachelor" or "master" here, I don't know which it would be... 5 points can make a difference...

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You are correct, it could be 1 or 4.

A bachelors is a first degree and it says AT LEAST 14 years of education. So this line would also be suitable for people who get 6 years of undergraduate degree and say even 18 years of education like doctors from India, Pakistan, UK, etc.

So if yours is a first degree, then they will probably give only 20 points, even though you studied for 17 years.

However, i did hear about an accountant who sent in a letter saying that their accounting credential is equivalent to a masters degree. So perhaps you could try something like that.

Do you need the 5 points?

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Hi rupeshhari plz answer to my question,
I need some help from seniors regarding filling SCHEDULE 1 BACKGROUND DECLARATION FORM.(IMM0008-1)
The end portion of the form ,page 4 of 4 says,"DO NOT COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SECTION NOW.YOU MAY BE ASKED TO SIGN IN THE PRESENCE OF A REPRESENTATIVE OF A CANADIAN GOVERNMENT OR AN OFFICIAL APPOINTED BY CANADIAN GOVERNMENT"

Plz advise should I leave this part blank and what does it mean ?
Does it mean that i would ve to sign it at the time of interview but not every applicant gets an interview?
Kindly explain.
thanks n regards

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
yes dont sign it.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hi guys,
I think my question "for singles" deserves a place in FAQ :)

IMM008 Generic. Page 2 - Family members.
If I do not have any husband, common-law partner or children, do I have to list my parents and siblings in there? they are not in the guide, but they are the only family I have now:)?
Or should I just fill the page with "N/A"?
Thanks!

walterg74

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
From what I know, you HAVE to put the information of your parents and siblings in the relevant sections. It doesn't matter if you're single, since this form has to be filled out by all the applicants (if you did have a husband for example and he went with you, both of you would have to fill this form -2 forms.-)

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Hi rupesh thanks very much.I ve some more questions for u.I understand tht I ve to send 4 forms
IMM0008(generic)
IMM0008-1(Background declaration)
IMM0008-3(Economic Classes)
IMM5406(add. family info)

Plz tell me that only 1 form (IMM0008-1,Background Declaration) should be filled by both the principal applicant n the spouse (as no dependent s of age 18)
and rest of the 3 forms to be filled by the Principal applicant alone.Plz correct me if I m wrong.
Secondly should I paste the photographs on the space provided or just send them in another envelope.

thanks n regards

walterg74

Star Member
Jul 21, 2009
newcomer:

In the guide for federal skilled worker class, it clearly states:

Additional family information (IMM 5406)
This form must be completed by:
•You, as the principal applicant,
•Your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
•Your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

So of the 4 forms you mention, only 2 are meant to be filled out only by the principal applicant. The rest by all members...

You can find this guide here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf

(accessed from here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp )

Regards.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
walterg74 said:
From what I know, you HAVE to put the information of your parents and siblings in the relevant sections. It doesn't matter if you're single, since this form has to be filled out by all the applicants (if you did have a husband for example and he went with you, both of you would have to fill this form -2 forms.-)
That's exactly my question: is "family members"on IMM008 generic actually a relevant section for parents/siblings or not?
the guide does NOT require to fill in the info about parents/siblings in this particular section - only "spouses, common-laws and children". so if I do not have them, is it ok if I put "N/A"?
Or should I still give the info about parents and siblings, because they still are my family ?
I could still write about them just in case, but I do not want to make a mistake...