+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expiring PGWP (No ITA) BOWP

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
My brother has am expiring PGWP (in June) and an open profile for express entry (Canadian experience class). He has no ITA yet. We're worried because my working knowledge is that you can't apply for BOWP without an AOR, and waiting for the AOR to apply for BOWP may be beyond the expiration date for his PGWP. I looked at the CIC website, and it reads that to be eligible for BOWP, one must mailed their status as worker or be eligible to restore it. Does that mean my brother MUST submit the BOWP before his PGWP expires? If so, if his PGWP expires and couldn't submit his BOWP (before of AOR delays), what are his options to keep working under implied status? Is it the case where there is no implied status to work while waiting for BOWP if submission Is after PGWP expiration?

THanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My brother has am expiring PGWP (in June) and an open profile for express entry (Canadian experience class). He has no ITA yet. We're worried because my working knowledge is that you can't apply for BOWP without an AOR, and waiting for the AOR to apply for BOWP may be beyond the expiration date for his PGWP. I looked at the CIC website, and it reads that to be eligible for BOWP, one must mailed their status as worker or be eligible to restore it. Does that mean my brother MUST submit the BOWP before his PGWP expires? If so, if his PGWP expires and couldn't submit his BOWP (before of AOR delays), what are his options to keep working under implied status? Is it the case where there is no implied status to work while waiting for BOWP if submission Is after PGWP expiration?

THanks,
That's right, you need to receive ITA and have submitted your application (and have AOR) in order to qualify for a BOWP. And yes, at the time you apply for the BOWP, you must be holding a valid work permit.

Is your brother's employer willing to go through the LMIA process? Best option would be for the employer to get an approved LMIA so that your brother can switch to a closed work permit.

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
That's right, you need to receive ITA and have submitted your application (and have AOR) in order to qualify for a BOWP. And yes, at the time you apply for the BOWP, you must be holding a valid work permit.

Is your brother's employer willing to go through the LMIA process? Best option would be for the employer to get an approved LMIA so that your brother can switch to a closed work permit.
Thanks - would he (pgwp holder) be eligible to to restore status and get a work permit, or be in Canada and maintain status as a worker. If he doesn't have an option to have LMIA closed work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks - would he (pgwp holder) be eligible to to restore status and get a work permit, or be in Canada and maintain status as a worker. If he doesn't have an option to have LMIA closed work permit?
Not that I'm aware.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Under what circumstances? Where is he from?

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Under what circumstances? Where is he from?
He's from Taiwan. We're also looking for ICE. If he gets ICE work permit, from my understanding of implied status, he can continue working with an expired pgwp if ICE work permit is submitted before pgwp expiration. For BOWP, its a grey area from my understanding, continue working under expired ICE work permit while waiting for BOWP. But he hopefully wont need BOWP as he already has one year of work exp, the draw is just dead rn.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He's from Taiwan. We're also looking for ICE. If he gets ICE work permit, from my understanding of implied status, he can continue working with an expired pgwp if ICE work permit is submitted before pgwp expiration. For BOWP, its a grey area from my understanding, continue working under expired ICE work permit while waiting for BOWP. But he hopefully wont need BOWP as he already has one year of work exp, the draw is just dead rn.
Has he entered the draw because he chances of getting IEC in 2022 is very low.

Taiwan — Working Holiday
Quota: 940
First round of invitations: Week of January 17
Final round of invitations: To be announced
Invitations issued to date: 2,066
Spots available: 130
Candidates in the pool: 696

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
Has he entered the draw because he chances of getting IEC in 2022 is very low.

Taiwan — Working Holiday
Quota: 940
First round of invitations: Week of January 17
Final round of invitations: To be announced
Invitations issued to date: 2,066
Spots available: 130
Candidates in the pool: 696
We're looking at submitting to Young profession since he has a job offer for a contractor! He has yet to submit a profile

Bryan02

Star Member
Aug 8, 2016
So the job is in his field of education? If so go ahead.
Well not really. It's a project manager job with his undergrad in marketing. He did have 1 year of exp in "systems analyst" where he managed deployment of systems. Is it a stretch?