+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR and how can I get a driving license.Urgent help needed.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don't think that the member realizes that PR status is not a perpetual status, automatically. One has to follow the Residency Obligation to maintain the status.
Yes . I’d probably review the links ( if I was in their shoes )so they can make a decision on what route they want to take.
Wait it out , sans DL, till they are back in compliance, or apply to renew , with valid reasons on why they failed to be compliant.
Could be more than $50 bucks they’ll lose

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
you mean if I submit a renewal application when I don't meet RO, I may lose PR Status?
Well yes, of course. You need to meet RO before you submit your renewal application. Submitted it before you meet RO puts on on a path for having the application refused which will then trigger the process for your PR status to be officially revoked. The two are tied together.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
From what I know, PR Status is permanent, and I will never lose it unless I renounce (give it UP)

Is it not correct?
Definitely NOT correct.

Again, if you submit the PR card renewal and you don't meet RO, then the renewal application will be refused and that will also result in the loss of your PR status.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
Well yes, of course. You need to meet RO before you submit your renewal application. Submitted it before you meet RO puts on on a path for having the application refused which will then trigger the process for your PR status to be officially revoked. The two are tied together.
I called IRCC, the agent answering my call said I may apply for renewal and provide a letter of explanation but it is up to the visa officer to determine whether my application will be rejected or accepted.

Since ICBC accepts Passport + receipt of Renewable application as primary ID, do you think if I can submit a renewal application, get the receipt and then get my BCID with the ICBC.

After that, I apply to withdraw my renewal application?

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
If it were me, I'd embrace the transit system in BC and wait until meeting (even exceeding by a few weeks) to apply for the new PR card.
It is not just the Transit.

As I don't have any valid ID. my family members in China can't get their expired Passport renewed, and can't get the baby a new passport. I don't know if they can get a canadian visa yet, because they don't have passport in hand.

And also I can't get a BC service card, BC ID....etc. My kids is waiting for approval from school board, I am not sure if they can get enrolled in the public school nearby yet if we don't have valid PR card.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called IRCC, the agent answering my call said I may apply for renewal and provide a letter of explanation but it is up to the visa officer to determine whether my application will be rejected or accepted.

Since ICBC accepts Passport + receipt of Renewable application as primary ID, do you think if I can submit a renewal application, get the receipt and then get my BCID with the ICBC.

If you submit a PR card renewal application, you have to show the travel history for the last 5 years. Since you will only have one month in Canada (based on your other post), wouldn't the officer know instantly that you have not met the Residency Obligation?

Again...don't let the `want' to drive, jeopardize your PR status. Yes, it's a hassle to take transit but losing your PR status because you've applied for renewal knowing that you do not qualify...is a plan worth re-thinking, IMHO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

What are your H&C reasons for failing to meet the residency requirements? This is what you will need to include in the application along with evidence to support this argment and the strengthe of that will determine whether there's a chance of approval.

In terms of withdrawing, that's risky. IRCC won't always let people withdraw. I guess the question to you is how important is your PR status. If you are OK with the risk of losing PR, then go ahead and try this. If not, don't apply until you meet the residency requirement.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
It sounds like a number of decisions along the way resulted in a difficult situation. Given what you wrote about the reasons for not complying with RO and limited amount of time that you have in Canada for 5 year period, it seems very risky to apply for PR renewal.

In addition to what @scylla noted about potential for IRCC to disallow withdrawal, when I spoke with ICBC this morning they noted that the interim was only good for a couple of months. It is possible that they simply renew off the proof of original submission, but if you have withdrawn that submission, there is the potential thatyou would not be eligible for renewal.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
It sounds like a number of decisions along the way resulted in a difficult situation. Given what you wrote about the reasons for not complying with RO and limited amount of time that you have in Canada for 5 year period, it seems very risky to apply for PR renewal.

In addition to what @scylla noted about potential for IRCC to disallow withdrawal, when I spoke with ICBC this morning they noted that the interim was only good for a couple of months. It is possible that they simply renew off the proof of original submission, but if you have withdrawn that submission, there is the potential thatyou would not be eligible for renewal.
Right now I don't have any valid ID. I just want to have a photo ID.

Is it possible that

I submit a passport + receipt of PR card renewal to ICBC, get a photo ID

and then withdraw my PR card renewal application

With the photo ID, I can apply for mSP or driving license.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right now I don't have any valid ID. I just want to have a photo ID.

Is it possible that

I submit a passport + receipt of PR card renewal to ICBC, get a photo ID

and then withdraw my PR card renewal application

With the photo ID, I can apply for mSP or driving license.
The same Primary ID options apply even for a photo ID card.
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/Pages/Apply-for-a-BCID.aspx

https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

As I don't have any valid ID. my family members in China can't get their expired Passport renewed, and can't get the baby a new passport. I don't know if they can get a canadian visa yet, because they don't have passport in hand.

And also I can't get a BC service card, BC ID....etc. My kids is waiting for approval from school board, I am not sure if they can get enrolled in the public school nearby yet if we don't have valid PR card.
It's even worse, unfortunately. Even though they don't state that a valid PR card is required - just need to prove that you were legally admitted as a PR (which you were recently), but...

A person must be a B.C. resident to qualify for medical coverage under MSP. A resident is a person who meets all of the following conditions:

• must be a citizen of Canada or be lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • must make his or her home in B.C.; and
  • must be physically present in B.C. at least six months in a calendar year, or a shorter prescribed period.*

* Eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year.

[Source]
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligibleResidents

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

So now that you have more information, here and in your other identical post in the main PR Forum (this forum is for those moving from the U.S., generally)...what is the real need for a DL that would only be valid, at best, for 60 days. It would not allow you to get the most important thing that you mention above; BC Services Card/MSP to cover you and your kids because even if you were able to get a 5 year DL with photo, you have not met the requirements set by MSP to get health coverage because of your not meeting the PR Residency Obligation. It seems like you're going in circles.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
One has to follow the Residency Obligation to maintain the status.
[/QUOTE]

Now I know RO is the prerequisite and IRCC website says that you will not lose the PR status until some officer stops it.

yujue108

Jul 13, 2022
So now that you have more information, here and in your other identical post in the main PR Forum (this forum is for those moving from the U.S., generally)...what is the real need for a DL that would only be valid, at best, for 60 days. It would not allow you to get the most important thing that you mention above; BC Services Card/MSP to cover you and your kids because even if you were able to get a 5 year DL with photo, you have not met the requirements set by MSP to get health coverage because of your not meeting the PR Residency Obligation. It seems like you're going in circles.
Yes, it is the dead end I am in.

Looks like I have to wait for 2 years to apply for PR card and then get other ID.